Author Topic: FLATLAND  (Read 2296 times)

Offline ASC

• GF Inhabitant
FLATLAND
« on: October 21, 2009, 09:05:49 PM »
I wanted to keep this simple and state the word "Flatland" as is:

I am getting ASC back on the track so hit up ideas for event development.
To start the event must take place in Central Ontario, Canada. This is who we are and where we are from...in other words, our grounding point.

Most of you know by now, we are highly supportive of rider development, especially the youth of action sports. Correct me if I am wrong but is there a huge age gap in this community with the older and younger riders, or is it just loud talking/thinking, because The Bike Project speaks differently, and so do the battles/learning sections. These sections more or less bring everyone together be this online issue or not.

We are supportive for an AMs event, at the same time we do not want to exclude older riders since many have never stopped riding/supporting, and as said have only "Dropped Out For A Bit".

We want unity in some form during our events...since this has always been the way of ASC.
In truth this is the way of the Riding Family.

Cheers,

Neela

« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 06:03:41 PM by ASC »
RIDE......RIDE......RIDE

Offline ASC

• GF Inhabitant
Re: FLATLAND
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2009, 04:47:59 PM »
Space consideration: Indoor spaces: Port Credit Arena(we've had a Flatland event here before and  this past year it has been renovated), the two other spaces, buildings related to Arts but might take some convincing. One is located in Sauga, the other T.O.

Outdoor spaces: Dundas Square, Mississauga Civic Centre

Time: late summer 2010, or early fall. If the Art spaces allow then a Nov date would be cool.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 04:49:47 PM by ASC »
RIDE......RIDE......RIDE

Offline Pralex

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2009, 05:28:24 PM »
Neela, you know I'm on board for any event you put together.

Budz

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2009, 10:16:27 AM »
bmx  is= /\  :mellow:

Offline ASC

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2009, 07:20:30 AM »
I know BMX is Flatland...but tell that to the rest of the world Flatland IS BMX...  and does BMX even know ITS Flatland ;D

We need to print some T-shirts with the above. N

« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 07:32:35 AM by ASC »
RIDE......RIDE......RIDE

Offline TOflat

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2009, 07:31:08 AM »
Count me in for any event! I might've dropped off the face of the earth for a while but it was all because of work. A new bike is in the works so it'll need some breaking in. Port Credit arena is a definite plus if you can ever get that location again. I loved it, aside from the shattering my foot part. I'll avoid that in the coming years.

Budz

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2009, 08:55:56 AM »
I know BMX is Flatland...but tell that to the rest of the world Flatland IS BMX...  and does BMX even know ITS Flatland ;D

We need to print some T-shirts with the above. N

well, i just meant your attitude, love, and willingness to help push the sport was BMX.
but yea, what u said too! :beer:  ;D

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2009, 08:56:46 AM »
NEELA
NICE TO SEE YOU BACK INTO IT

IM A BIT OFF IN CALIFORNIA BUT I HEARD YOUR
SHIOOT IS COOL!

Offline ruedogg8

• Cliffhanger
  • Do it while you can!
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2009, 02:13:06 AM »
I'm very interested in this. I want 2 make a similar effort here in Seattle. Please let me know how you go about aquiring a space, (contacts and such).  Good Luck!!!

Offline ASC

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2009, 07:47:56 AM »
Insurance is the big key...and helps to be a woman...I kid about the latter part.  :mellow:

Once liability is available/sorted the doors open quicker. Sometimes a letter/proposal must be drawn up since the space has never had bikes on the surface. In some of the spaces we've had to demonstrate that there will be no dents, however tire marks/scuffing and such can be removed, but before doing, once a space comes to mind, the first thing I consider is the surface/Flatland riding.
So far all has been on concrete be it indoor or outdoor. I am always interested in the surface when dealing with Flatland, in addition to location.

It helps to have event/rental budget etc...Legit events can be costly. If you do not have money this is where a sponsor can help.

You have to do your research on the land lord be it city owned or not and know what is expected in regards to permits/paperwork. You should look professional when dealing with whomever since in most cases persons involved don't know you or anything about Flatland. As soon as one mentions BMX...reaction is they'll wreck the place, so it is important to explain what is Flatland BMX. I used refer to the Voodoo jam, because of all the various elements involved...There are so many examples to explain about flatland riding/space/events.

This just popped in my mind, it would be great for your history, to list some of the most noted places where Flatland events have taken place. Something in print/media format would be cool.
It is incredible from churches, art houses, airplane hangers, circus rings, to arenas. As long as the surface is durable, it is endless where Flatland can be presented/ride...Some of temples I've seen in Asia have amazing surface, and so do huge art gallery spaces...list goes on...You can showcase as art or sport...both...WOW... this is where, Flatland is exciting and a thrill, makes someone like me wish everyone knew and experienced these feelings about Flatland...Neela

« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 08:18:23 AM by ASC »
RIDE......RIDE......RIDE

Offline lachlan

• Cliffhanger
    • http://www.ontarioflatland.com
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2009, 07:54:57 PM »
awesome!!!
would love to see ASC create a flat jam again...
Always a blast!
LET[/size] [span style=\'color:orange\']LOOSE[/span] and never doubt[/size] yourself because if you do, you will fall.