Author Topic: Flatland Hand  (Read 5815 times)

blindingsun

Flatland Hand
« on: March 27, 2007, 01:34:54 AM »
does anyone else get this problem?? it fookin hurts alot, this is after 4 days of not riding.

Offline mog123

Re: Flatland Hand
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2007, 01:42:37 AM »
It's not from flatland, I had this kind of stuff a long time before i started to flatland.

It's because not wearing gloves. Especially in winter, you just have too dry skin. Try putting some balsam or hand cream(with glicerine) on it everyday after flatlanding and before sleep.

blindingsun

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2007, 01:44:43 AM »
no. it IS from flatland. i only ever get it when i ride. and it only started since i started riding flatland. hand creams and stuff dont help either.
ive tried stuff with steriod in too.. nothin

and Oh yeah,,, I only get it on my right hand,.

and just incase, i wank with both so,,,thats not the problem.

Offline Jesse Vetrone

• GF Inhabitant
  • Columbus can shove it. the world IS flat.
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2007, 02:39:53 AM »
i get it too. my hands are ruined, they are one solid, dry calous. and no matter how many times i wash them they are still like black on the palms

Offline Jeff

• Funky Chicken
    • http://
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2007, 02:56:26 AM »
It's not from flatland, I had this kind of stuff a long time before i started to flatland.

It's because not wearing gloves. Especially in winter, you just have too dry skin. Try putting some balsam or hand cream(with glicerine) on it everyday after flatlanding and before sleep.

I think he meant its from all types of riding, not just flat. And i actually never had this, i've had crazy calouses but not like rips in the skin or anything. I'm pretty sure good gloves or grips would stop it?

blindingsun

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2007, 03:13:56 AM »
Ive tried gloves. ive tried every grip out there

i never had this problem in 15 years of racing mountainbikes downhill...

gloves actually make it worse if anything..

Offline diabeticboy

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2007, 03:31:55 AM »
i had something kinda like that once but i got gloves that had gel in it and it stopped also got new grips. put some carmex on it and itll help the skin grow back

Thlayli

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2007, 03:42:36 AM »
I'm not a dermatologist, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express once...

That looks to me like a combination of things... dry skin, abrasion, and possibly a fungus of the same strain as athlete's foot. I used to get the fungus on my fingers when I worked in a Subway for a few years and had to A: wash my hands every few minutes, and B: put on those goddamn sanitary plastic gloves.

Try to get that crack to heal up as much as you can... I'd use Neosporin or something similar and keep it bandaged as best as you can. Try to baby it. If the crack seals up after a few days, get some Lamisil or Tinactin and try and treat it like regular old athlete's foot. If it starts to clear up after that, find yourself some good skin lotion (I like St. Ives) and keep your hands moisturized as best as you can manage.

But you shouldn't completely trust me on this; it's been several years since I stayed in that hotel. If you're worried (and insured) go see a doctor. Or a dermatologist.

If you're not all that worried, maybe you'll get lucky and it'll just go away.

Offline blind

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2007, 03:49:50 AM »
if u only get it riding flat maybe its from holding the seat weird or maybe the pegs.i dont really remember if ive had this b4 but i dont recall it.what seat,grips,pegs do u run?

Offline apexgard

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2007, 05:00:03 AM »
ive got a blister before in that same spot from worn grips. i could be that it too dry outside so it just cracked.

Max S

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2007, 05:08:07 AM »
I've seen this before and it is definitely NOT from riding a bike.  This is undoubtedly the type of injury that can only come from doing "THE FIVE FINGER KNUCKLE SHUFFLE".  You MUST use some type of lubricant. 

Offline 604 Rider

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2007, 05:24:48 AM »
maybe a long shot, but perhaps wash your hands frequently when riding. its posible a form of athelete's foot/ fungus that grows on sweaty hands. that particular area may be very susceptable. do your grips have flanges? that may also contribute.

couldnt hurt.
Go out and ride.

Offline nika

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2007, 10:17:53 AM »
Ugh, thanks guys, I was eating my breakfast.. 

My money's on some sort of fungus. That or you eat too many sausage egg and chip stotties.  ;D
sausages and plants and goldfish

ciaran perry

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2007, 11:36:34 AM »
yep i get exact same problems  hands are so hard i can put naked flame on em and not feel a thing , my guess is its just the british climate though as i found after 2 months in spain it all healed up and hands were relatively normal again and that was with riding more than usual so i just put it down to climate and riding .

blindingsun

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2007, 12:47:50 PM »
A Stottie a day keeps the doctor away,

this is not stottie hand...

and ive already said.. i jack off with both hands so its not from that...lol