Author Topic: G turns!  (Read 9396 times)

Offline Stubbleduck43

• GF Inhabitant
Re: G turns!
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2009, 08:43:44 PM »
I just pulled a bunch of G turns.  Some were more @ turns.  I just kept going and going.  ;D

Iriez

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2009, 05:05:04 AM »
Well this is sh*tty. I spent like 30 minutes typing a response when this thread first started, and I thought i posted it but i guess i didnt??? :( *sighs*

The way that I learned brakeless G-Turns is by going as slow as you possibly can and popping your rear end up, turning your bars and pumping. The motion of popping the rear end up and turning into the circle will naturally pump the bike.

It really only took me a day to start doing them in 360's. But bear in mind that i've been doing g-turn's by locking the brakes and spinning since i started riding flat a year ago. Which, by the way...i CANNOT do anymore! Everytime I try to lock my brakes and pivot i fly over the bars :)

The key to learning the trick is by controlling the rear end of the bike (keeping it in the air) by balance ...and by using the front wheel/bars as a learning aid. You'll notice that in this trick, like many others (hang 5s etc) that you can pop the bike or keep it popped by turning your wheel inward. As you start to get the hang of this, it will vastly help you progress through the trick. It feels like a cheat at first, but you'll eventually learn to do it without any wheel turning aid :)

Infact, you get a pretty nice balance/stability by turning and keeping your body on the outside of the bike. By doing this, your front pegs will be pointed more towards the ground and the sky as opposed to parallel with the ground.

body posture is key. VERY IMPORTANT : The flats of your knuckles should be facing YOUR FACE! You want to keep your wrists as straight and pointed forward as much as possible! you DO NOT want your knuckles facing downward towards the ground as they naturally do when you grip the handlebars.  By having your hands positioned in this manner, you will get at least twice as much balance within the trick.

You'll notice in my videos that im very far forward. Your face should be pointed down towards the ground and you should be looking at a spot on the ground roughly 6-10 inches ahead of the front wheel. If you cant manage this, then you'll be falling back onto the ground every single try. Falling forward is a good thing! And its a very easy trick to bail from, despite what it looks. After a day of attempting it you'll be a pro :)

You do not want to lock your elbows. Keep them slightly bent, but once you start the trick they want to be RIGID.

As for foot placement....it doesn't really matter which foot is forward in regards to which way you turn. I turn to the left and my left foot is forward...which is probably backwards :) But works fine for me!

Old vid of g-turns with me using brakes:
g-turns bloopers and success Small | Large

Recent video with some good G-turns: (at 56s you'll see my head is like 2 + feet AHEAD of the front wheel!!! I cant express enough...LEAN FORWARD!!!)
Progress video (and some bails) Small | Large

A g-turn with a pivot/scuff:
Brakeless 720 G-Turn with Pivot Small | Large

Im happy to help with any questions or further pointers on the trick...im brain dead right now so i cant thunk no more!

Offline sharp4130

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2009, 01:22:33 PM »
Rob Compton - G-Turns Small | Large

RIP - COMPTON!

Offline AK

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2009, 02:32:44 AM »
 Start rolling backwards nosewheelies down parking ramps or whatever that will help give you a feel for that ,and learn pedal squeekers too that will show you how to lean forward enough and you can roll them too..Then I learned to grab my brake spin a 180 fast and just let go of my brake..If your not rolling backwards on your wheel your probably not leaning forward enough..A few months of doing them like that and then I finally learned them brakeless which by then was pretty easy...Took only like sessions to get the hang of that..You just carve a tight nosewheelie and the bike should automatically G turn and youll be rolling backwards..I tried them initially brakeless but it would scare me haha so  learning them with brakes first was the only way I got it..best trick ever

Offline cmc

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2009, 04:35:53 AM »

this is street . .. but got some front brake nosewheelie / gturn shreddage
Front Brake Magic 2

Offline The Brown Sound

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2009, 03:27:52 PM »
thk you guys x100000000..Now to get some balls and just try em. Rolling into them is def the way I want to do them. I'll try backwards first to get the feel and go from there. The good thing is you can always tap the front brakes to drop it if you feel like you're going to far fwd. thx!!!!!
I'm like the brown LL Cool J.

Offline GRFN.FLAT.

• Deathtrucker
  • that's some scooby-snacks right thurr
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2009, 04:43:03 AM »

this is street . .. but got some front brake nosewheelie / gturn shreddage
Front Brake Magic 2

i don't get why street/park riders don't use front brakes...they open up so many possibilities.

petition to macneil to make travis collier do a g turn tutorial! haha he is tha masturr

Offline tmp

« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2010, 11:56:02 AM »
I thought a link to 'Travis Collier - How to 720 G-turn' would be more entertaining than watching me do 45 degree turn, so enjoy:

http://bmx.transworld.net/21030918/videos/how-to-720-g-turns-with-travis-collier-january-18-2007/

« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 04:38:53 AM by tmp »

Offline brian84corvette

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2010, 10:25:38 PM »
wow that video irez posted the first one using brakes to g turn he was getting slammed
way to go bro...   id have to not try that trick so much if I was getting bashed to the ground like that a bunch of times...       good stuff tho in all the videos...  I like it all
Old dudes can still rip

Offline GRFN.FLAT.

• Deathtrucker
  • that's some scooby-snacks right thurr
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2010, 10:52:03 PM »
i found that i could do g turns fine on my 20.5" frame but when i moved to a significantly smaller and lighter bike, i couldn't at all without getting bucked. any tips?

Offline Mr. Acid Green

• Backpacker
  • beware of the TROLL.
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2010, 01:55:14 PM »
i found that i could do g turns fine on my 20.5" frame but when i moved to a significantly smaller and lighter bike, i couldn't at all without getting bucked. any tips?

do it from the back pegs :wacko: im serious try that... i find less claustrophobic ( i have long legs :mellow: )
please dont set yourself on fire.