Author Topic: fork cable cut out  (Read 3429 times)

Offline 87master

• Funky Chicken
fork cable cut out
« on: September 27, 2009, 12:27:38 AM »
Ive got a pair of the older odyssey pro flatland forks. They dont have the cable cut out.

Can i just cut a piece out, or are forks with cut outs made stronger in this area to compensate?

I can just about run my cable without it catching the wheel if i tape it to the forks, but its a bit close for comfort.

Offline Furball

• GF Inhabitant
  • New York rules, Boston drools!
Re: fork cable cut out
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2009, 01:08:30 AM »
Ive got a pair of the older odyssey pro flatland forks. They dont have the cable cut out.

Can i just cut a piece out, or are forks with cut outs made stronger in this area to compensate?

Don't do it. It will void the lifetime warranty!
Remember, grammar is the difference between "I helped my uncle Jack off a horse", and "I helped my uncle jack off a horse".

I just started getting into flatland stuff about 3 days ago and suck so far, I blame my sh*tty bike and lack of practice.

Offline 87master

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2009, 01:14:41 AM »
I really aint that bothered about the lifetime warranty, dont want to seriously weaken the forks though.

Offline Stubbleduck43

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2009, 01:27:42 AM »
I wouldn't cut anything.  Just use a zip tie and you'll be good.

Offline pawnshopmike

• Cliffhanger
    • http://www.ebay.com/sch/pawnshopmike/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2009, 01:34:45 AM »
Instead of a cutout I always drill a hole for the cable. It's a little harder to fish your brake cable threw the hole but you never have to worry about it moving around or rubbing on the tire.

Offline Paradoxium

• Administrator
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2009, 03:39:57 AM »
Instead of a cutout I always drill a hole for the cable. It's a little harder to fish your brake cable threw the hole but you never have to worry about it moving around or rubbing on the tire.

Thats a really good idea. You could open it up to 5mm or so, and have the clearance needed without cutting a massive section out.  :beer:

Offline 87master

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2009, 11:56:34 AM »
yep, thats a good idea.
Ill do that :)

Thanks.