Author Topic: Septemberīs Rider of the Months - Sean Fontenot  (Read 3402 times)

Offline Mr News Bot

• Robot
  • GF Inhabitant
    • global-flat
Septemberīs Rider of the Months - Sean Fontenot
« on: September 26, 2009, 04:59:18 PM »
Our latest ROTM hails from Long Beach, in sunny California.  After that amount of injuries Sean has had, I´m amazed he can still ride, let alone walk! Here´s an awesome quote from Sean himself to whet your appetite.

"I can honestly say that if it was not for flatland, I would be much less of a sane person right now. Going out and riding everyday is very seriously what keeps my sanity. It keeps me from depression, sadness, anxiety and a slew of negative aspects. I only love few things in life, and flatland deserves a very valuable place on that list." - I couldn´t agree more... Read the whole story.

Offline b_ron

• GF Inhabitant
    • PbNation
Re: Septemberīs Rider of the Months - Sean Fontenot
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2009, 08:23:22 PM »
wooooo sean!!!!
Signing out...

Offline sneakflat

• Backpacker
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2009, 08:30:23 PM »
very nice. iv never figured out how pple can ride 10-30 hrs a wk. iv never been able to go more than bout an hour per practice  :P tell me your secrets!
I say to them its flatland and their like ?!?! :huh: im like  :rolleyes:

Iriez

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2009, 12:40:03 AM »
The first 1-5 month's of riding I could not ride for more than about a hour or a hour and a half. Its exercise like anything else so it wears you down. As you acclimate you can endure more.

I've ridden as much as 6 hours straight now. Of course I cant walk the next day :P

Just keep pushing yourself and you will slowly build more endurance.

Prasheel

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2009, 10:08:28 PM »

As much as I find building up physical endurance to lengthen your sessions is important.  I find mental endurance is just as important.  A HUGE motivator for me, is filming.  Buy an okay digital camera (doesn't even have to be a video camera, I've always used just a regular digital camera that happens to take video), buy a decent sized memory card, a pack of double A batteries, and start filming your sessions.  I find it motivates me into the "one more try" mode, where I say "one more try" over and over and over because I want to get it on film so I can watch it.  Might sound kind of self absorbed, but I love watching my own riding, makes it easier for me to feel proud of all the work I've put into it when I can see it from a third person prespective.

Also, I LOVED all the references to countries have great beer as a reason to travel to them, haha, so fantastic!  I <3 beer.

:beer:

Iriez

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2009, 02:07:09 AM »
I find the same thing true, and also for another reason: Filming really motivates me to nail that trick/link I've been trying. When im trying to learn something new, or progress on something recently learned, I can sit there for hours and just replicate the trick over and over....however filming seems to make that process smoother and more motivational.

It definitely helps push that 'one more try' mentality. My hands are sore, my knuckles hurt like hell from gripping...but im gonna go turn on that cam right now and pull that damn link if it kills me :P

I also made a video for this ROTM nomination/selection, but morgan has not posted it so until he says yeh or nay I wont post :)

As much as I find building up physical endurance to lengthen your sessions is important.  I find mental endurance is just as important.  A HUGE motivator for me, is filming.  Buy an okay digital camera (doesn't even have to be a video camera, I've always used just a regular digital camera that happens to take video), buy a decent sized memory card, a pack of double A batteries, and start filming your sessions.  I find it motivates me into the "one more try" mode, where I say "one more try" over and over and over because I want to get it on film so I can watch it.  Might sound kind of self absorbed, but I love watching my own riding, makes it easier for me to feel proud of all the work I've put into it when I can see it from a third person prespective.

Also, I LOVED all the references to countries have great beer as a reason to travel to them, haha, so fantastic!  I <3 beer.

:beer:

Offline khoma

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2009, 02:11:57 PM »
"ride, let alone walk"?

Offline NickBMX

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2009, 04:29:26 PM »
Belgium - I’ve always loved the beer and the people, and most of what I hear of the food is good. Belgium has always been my #1 touring destination, so I might as well throw it on the list to ride at for good measure.

well, i live in Belgium and i can tell you that Belgium should be his number one !  :beer:

to bad there aren't any flatlanders  :angry: