Author Topic: front brake, need help!  (Read 3993 times)

Offline enfusion81

• Funky Chicken
front brake, need help!
« on: March 14, 2007, 06:03:36 AM »
I really need some feedback on this. I've set up front brakes that worked before(although not to my full satisfaction). Anyways, I had to disconnect my front brake so that I could retighten my loose headset.

Now I can't adjust my sprint tension correctly! I've tried so much now. I've got Diatech hombre brake with fiesta upgrade.

Here is what I really want to know, the right brake-arm--which is the "bottom" arm and is pinched to the cable-- always moves first. I mean, when I tension the spring it just pulls back so much, while the other arm is always so close to the rim. I CANNOT solve this at all.

So I've always rode with my brake like that, right arm has good distance but left arm always has brake-pad close to rim. Is this normal actually?

My other option is to play with the barrel adjusters & pull both back far, which means mushy brakes that are near useless, but it won't scrape the rim.

Please advise me on this, brake setup is enough to make one cry  :angry:
Oh, please no reponse such as "just go brakeless" b/c I actually kinda do need one.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2007, 06:06:57 AM by enfusion81 »

Offline enfusion81

• Funky Chicken
Re: front brake, need help!
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2007, 06:23:45 AM »
Hahahah, oh the irony of it all... I got some ideas reading the post about brakes pads RIGHT after I posted.  ^_^

Still need halp, can't quite figure out about the one arm that moves while the other one barely moves, but I'm pretty sure it has something to do with me not getting it right yet...
« Last Edit: March 14, 2007, 06:44:18 AM by enfusion81 »

Offline Jeff

• Funky Chicken
    • http://
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2007, 07:26:23 AM »
If one arm doesn't move, then i'd assume that there's too much tension in that spring. Try loosening it up, maybe that will help? I duno its been a while since i've dealt breaks, so i may be talking out my ass here.

TJ Perry

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2007, 10:26:01 AM »
Take the brakes off the mounts completely and wipe down the mounts with a towel or a rag. Throw a tiny drop of grease on each mount and rub it around so the mounts are well lubed up.

Clean up your brakes from old grease and dirt with a rag... make them look as pristine and clean as possible.

After that's all said and done throw the brakes back on the fork making sure that the springs are on THE CORRECT SIDES. Huge problem there for people who don't set up brakes all the time.

Make sure that the front wheel is all the way in the dropouts and not a tiny bit off on either side. If the wheel isn't centered properly, the pads won't touch the rim at the same time.

If everything above fails you... spend the 2 bucks and get some new springs for your brakes and go through and do everything I just mentioned again.

Offline nika

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2007, 11:21:29 AM »
And make sure your cable isn't too long/short that it pulls/pushes the brake arm over.
sausages and plants and goldfish

Offline out~riding

• Global Team
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2007, 11:50:25 AM »
Before you put the cable on adjust the tension of the springs.

Use your sensibility in your hands to get equal tension on both sides.

This way you know the tension is the same on both sides and the cable isnt interfering.

Then put in the cable, if you still notice there is more pull on one of the sides, give the springs more tension.

(make sure your cable is running smooth)

TJ Perry

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2007, 04:30:13 PM »
Before you put the cable on adjust the tension of the springs.

Use your sensibility in your hands to get equal tension on both sides.

This way you know the tension is the same on both sides and the cable isnt interfering.

Then put in the cable, if you still notice there is more pull on one of the sides, give the springs more tension.

(make sure your cable is running smooth)

Or you could just do it the way I said and get it perfect the first time without going back and doing it again.

Offline enfusion81

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2007, 11:59:25 PM »
Thanks everyone, I'm going to work on it again tomorrow since I have an evening class tonight. I can practically taste the success of a dialed brake.  ^_^

Offline KineticNRG

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2007, 06:33:09 PM »
You could do what TJ says, or just head over to your nearest bike shop and they will know what to do. All they will do is check it out and tell you what to do. Then you do what they say and its done. Its much easier to diagnose the problem and come up with a solution when the object is right there in front of you. Thats why having someone actually looking at it is better and you will get a more accurate answer.

I recommend that you hang out at a bike shop and watch what they do to other peoples bikes or fix everything on your bike by hand, so you understand everything on your bike and can do your own maintainance. Thats what I did and now I completely understand my bike. In fact im actually replacing a broken bb cup today. Woo hoo, i finally get to ride after 2 weeks!
« Last Edit: March 15, 2007, 06:37:57 PM by ibanezeda »
"All that brakes do is slow you down"

TJ Perry

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2007, 09:20:00 PM »
You could do what TJ says, or just head over to your nearest bike shop and they will know what to do. All they will do is check it out and tell you what to do. Then you do what they say and its done. Its much easier to diagnose the problem and come up with a solution when the object is right there in front of you. Thats why having someone actually looking at it is better and you will get a more accurate answer.

I recommend that you hang out at a bike shop and watch what they do to other peoples bikes or fix everything on your bike by hand, so you understand everything on your bike and can do your own maintainance. Thats what I did and now I completely understand my bike. In fact im actually replacing a broken bb cup today. Woo hoo, i finally get to ride after 2 weeks!

Please. Do not go to a bike shop.

NO bike shop in Richmond knows how to f*cking work on 990s. I've seen them set them up. They don't know how to set the tension in the brakes, and forget smooth cable pulls. They don't know how to cut the proper length cable or do anything right. Shops for the most part, are pretty much clueless last ditch solutions that people should turn to when they are technically incapable of setting a bike up on their own (Ie, parents, the elderly, people who have never tried working on a bike themselves).

Offline enfusion81

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2007, 11:30:56 PM »
Concerning bike shops, I don't think I'd go to one of my local ones for anything bmx-specific, for now at least. There just aren't any around here that seem to support bmx in any way except to sell a few haros and redlines. I would just go for general stuff such as buying a tube of grease, etc.

But probably the main reason is, as much frustration I get from "wrenching" on my bike, it also gives me great satisfaction. For me, working on my bike and practicing my bike mechanic skills is as much a part of my bmx experience as riding. I might not have the best bike around, but I like knowing that I put it together myself.

Just sucks when you have to do repairs & maintenance when you want to go riding instead.  :ph34r: