Author Topic: Beginner questions  (Read 7959 times)

Offline bagsntrane

Beginner questions
« on: September 11, 2009, 03:04:51 AM »
Hey,
I am new the forum first of all. I have enjoyed watching flatland for about 3 years but now i want to learn how to do it. I did some searching of older threads and found out some of the major brands of bikes and some models. There is a bike dealer near me that only sells Harro and Mirraco bikes. Im assuming the mirraco bikes bikes wouldnt be suitable since dave mirra isnt a flatland rider, or is he? I would like to spend as little money as possible while still getting something that wouldnt be a hunk of junk because i still am not sure if this is something that i will stick with. I would also like to state that im a complete noob when it comes to bikes in general. My knowledge of them goes as far as riding. As Im searching around what kind of specifics on bikes would I be looking for? Thanks!!

-Tony   

joshs.

Re: Beginner questions
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2009, 03:15:28 AM »
i started out with a bike from the local shop for bout $200. i still managed to learn most of the basics despite it not being a flatland bike. it helps to have a bike made for flatland but its not necessary. you might find a complete bike for cheap on the for sale part of the forum.

Offline letsgo

• Backpacker
    • Ketch Bikes
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2009, 03:48:12 AM »
Well we can start with "What make a bike a Flatland bike?"  Any bike with 4 pegs will be a good start.  A bike that would be good for flatland would be short in length and when beginning maybe a front and rear brake.  Look on craigslist in your area or maybe get a GT Slammer cheap and would work for the time being.  Like Josh said check the sales here.  As you progress you can upgrade and swap out parts.

Offline Lurtz uruk

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2009, 04:38:31 AM »
yea, i agree with booth posts, any bike will work really, and 4 pegs helps. I started with a cheep redline recon and thats DIRT!!!   Now a year later it looks totally different and its flatland. I learned lots of stuff on it and even decades  ;D   So really u dont need to worry if ur starting, once ur good enough u can start worring about bikes and parts.

Offline Bradlandr74

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2009, 04:56:49 AM »
www.flatlandfuel.com

They offer a couple complete bikes in the $300-$350 price range.  :beer:

Regards,
B

Offline jewboyfresh

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2009, 05:24:27 AM »
just make sure the axel on the bike u buy is long enough. i had to ghetto rig my first bike before it got stolen.
It is better to destroy than to create what is meaningless.

Offline sackley85

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2009, 05:08:43 PM »
Whether you get a lower end complete off flf or a used gt or whatever in your area, your best investment would be at least 1 odyssey frequency g tire for the front wheel and a pump with a pressure gauge (at least up to 100 psi, but hopefully 150 or so). High PSI makes a world of difference.

Oh, and welcome! Whatever you end up with, just have fun.

Offline bagsntrane

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2009, 11:58:13 PM »
How long should the axel be?

Would transforming a bike I already own into the most basic of bikes suitable for learning flatland be an option? What major features/specifics would the bike i am transforming have to have?

I did some searching on craigslist and i found this

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/bik/1366684097.html

What do you think of this bike? Thanks!!!

-Tony
« Last Edit: September 12, 2009, 12:40:49 AM by bagsntrane »

havok

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2009, 02:41:01 AM »
^^^ if you have a bike already, don't buy that.
your axles only need be long enough for the peg end and a FULL nut.
don't use knobby tires if you can help it. brakes are good for starting out.

it's very hard to tell you everything you might want, just get pegs on and
start riding. start with peg wheelies, fork glides, and endos.
as you get better get better parts.  search the threads as you do to get
a feel for what MOST people seem to be doing, then your questions will
be more specific.  that'll get you better answers.
post a pic. of what you have.

good luck

Offline GRFN.FLAT.

• Deathtrucker
  • that's some scooby-snacks right thurr
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2009, 05:29:15 AM »
yea, i agree with booth posts, any bike will work really, and 4 pegs helps. I started with a cheep redline recon and thats DIRT!!!   Now a year later it looks totally different and its flatland. I learned lots of stuff on it and even decades  ;D   So really u dont need to worry if ur starting, once ur good enough u can start worring about bikes and parts.

i agree, i'm riding an 08 haro f2 and pretty much i could get a taste of flatland for $350, and the only now that i'm trying to step my riding up do i find certain features annoying (cassette hub, 7in bars, full offset fork), but it was GREAT to just get into the sport. i reccommend looking first for a $300ish bike to start on and once you have finances and are sure you want to go forward with it :). also, ya need 4 pegs and a front brake. welcome to flat, man.

Offline bagsntrane

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2009, 06:14:25 AM »
Take into consideration the bike i would be transform is a cheap bike that is probably crap compared to the bike I would be buying.

What kind of pegs would your recommend to buy? I saw the Plegs on flatlandfuel, but are there any other options for a better price?

I think i am going to take the long term transformation approach. Are there any objections since the bike is some cheap bike that is still in good shape?

havok

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2009, 05:36:22 PM »
pegs are mostly a personal choice.  i had the 1.5" diameter Alchemy pegs
but they kept my ankle sore.  i switched over to the turbine pegs ( i think
they're 1.75" diameter) and no more ankle problems.

no objections on the cheap bike, just ride.
riding is the most important thing. riding, riding, and more riding.
let us know how it works out.

Offline dogzilla

• Funky Chicken
  • you tell me
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2009, 03:06:47 AM »
Make sure you have a front brake.  if you stick with it and don't you'll be kicking yourself for it.  I hated riding with out a front brake.  I t opens a lot of stuff up to try.

Offline bagsntrane

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2009, 12:40:35 AM »
Today I removed all of the unnecessary gadgets such as reflectors and chain guards from my bike. Being that this bike is a cheap, it has one of those brake systems where you backpedal and it applies the brakes. I is it possible to get rid of this? Is it possible to learn basic flatland tricks with this feature?

Offline dogzilla

• Funky Chicken
  • you tell me
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2009, 12:49:27 AM »
you shouldn't have a problem learning basic tricks like fork glides and peg wheelies, but I don't think you'll be able to do anything backwards.  :huh: