Author Topic: Chains and 9t driver  (Read 2251 times)

Chains and 9t driver
« on: September 11, 2009, 02:04:53 AM »
Oki can some one tell me why a standard bmx chain doesnt work well with a 9t driver?
Reason im askin today i was cycling and every so often my chain would get super tight and a horrible crunching sound....at first i blamed my cranks and my hub....but the hub is brand new 9t geisha lite bu i stripped it and regreased it any way....and my cranks i did the same and made sure every thing was aligned.....but still kept getting that horrible grunching noise and my chain would eventually fall off....later on it i took it off and seen that 2 of the links plates had snapped and small dents in the link plates....the chain was a basic ybn chain u find on beginer bikes.....any way back to my question why wont standard chains work well with 9t drivers.......and wat chain would you recomend(also do lite park)

Offline Pat

• GF Inhabitant
Re: Chains and 9t driver
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2009, 02:33:31 AM »
well for some reason all the non flatland freecoasters seem to be way more expensive so ya keep that in mind  :P depends how light light park is :P
SLOflatlander-Central Coast California Flatland

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2009, 11:39:00 AM »
My freecoaster holds up fine lol was aksing about chaindas lol

Offline mr.cool

• Forkglider
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2009, 12:01:10 PM »
http://www.customriders.com/prodshow.asp?prodid=6059&cat=12&parent=1001&sid=3

I run 9-25 and no problema with this little boogie down chain.

Offline Pat

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2009, 02:27:26 AM »
i may be wrong but all the street riders around here just use a normal chain, like the same one i use, but idk they seem kinda pussy ish so idk about that  :P
SLOflatlander-Central Coast California Flatland

Offline brian84corvette

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2009, 09:12:17 AM »
the thing for you to check is sprocket alignment to driver alignment.

take your bike and flip it upside down - so the bars and seat are on the ground
and grab a straight edege of something long enough to reach from your crank sprocket,  to your rear cog on the driver.

if it is more than 3mm out of paralell to eachother - this is why your chain falls off.

the most ideal setup is having the chain run exactly paralell to both gears.
but I find when setting up some bikes - the geometry of the bb and the rear triangle messes with the good alignment of both gears,   causing the need of spacers on either front or rear gear to get them back up to spec,   or finding a gear with offset teeth to one side for a better alignment pattern.

a second thing to check is the sprocket it self.
some times sprockets can get a tiny bit loose on the crank bolt that holds it on,  and develop a little bit of a egg shape on where it mounts to the crank spindle causing it to basicly spin out of round as you pedal,  creating a tight spot in the chain and a loose spot in the chain.
alot of people fail to diagnose this problem - and always wonder whats wrong.
Old dudes can still rip

Offline Flatland-Cris

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2009, 01:23:43 AM »
ive just got a standard chain and 9th on back n 18 on the front n i dont get any problems! seems strange
Keep it flat!