Author Topic: KHE Minimalism stem  (Read 9373 times)

Offline Hugo @ Portugal

• GF Inhabitant
    • FlatlandPT
Re: KHE Minimalism stem
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2007, 06:19:46 PM »
Im thinking of buying one of these but I'm so afraid it strips...

My TECreatec just suddelny stripped without warning... I wonder if lubrificating the bolts is good or bad...

Offline spix

• Team
  • Cliffhanger
  • Gábor [HUN]
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2007, 07:09:31 PM »
haha to be honest i really didn't like this stem but i based my opinion on the pictures that were published of it.. now i have seen it personally and i must say i changed my mind.. i have a suelo stem and it is the most relyable stem and i don't plan on replacing it. it is a bit long but that's all.. the minimalism IS mini. it's so small i cannot compare it to any other stem. plus it's super light but i don't think it makes a big difference -_- i'm not buying one right now but this is the nicest stem on the market right now in my opinion.. so maybe later if i don't hear about stripped bolts..
peace :beer:
flatland lives!

Offline brany

« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2007, 07:27:13 PM »

My TECreatec just suddelny stripped without warning... I wonder if lubrificating the bolts is good or bad...

lubrification is definetly not good in case of stems... if you lubricate the bolts, they are easier to tighten but also easier to over-tighten and though strip the thread...

Offline ColinSmith

• Backpacker
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2007, 07:32:17 PM »
Lube and do not overtighten?

Offline 604 Rider

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2007, 07:04:26 PM »

lubrification is definetly not good in case of stems... if you lubricate the bolts, they are easier to tighten but also easier to over-tighten and though strip the thread...

i have to disagree. torquing a bolt down properly always reqires a lubed bolt. if you can stri out the sem threads using just hand strength and an allen key. there is something wrong. lubricant also protects the threads from wear and seizing from corrosion.

i doubt if anyone here uses a torque wrench on their bikes but, if you're stripping stems, maybe consider it.

also NEVER put a wrench on the end of a allen key unless you are loosening a stubborn bolt.
Go out and ride.

Offline rarman1

• Forkglider
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2007, 12:26:26 AM »
The Minimalism looks nice but I question how long it will last.

Instead of having the load of the face plate acting against 4 bolts, it is acting on 2... people crack normal face plates and I can see this bring a problem.

i chose the flat 26 for that reason, and its very good ;D

Offline Matt hartley now in tucson

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2007, 09:42:05 PM »
bump....does anyone have a pic of this stem on their bike?

TJ Perry

« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2007, 10:03:57 PM »

Offline nika

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2007, 02:57:12 PM »
I've just put one of these on my bike, and so far so good.

No slippage as yet, and easy enough to set up.

I'm totally amazed at how small, light and unobtrusive it is.

I thought the 4mm bolts on the front looked too thin and weak, but so far they have a good hold on the bars without me having to go anywhere near overtightening them.

And thank heavens I've got away from the 50mm offset my old stem had, it's made a huge difference.
sausages and plants and goldfish

blindingsun

« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2007, 02:59:50 PM »
wow.. thats WAAAY shorter than Tj's

Phatman

« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2007, 03:25:29 PM »
^ Agreed that things tiny! like 30mm Offset instead of 48mm!

Offline Sweatpants

• Backpacker
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2007, 12:17:32 AM »
i've got one (see st. martin pics) on my bike also. it's turning out to be a champ. small, out of the way, and holding sound. so far i like it. i'm surprised that more manufacturers aren't spending the extra $2 on helicoils for their stems.

Offline nika

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2007, 10:01:51 AM »
My bars already look massive in photos, and the teeny tiny stem just makes 'em look bigger..

Hurry up and make those bars Chase!
sausages and plants and goldfish

Offline Hugo @ Portugal

• GF Inhabitant
    • FlatlandPT
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2007, 08:52:04 PM »
if you can stri out the sem threads using just hand strength and an allen key. there is something wrong.

Of course there is something wrong! You're tightening a steel bolt to an aliminium body! Same goes to overtightned chains because the sprockets are aluminium, they will get messed up for sure, simple physics...

This is why I'm eager to get a "minimalism" by KHE, those steel inserts may just be the soltuion to stripping stems...

jim shorts

« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2008, 03:13:21 PM »
The Minimalism looks nice but I question how long it will last.

Instead of having the load of the face plate acting against 4 bolts, it is acting on 2... people crack normal face plates and I can see this bring a problem.

well, after a year of use, my minimalism stem is on the way out. the threads and helicoils are all intact, but there is visible distortion of the metal on the two pieces that grip the bars. the bolts themselves are no longer free-turning in the plates-they turn (off the bike) very hard.  anytime i bang my bars, they let the bars slip about an inch. i don't think there was enough material in the two pieces that clamp the bar. the instant my finances allow it, i'm going with the Sequence Hook stem. that stem from what i've seen is sound as a pound. i don't see it failing after only a year.