Author Topic: KHE Minimalism stem  (Read 9316 times)

dojo

KHE Minimalism stem
« on: March 14, 2007, 01:53:13 AM »
this seems to be the new player on the block, tho i haven't heard a peep about it.  it is marketed as having "steel inserts".  this is helicoils or equivalent right?  i'd like to hear from someone who has used and possibly abused one.  many thanks.

Offline Jesse Vetrone

• GF Inhabitant
  • Columbus can shove it. the world IS flat.
Re: KHE Minimalism stem
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2007, 02:01:19 AM »
Tj, do you have one or is that the camucura....

dojo

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2007, 02:12:02 AM »
for what it's worth, i've just stripped out my own Camacura. i'm hoping the KHE is more stout in the thread dept.

Offline Jesse Vetrone

• GF Inhabitant
  • Columbus can shove it. the world IS flat.
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2007, 02:15:55 AM »
REALLY? ive never heard of that, camurcua is teh sex.

I heard of the old khe flat stems stripping alot, but ive not heard much about the minimalisim.

TJ Perry

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2007, 02:17:22 AM »
You won't have that problem with the KHE. There seems to be steel inserts so what you're doing is screwing steel into steel, unlike the Camacura which I've heard strips out very easily (I wouldn't expect less from that stem) The KHE is like a god damn pitbull. I barely tightened my bars and stem down just to see how well the clamping power was and I've been riding at least 3 or 4 hours a day for the last 5 or 6 days I've had this stem and NOTHING has slipped. I've taken some pretty hard slams learning some new barflips to hikers and nothing's moved.

I'd say if you have the choice or opportunity, pick this thing up because it's the best stem I've ever seen or used. Plus the back end is super super knee friendly. I used to get all sorts of bruises from doing plastic-men from hitting my knee on the bolts on my old ares, but there's nothing that bothers me on this stem at all. Super smooth.

Definitely 9/10 in my book. The only reason I didn't give it a full 100 is that I havn't had it long enough to really see how it will hold up. Only time will tell.

dojo

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2007, 03:00:50 AM »
very good sir. you've said what i wanted to hear.

cheers  :beer:

TJ Perry

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2007, 03:03:14 AM »
very good sir. you've said what i wanted to hear.

cheers  :beer:

Word to the wise. If you get it, pay attention to the directions on how to set up the stem. Tighten the fork clamping portion first THEN the bars. I can easily see how that would f*ck the stem up if you don't do it right.

Offline ijdevil

• Cliffhanger
    • myspace
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2007, 04:09:28 AM »
Thank you answered my question before I asked it (sorry old Odyssey Stem)

Offline out~riding

• Global Team
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2007, 11:44:03 AM »
I have to say from the first prototype photos I seen I did'nt like it.
The final production stem is a little better looking but I still dont like it.

I still have no ideia how people are always stripping stems.
I never stripped a thread on any stem I had.
The only reason I can see is that some people just over tighten the bolts untill they strip. You have to put in mind that there is a limit and people pass that limit than things go wrong.

Anyway, back to the stem, steel inserts seem good but i havent had the chance to look at it carefully. After all it seems that the steel inserts are screwed into the stem then the bolts are screwed into them. If you over tighten it your gonna be in trouble anyway. I could be wrong, I dont know, like I said I never stripped a stem.

TJ Perry

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2007, 06:20:59 PM »
I have to say from the first prototype photos I seen I did'nt like it.
The final production stem is a little better looking but I still dont like it.

What about the stem don't you like? And could you please write in black so that it's easier to read?

Offline coaster

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2007, 08:52:36 PM »
The steel stuff inside sucks . It broke after my friend changes his bars.

Offline ijdevil

• Cliffhanger
    • myspace
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2007, 09:29:12 PM »
i don't overtighten my stem so I don't have to worry about stripping, I just want something lighter and shorter reach

Offline SurfonFlatland

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2007, 01:03:49 PM »
I have the minimalism stem. 
It has not stripped(if a stem is going to strip on me, it is the first day).

They use 4mm bolts in the front and 5mm bolts in the rear, so if you plan on running 43 products gold bolts, dont count on it.

The only thing is, that when you want to adjust the stem around the steerer tube, you must first loosen one of the two face plates, before loosening the steerer tube clamp.

Other than that, an extremely nice stem.  No knee banging!!
The following is the truth.  The preceeding is a lie.

dojo

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2007, 07:25:02 PM »
top notch Tyler. good info. I guess now my only concern is of my emerging interest in driftwood and pea gravel.

Offline Jesse

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2007, 11:36:33 PM »
The Minimalism looks nice but I question how long it will last.

Instead of having the load of the face plate acting against 4 bolts, it is acting on 2... people crack normal face plates and I can see this bring a problem.