Author Topic: Paining wrists due to increasing backsweep?  (Read 5969 times)

Offline Pralex

• Deathtrucker
Paining wrists due to increasing backsweep?
« on: August 28, 2009, 09:59:28 PM »
Anyone else have this problem?

I just switched from my Ody Chase bars, 6* back, to WTP Helium Highs, 12* back, and my wrists have been hurting ever since I switched.  It could also be the fact that I went from 26" wide to 24" though.

I wish I could just go back to my Ody bars, but they're being sent in for warranty, so atleast I'm not stuck without any bars for the next while.

Appreciate any feedback.

Oh yeah, my wrists never hurt when I was using these bars previous to the Ody's, so maybe its just that I got used to the Ody's now and my wrists are all confused.

Offline brian84corvette

• GF Inhabitant
Re: Paining wrists due to increasing backsweep?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2009, 03:49:57 AM »
I experience the least amount of pain in my wrists when using 0 back sweep bars.

some how having backsweep pains my wrists verry badly when using bars with it
like my old school bike has S&M slam bars on it - and they hurt the heck out of my wrists
Old dudes can still rip

Offline DaviD (dave0)

• GF Inhabitant
  • Flatland from Israel
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2009, 02:27:56 PM »
it could be the fact its wider, or that you got used to.

And this might be the main reason, if you have more backsweep and you do tricks with bars backwards (like switch hand steamrollers) it will make the wrist twist more..

maybe also different flex on the bars

Offline ASC

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2009, 06:24:25 PM »
Use some sort of wrist guards or flexors...N
RIDE......RIDE......RIDE

Offline sakis

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2009, 06:42:56 PM »
take a handlebar that doens hurt you,your wrist have been used to another position and now they take all the pressure and they can cause you bigger trouble.
i recomend 1 month of from riding for better results and of course see a doctor to tell you if there is just some pressure from the smaller handlebar or it pains from a small injurie.
when i changed from a wide handlebar of 60 cm to a narrow of 53 cm and lower also my wrists got f*cked up since then.
rest your hands.
switch handlebar if it doenst fit comfortable.
 good luck
wristguards held me very much ,buy those with the scratches and put some sweat wristguards inside if you have pain .

Offline alex@H

• Backpacker
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2009, 11:42:21 AM »
you have to pay attention: i had pain in my wrists too and one day i couldnt control my fingers anymore. couldnt hold a paper, pencils were falling down, when i tried to grab them- had no power! went to the doctor: some nerves were damaged, which means, that i couldnt ride for some weeks..

Offline metalbmxer

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2009, 09:17:28 PM »
Upsweep diffs
Dax (now in LAS VEGAS as of July 2022)

Offline SurfonFlatland

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2009, 09:51:19 PM »
Upsweep and 0 backsweep will cause your wrists to hurt.  0 Backsweep is by far the worst feel, and idea for a set of handlebars.
The following is the truth.  The preceeding is a lie.

havok

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2009, 09:56:28 PM »
I experience the least amount of pain in my wrists when using 0 back sweep bars.
Upsweep and 0 backsweep will cause your wrists to hurt.  0 Backsweep is by far the worst feel, and idea for a set of handlebars.
:huh:

Offline Stereolab

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2009, 11:41:03 PM »

QFT.  There is a reason why every other kind of bicycle has backsweep on the handlebars.

However, I don't doubt that, once someone is already used to zero, some backsweep will lead to wrist pain.

Offline broke_khe

• Backpacker
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2009, 04:34:29 PM »
i hit the punching bag and my wrist broke i think lol i can barely do pushups now  :angry: hOPE I DONT HAVE TO FIGHT  :wacko: I STILL RIDE THO WITH ITIF IT WAS BROKEN IM SHURE I WOULDNT BE RIDING FLATLAND huhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

mAYBEE IM WEAK lol

Offline SurfonFlatland

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2009, 09:37:46 PM »

QFT.  There is a reason why every other kind of bicycle has backsweep on the handlebars.

However, I don't doubt that, once someone is already used to zero, some backsweep will lead to wrist pain.

Switching from 0 backsweep to bars with backsweep relieved pains in my wrists almost immediately.  Upon installing bars with upsweep, pain began in my wrists almost immediately.

The following is the truth.  The preceeding is a lie.

Offline Mambocowboy

• Backpacker
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2021, 11:49:04 PM »

Switching from 0 backsweep to bars with backsweep relieved pains in my wrists almost immediately.  Upon installing bars with upsweep, pain began in my wrists almost immediately.
Anybody try minimal backsweep with more upsweep? For example 2 back, 4 upsweep?

Offline anthony

• Backpacker
  • You live for something or die for nothing....
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2021, 02:07:50 AM »
I had some ares APLUS low and the specs were ok at the moment , Up Sweep 0 ° and 3 back... I was riding 19.5 frame in that moment and 49mm stem w zero offset fork, very fast setup with those bars, no problem with my wrist, Have you tried wider grips, that helps to improve grip and stability (to me) .

Offline Mambocowboy

• Backpacker
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2021, 03:12:06 AM »
I had some ares APLUS low and the specs were ok at the moment , Up Sweep 0 ° and 3 back... I was riding 19.5 frame in that moment and 49mm stem w zero offset fork, very fast setup with those bars, no problem with my wrist, Have you tried wider grips, that helps to improve grip and stability (to me) .
I do have wide grips. Just trying to figure out the best angles as I plan on getting custom ti bars eventually. I've tried 3/3, currently on 2/2 MOC bars.