Author Topic: scuffing making a come back?  (Read 16463 times)

Offline Nails

• Cliffhanger
Re: scuffing making a come back?
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2009, 02:36:51 PM »
theres a diference between suffing and kicking

what is there difference? for those of us who are newer to flatland
still learning

Offline Jason Rideout

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2009, 05:48:31 PM »
for scuffing your foot is constantly pushing and draging on the the tire to maintain balance. a kick is done once or twice to gain foward or backward momentum usually after the bike turbines.
does where's waldo ride a fixie?

Offline misterpola

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2009, 06:53:30 PM »
hey there i just wanted to see what you guys think of the new chase web videos and how he does alot of scuffing tricks?do you think scuffing will ever make a big come back?
I thinks there's not even 1 of chase's videos where he doesn't scuff.
He always scuffed and will ever scuff.
I don't think that's a "come back"

Offline tod miller

• GF Inhabitant
  • ATX Crew, rollin' deep!
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2009, 07:23:48 PM »
scuffing with hands [next gen.]!
Roman Schiaverelli is already doing this.

----So was Grasso in 88 1/2' or so (backyard style), and that hangnothing kid was doing hand-buzz front yards/hang5's as a joke then too ha-ha.

jffe

The kid doing hand-buzz hang fives was Dave Fox.  The beauty of it, was the fact that he would do them hauling ass.  I know he did them as a joke, but it was pretty cool if you ask me.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 07:29:13 PM by tod.borndead »
"A puppet no more!"

the beard

« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2009, 07:25:38 PM »
I think (used in moderation) scuffing can be both useful and stylish.  I like riding that has a good mix of a lot of things. Too much scuffing, or too much pumping can be just ...too much.
Hand scuffing is interesting. I've farted around hand scuffing hitch hikers, started out as just a last ditch trick saver tho.  ^_^
« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 07:30:39 PM by prana »

katobmx

« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2009, 07:36:08 PM »
theres a diference between suffing and kicking

what is there difference? for those of us who are newer to flatland
scuffing is more of a rubbing of the tire. you actually pull your foot back on the tire to control the speed.so in scuffing you have more control over your speed.

TJ Perry

« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2009, 09:25:28 PM »
Just because someone is scuffing doesn't mean it's making a come back and just because the top competing pros don't scuff doesn't mean that it's gone away. :)

Offline bob-o

• Backpacker
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2009, 01:00:03 AM »
scuffing will always be a part of flatland like it or not..
also, with the right person scuffing can be just as smooth as rolling..

the same thing goes for brakes and no brakes.. brakes will always be a big part in flatland.. :ph34r:
FLATLAND FUEL ROCKS !!!!!

Offline Mike Dood

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2009, 02:09:08 AM »
You gotta know how to scuff a lil there's tricks that just need a scuff or 2 or 3... don't bring up how many pros don't scuff either please... there pro's and.... you....me....and the other guy.... aren't!  :)

Offline MIKE EVANS

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2009, 06:49:34 AM »
scuffing will always be a part of flatland like it or not..
also, with the right person scuffing can be just as smooth as rolling..

the same thing goes for brakes and no brakes.. brakes will always be a big part in flatland.. :ph34r:
This is completely valid. Something alot of people dont realize, is that just like pumping, there is a "Style" to it. Some guys can pump and you hardly see any movement out of them and its very fluid. Scuffing is the same. Some guys can do it so smooth, Then some will do it all jerky and sloppy looking. I think it all comes down to style.
I also agree totally with the moderation opinions. I dont wanna see a guy scuff a half packer for three circles around the floor to set up for the next trick. On the same point though, I dont wanna see some guy pump a steamroller for three circles around the contest floor trying to set up for the next trick. Both methods are great and can be extremely useful in making combos last forever. Both methods can look ugly or pretty, and both methods can be over-used.
In the end, I wouldnt consider any method or even trick to be completely out-dated. Ive always hated elbow glides and once I learned how to Dave Duster in and out of Hitch Hikers, I never did another one again. Honestly, I really have not seen ANYONE do them in the last 10 years....Until Voodoo. York Uno brought that trick out of retirement, added a new school twist to it and made it look entirely Badass. It was amazing the number of riders that started doing that trick again during the outside practice session at Voodoo just because of York Uno. LOL
EDIT: Sorry, I totally forgot about Day Smith doing them (Elbow Glides) no footed several years back. But even as hard as that was, it still didnt cause others to want to start doing that trick again the way that York did.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 06:53:29 AM by Back4Good »
Formerly Known As Back4Good. (all the talk about people hiding behind screen names prompted me to change.)

the beard

« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2009, 07:19:14 AM »
Will Redd's the dude that brought elbow glides back imo. No disrespect to York of course. :) Love York!

Offline tod miller

• GF Inhabitant
  • ATX Crew, rollin' deep!
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2009, 07:24:08 AM »
Will Redd's the dude that brought elbow glides back imo. No disrespect to York of course. :) Love York!

And his forward side glide variations are sick.
"A puppet no more!"

TJ Perry

« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2009, 07:36:27 AM »

Will Redd is f*cking DESTROYING elbow glides. I saw those texas videos and he's one of my favorite American riders right now. He absolutely rips!

Offline Stereolab

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2009, 08:34:54 AM »
Kevin Jones has been doing elbow glides on the pedal for ten years now...and Day Smith's no footed elbow glides are insane...show some respect boys, im sure theyre rootin for ya.

Offline Jason Rideout

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2009, 08:50:30 AM »
like to see york turbine the elbow glide like he does on the steamroller, that would be sick!
does where's waldo ride a fixie?