Author Topic: nankai problems?  (Read 2154 times)

Offline Rock Force

• Funky Chicken
nankai problems?
« on: March 08, 2007, 04:36:57 AM »
hey guys. up until today i've been riding a cheap diamondback, but i recently picked up a nice true flatland bike from a guy. i got it all together and it's great and everything, but i think the nankai is having some problems. i can't get a hold of the guy right now, so i figured i'd ask here. i don't really know exactly how a freecoaster is supposed to work, but it just doesn't seem to be working right. firstly, it makes a clicking sound whenever i'm coasting forwards (not a regular click, it seems like a bad click if i know anything), but more importantly, the cranks move backwards occasionally when i go backwards. it happens more when i engage it forwards and then stop and try to go backwards. any other time it works but i just don't think it's supposed to do that. it also doesn't seem to be spinning as much as it should, either. i think it might need some grease but i have no idea where to start. i don't know anything about freecoasters really, so any help on how i might be able to fix my problem would be great.

thanks,
john

Offline therifraf

• Backpacker
Re: nankai problems?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2007, 04:51:19 AM »
sickchildbikes.com
functionbmx.com

Budz

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2007, 06:21:00 AM »
hey guys. up until today i've been riding a cheap diamondback, but i recently picked up a nice true flatland bike from a guy. i got it all together and it's great and everything, but i think the nankai is having some problems. i can't get a hold of the guy right now, so i figured i'd ask here. i don't really know exactly how a freecoaster is supposed to work, but it just doesn't seem to be working right. firstly, it makes a clicking sound whenever i'm coasting forwards (not a regular click, it seems like a bad click if i know anything), but more importantly, the cranks move backwards occasionally when i go backwards. it happens more when i engage it forwards and then stop and try to go backwards. any other time it works but i just don't think it's supposed to do that. it also doesn't seem to be spinning as much as it should, either. i think it might need some grease but i have no idea where to start. i don't know anything about freecoasters really, so any help on how i might be able to fix my problem would be great.

thanks,
john

ive been seeing alot of freecoaster questions on here. u probably could have checked the other posts and gotten the info u needed.
either way, heres the best advice goin round right now-
Flatlandfuel.com has a section on nankai freecoaster maintence. check it out..im sure u will find it very helpful.
1-go to flatlandfuel.com
2-click on LINKS
3-u should see "freecoaster maintenance" at the top left corner of the page.
4-click it
5-fix it
6-RIDE! ;D

TJ Perry

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2007, 08:49:25 AM »

thanks,
john

Well the clicking sounds like you just need to pull it apart and regrease it. It's really simple to figure out how to take apart and put back together once you see how it works when it's open.

Also, the freecoaster needs to disengage with a slight backpedal before you can start moving backwards without the cranks moving.

I hope this helps.

Offline KineticNRG

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2007, 07:19:08 PM »
I had the same problem with mine, ive taken it apart, regreased it, and finally one of my bb cup bearings died, so i came to the conclusion that the problem was the bb bearing, i havent gotten my new bb cups from ff but they are on their way. Ill tell you if my problem stops when i get em and put em on my bike. It is nice to know that someone else has the same problem that i do.
"All that brakes do is slow you down"

Offline KineticNRG

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2007, 06:01:25 PM »
I got the new parts today! Ill put em on after school and tell you if the clicking stopped.

Oh. and i missunderstood what you were trying to say on your first post... you were hearing clicking when you coasted. Id heard it when i got to the botom apex of pedaling.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2007, 06:05:31 PM by ibanezeda »
"All that brakes do is slow you down"