Author Topic: Help with choosing detailes for wheels  (Read 3057 times)

Offline Yorgi

Help with choosing detailes for wheels
« on: February 26, 2007, 08:39:30 PM »
Hi everybody
I wana change my wheels  on new and can't stop on some detailes, help please or just tell what you prefer

Front wheel:
Rim:(only 36H)
1) Demolition Zero Rim;
2)Gsport Ribcage Rim;
3)Odyssey 7KA rim;
4)Primo Balance Rim 7005;

Hub::(only 36H)
1)Arestic BOO
2)Profile Mini 3/8" Front hub
3)G Sport Marmoset Hub
4)Fly bikes
5)Shadow Rant Front Hub

Spokes:
1)USA Titanium
2)Cabacura 13g
3)your example

My wheels:(now i've got)
Rims: Odyssey Hazard Lite (36H, Chrome)
Spokes: DT Swiss (Chrome)
Front hub: Primo Pro (Chrome, 6 sealed bearings, 36H)
Freecoaster: Nankai Techno Lite Freecoaste (Chrome, 36H, 12T, 10mm)

Help please ;D

Offline Flatpanda

• Cliffhanger
Re: Help with choosing detailes for wheels
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2007, 09:51:24 PM »
I'm ordering a new wheelset at the moment too.
I'm getting the Primo Balance 7005 on the back with the Ares 13g spokes, which should be a strong and light combination.
For the front i'm getting a Sun Rynolite, but they won't take 13g spokes so i'm getting the Camacura Mach 3, which taper from 13g to 14g. With Geisha hubs on both.

I wanted something a bit stronger on the back because i'll be hopping about a bit, and more importantly, crashing alot.

I'm no expert, but there's method to my madness.  :beer:

Phatman

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2007, 10:10:59 PM »
Ribcages are fuggin AWESOME, the Marmoset id by far the smoothest hub i have ever seen. and why dont you just upgrade your Nankai, like a profile shell and stuffs? just lace it up with D.T competition spokes and your sorted!

Phatman

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2007, 10:13:15 PM »
Ok i know there on my bike but theres the Ribcages & a marmoset with D.T Spokes for yah.

Offline da613

• Forkglider
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2007, 03:27:03 AM »
get the g sport hub for the front, if i could relace a new wheel and had money myself, i'd go for that!!

geisha on the freecoaster maybe... hmm sealed....

Offline MikoSuave

• Forkglider
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2007, 06:33:29 PM »
I just built up a new set of wheels recently. I went with the Primo Balance rims as they were one of the lightest rims out that you don't have to worry about sacrificing quality for being light weight. Went with the Camacura butted 14/15 spokes - the butting is kinda weird though as the transition is sharp (as opposed to it gradually tapering). Looks like they would snap but are holding up really well so far. Out of the Nankai, KHE and Ares coasters, I went with the Ares (lightest) just to try it out. I haven't even broken it in yet so no real news to report on that one. The KHE and Ares are both sealed though which is always nice. I got two front hubs, the Chris King and a Suzue sealed low flange. Both are beyond light. the suzue is simple and very reliable and the king...well it's a king. I laced in the King hub and kept the Suzue of backup. Also got longer bolts for the King hub and a longer axle for the Suzue for them to accomodate pegs. I'm really happy with the set-up so far - super super light, strong 3 cross laced and awesome quality in all the parts. I haven't reached a verdict on the Ares hub yet. I guess I'll post that up later....

Phatman

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2007, 07:07:35 PM »
Ive heard and seen some bad things about balance rims with spokes pulling through and rims cracking all park & Street riding though.

Offline Yorgi

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2007, 08:49:41 PM »
i want sealed hear hub and don't like Geisha, so i'lltake ares boo freecoaster also it is the lightest freecoaster now

Rim? i dont know what rim is better 7KA...; Balance rim...; Gsport...
what will work great with titanium spokes or new 13g Camacura spokes?

Does anybody know anything bad about sport or profile front hubs, and also has anyone tested new Arestic front hub?