Author Topic: Searching for a new frame...  (Read 5756 times)

Offline Anni_BCN

Searching for a new frame...
« on: July 13, 2009, 01:37:30 PM »
Hey,
I'm searching for a new frame. I would like to have a light and small one and of course not that expensive.
What can you recomend me?
Thanks...

Offline K.Wong

• GF Inhabitant
Re: Searching for a new frame...
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 02:33:50 PM »
would love to help, but it would be helpful if you could narrow down your requirements; eg: 17.9 - 18.5mm or 18.5 - 19mm top tube; straight tube design only, double-triangle diamond frame only, or bendy frames only; BB's prefrences - euro, spanish, mid or usa ......etc.

some people here would consider the hoffman's strowler light, but for others anything not titanium or double-butted, alloy/ ti locknuts and bolts is heavy, so ... ...?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 02:35:21 PM by K.Wong »

Offline Anni_BCN

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 03:31:07 PM »
thanks.
I'm not so deep in the technical details but I will try to describe my requirements better. Now I have the Da-Function. But I would like to have a smaller and mainly lighter (now 2.48 kg) one. I think for the size the top tube is the crucial factor, doesn't it? Now I have a TT of 18.66. I like simple frames. I have dropouts of 10mm and a euro BB. It would be nice if I don't have to buy everything new if I change the frame now. But anyway could you tell me what are the differences between the BBs?

Beside do you know if there are new frames planed for the next months?
Or do you know a good old one which I could try to find with ebay?

I checked the strowler and I like it. This kind of frame would be nice.

Offline out~riding

• Global Team
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 05:36:01 PM »
... Now I have the Da-Function. ... . I have dropouts of 10mm and a euro BB. It would be nice if I don't have to buy everything new if I change the frame now. But anyway could you tell me what are the differences between the BBs?

The Da-function comes with a unsealed MidBB... so if you want to keep that BB/crank setup you need a frame with a MID BB.

Also do you plan to use rear brakes? Not many frames have this option so that will narrow your options.

katobmx

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 09:08:22 PM »
Militant LT 4.7lbs(light) 129.99!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! supa cheap, suelo simple 179.99, 4lbs both at Flatlandfuel

Offline pawnshopmike

• Cliffhanger
    • http://www.ebay.com/sch/pawnshopmike/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2009, 03:50:56 AM »
The St. Martin Class X2 would be a great choice also. $199 at flatlandfuel.

Offline Anni_BCN

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2009, 04:29:04 PM »
Hey, thanks for your answers.
Now I checked the frames.
From design I like most the Suelo Simple (1795 g, 18.8" TT)
The St. Martin Class X2 is available with a 18.1" TT (1810 g)
And the KHE Paris 2 is the lightest (1550 g, 18.8" TT)

What are you thinking about the Paris. I read really good and really bad things. Anybody who has experience with it?

I also read that the length between the seat and the bar doesn't depend only on the TT. Is that true? Do you think the Suelo is a big frame or a small one?

Sorry if my questions are stupid and thanks for your help...

Offline K.Wong

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2009, 04:57:14 PM »
i'm using the st. martin effiel now, 18.2 tt length, spanish bb. was a mid-schooler who just got back into flatland, so my area of knowledge in regards to frames is relatively dated.

i find the Effiel frame a-tad flex-y, especially around the bb and rear dropout areas. the Diamond frame (which is the straight tube 'kin' of the effiel, so to speak) should suffer from the same maliase as they share the same dropout and bb design; i stand to be corrected, diamond frame users pls feel free to chime in.
the welding on both my frame and my gf's effiel were good and on the diamond frames that i saw, quite unlike TJ Perry's experience.

Hey, thanks for your answers.
Now I checked the frames.
From design I like most the Suelo Simple (1795 g, 18.8" TT)
The St. Martin Class X2 is available with a 18.1" TT (1810 g)
And the KHE Paris 2 is the lightest (1550 g, 18.8" TT)

What are you thinking about the Paris. I read really good and really bad things. Anybody who has experience with it?

I also read that the length between the seat and the bar doesn't depend only on the TT. Is that true? Do you think the Suelo is a big frame or a small one?

Sorry if my questions are stupid and thanks for your help...

i wouldn't recommand khe fames as their frames (here in globalflat) have a reputation for cracking, and resale value for khe's are low.

i had a g2 quamen, enjoyed my time with the g2's, and the reviews for quamens are generally positive, and their resale prices are steady; so my vote is for the quamen cypher.

yes, the lowered tt of effiel, at 18.2" feels alot roomier than my ares choosie at 18.5". the off -centre seattube of the cypher will also have the same effect (roomier) versus a 'normal' straight tt frame.

www.g-sport.com - george french articles help me find way in this new age of flatland, i think they would be of great help to you too.

all the best,
kelvin

Offline Luis Elías

• Team
  • Deathtrucker
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2009, 05:01:52 PM »
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5z9NtwN_Um8[/youtube]

Offline K.Wong

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2009, 05:25:58 PM »
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5z9NtwN_Um8[/youtube]

view the clip above with a caution. it could be a case of brand sabotage...

in all fairness, patrick schoolon at flatlandfuel stated in a previous thread (use the search button <paris 2 breaking/cracking>) that the frame warrenty claims on khe frames through flatlandfuel are slighty lower than average (if i remembered correctly, and it means khe frames are more durable in reality than internet-ality) when compared to certain brands sold at flatlandfuel...

Offline marc viso

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2009, 11:27:37 AM »
thanks.
I'm not so deep in the technical details but I will try to describe my requirements better. Now I have the Da-Function. But I would like to have a smaller and mainly lighter (now 2.48 kg) one. I think for the size the top tube is the crucial factor, doesn't it? Now I have a TT of 18.66. I like simple frames. I have dropouts of 10mm and a euro BB. It would be nice if I don't have to buy everything new if I change the frame now. But anyway could you tell me what are the differences between the BBs?

Beside do you know if there are new frames planed for the next months?
Or do you know a good old one which I could try to find with ebay?

I checked the strowler and I like it. This kind of frame would be nice.

hey i'm in the same situation as her...i ride a dafunction and i would like to buy another frame, in soulcyce there are Suelo Simple2, kgb palmero and khe militant stealth for 199 euros...what would you recomend to me??

havok

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2009, 04:07:31 PM »
the Palmero has the 18.6" TT and a 13.38" rear end.
your Dafunction has 18.66" TT and a 13.46" rear end.
the palmero has a slightly steeper HA at 75 degrees and
a slightly mellower SA at 71 degrees.  weighs 330 grams
less.
i weigh 200 lbs and this frame is strong.
i highly recommend it.