Author Topic: Is the WHOPPER a flatland trick?  (Read 10670 times)

byke

Is the WHOPPER a flatland trick?
« on: July 12, 2009, 12:11:28 PM »
Well that is my question, "technically" it was originally a "flat" trick .... (big props to Bill Nitshke)
But times have changed and it has been heavily inducted into various other BMX disciplines.

My question is this, (and it is by no means an oldschool versus newschool thread)

I see that a double whopper dropin has done at the worlds (see video below).
Has flatland progressed to a place that intentionally limits itself now, or is this just a natural progression? Has our need for such extremities of weight saving caused our own self demise in terms of progression and evolution?

Is there a happy medium ? or will it just be classed as newschool street?
And if newschool street does evolve from flatland, where will that leave flatland ? Have we come to a point where new tricks are viable, but flats existence is provident to self demise at a quicker state?

See section : 1:49

http://freecaster.tv/bmx/1008526/bmx-worlds-2009-highlights-of-the-braun-spine-pro-finals

EDIT ::::
I want to add that even if we hold such high regards to flat and its users abilities, I cant imagine seeing a flat doing a double whopper on flat any time soon..
« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 12:13:35 PM by byke »

Offline Bear-Lt

Re: Is the WHOPPER a flatland trick?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 12:32:45 PM »
That wasn't double whopper. That was double tailwhip, because it was made into the curb. Whopper is a bunnyhop tailwhip made on flat ground. I say, that whopper is a flatland trick, but only when it's used for linking (like it's used (not completly) in Mathias' (whopper into steam boat or something), Adam's (Halfcab whopper into halfpacker, I guess) or ... (Japanese rider) McCircle whoppers.

byke

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009, 12:40:20 PM »
That wasn't double whopper. That was double tailwhip, because it was made into the curb. Whopper is a bunnyhop tailwhip made on flat ground. I say, that whopper is a flatland trick, but only when it's used for linking (like it's used (not completly) in Mathias' (whopper into steam boat or something), Adam's (Halfcab whopper into halfpacker, I guess) or ... (Japanese rider) McCircle whoppers.

When you claim its not a whopper, do you mean that the coping helped him generate pre pump?

Or that the slight offset of the transition drop allowed him a foot or so extra drop / air time?

From looking at the video you can clearly see its a whopper drop in, as the front tire doesnt even touch the coping on the bunnyhop.

Offline Bear-Lt

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2009, 02:34:08 PM »
I mean, that he landed a lot deeper, than he started. That's why it's double and not a whopper. Just a tailwhip drop in.

Offline DaveDeBuono

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2009, 03:14:31 PM »
yes, the whopper is a flatland trick.
life is short. stunt it.

byke

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2009, 03:28:02 PM »
So you cant whopper into a ramp?

byke

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2009, 03:31:32 PM »
Whopper Off the Box - Terry Adams Small | Large

Offline DaveDeBuono

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2009, 03:42:21 PM »
oh so you're just asking if whoppers off things are whoppers or tailwhips? it seemed to me you were wondering what is the point of flatland if we will never whip more than once(i only think this because you said this:

Has flatland progressed to a place that intentionally limits itself now, or is this just a natural progression? Has our need for such extremities of weight saving caused our own self demise in terms of progression and evolution?

And if newschool street does evolve from flatland, where will that leave flatland ? Have we come to a point where new tricks are viable, but flats existence is provident to self demise at a quicker state?

if its just technical trick name question, then i think its too petty to matter. to me a whopper is a bunnyhop tailwhip, so say either. although if it were all up to me id say its a double tailwhip because he used the ramp to his advantage, terry did a tailwhip off a box, and the name whopper would be saved for when describing a completely flatground hop whip, but only for common understanding purposes.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 03:46:48 PM by DaveDeBuono »
life is short. stunt it.

Offline Furball

• GF Inhabitant
  • New York rules, Boston drools!
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2009, 03:45:28 PM »
Nope. The whopper is a burger sold by Burger King. Same goes for double and triple whopper.
Remember, grammar is the difference between "I helped my uncle Jack off a horse", and "I helped my uncle jack off a horse".

I just started getting into flatland stuff about 3 days ago and suck so far, I blame my sh*tty bike and lack of practice.

the beard

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2009, 03:58:22 PM »
Well that is my question, "technically" it was originally a "flat" trick .... (big props to Bill Nitshke)
But times have changed and it has been heavily inducted into various other BMX disciplines.

My question is this, (and it is by no means an oldschool versus newschool thread)

I see that a double whopper dropin has done at the worlds (see video below).

See section : 1:49

http://freecaster.tv/bmx/1008526/bmx-worlds-2009-highlights-of-the-braun-spine-pro-finals

EDIT ::::
I want to add that even if we hold such high regards to flat and its users abilities, I cant imagine seeing a flat doing a double whopper on flat any time soon..

How would not being able to do double whoppers on flat ground spell the end of flatland progression? If anything, our lighter bikes would move us closer to that, yes? We haven't done backflips yet, but that doesn't mean flatland is dead. There's a world of tricks out there that haven't been done. Maybe I'm missing your point?
ride on

« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 04:00:55 PM by prana »

Offline DaviD (dave0)

• GF Inhabitant
  • Flatland from Israel
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2009, 03:59:00 PM »
i think i saw waldemar fatkin going for a 1.5 whopper or double whopper?

its in flatfighters 4 vid i believe

Offline Hugo @ Portugal

• GF Inhabitant
    • FlatlandPT
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2009, 04:29:54 PM »
This is a pertinent question, but like most of the similar questions that can be made on the subject the answer is alyways a bit.. insatisfactory..

Ain't a whooper, in it's most basic form a bunnyhop tailwhip?
The difference is that street riders link it to get onto their obstacles, and most of the times to get out of them, from a manual for example.

Ain't Hang5 a common trick to street and flatland riders?
The exact same thing, the only slight difference is that we do it from flat ground and they do it on their obstacles.

What is the difference from a (double) Pedal Hang5 and a Nose Manual?
The answer is, I believe, "none", but they do it according to their obstacle filosophy, we do it on flat ground.

This is the exact thing that in my opinion keeps the different disciplines closer than simply what meets the eye.
Someone whos knows diddly squat about BMX won't be able to idenitfy this resemblances, on the contraty, any rider will most definetly know first and foremost that there are always similiarities.

Offline ondo

• GF Inhabitant
    • Blog
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2009, 08:06:11 PM »
Whooper is a b-hop tailwhip done on flat ground. Tailwhip isn't. Even if it's from a b-hop and of a curb.
So what's the deal???

Offline PMA!

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2009, 08:24:55 PM »
A whooper is a BMX trick.
A tailwhip is a BMX trick.

Stop being such pussies ;)

Offline tod miller

• GF Inhabitant
  • ATX Crew, rollin' deep!
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2009, 09:00:41 PM »
And all of this is why I ride FREEstyle...
"A puppet no more!"