Author Topic: Hang 5's  (Read 4462 times)

katobmx

Re: Hang 5's
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2009, 09:25:40 PM »
the two things that helped me learn hang-5's where squeaks and the curb trick. The curb trick is when you get next to a curve and get your free foot on it, pick up the bike into the hang5 position and then push/walk with one foot on the curb and one on the peg.when you reach the end of the curve try to roll it a bit.

Offline That Joe Miller

• Cliffhanger
    • Unknown Sports
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2009, 10:02:15 PM »
Make sure you wear some gloves because you will surely be putting your hands on the ground a bit while learning them. And Rad Dad is right,  the hang 5 is the start of just about every front wheel trick known to man. L8r, Joe
That Joe miller

Offline Gensanity

• GF Inhabitant
  • ....enjoy....
    • My Art For Free & For Sale
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2009, 07:12:17 PM »
Yeah. I'm not afraid to bail out. I have the bail down and can step over my bars and walk out just fine.
I'm more afraid for my bike. Last time I tried to learn these I noticed that my handlebars would consistently slam on the left side. This caused my bars to be bent back a little on the left and not having money for new bars I had to compensate by turning my stem slightly to the right. lol. I was also riding a 35lb bike at the time so smashing down on my bars was a lot bigger of an impact.

-Andy

If you're not falling too hard you can actualy save the bike from crashing by switching your right hand onto the left grip as you step over with your right leg, or vise versa. 
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 07:15:22 PM by Gensanity »

Offline lJohnnyTheFoxl

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2009, 08:52:31 PM »
Hang 5s are a blast, and you don't need to brake any more than you need a brake to peg wheelie.

After about a year of working on them, I've done a somersault over the bars twice, and a running leap over the bars maybe 15 times.  The best way to bail when you're too far forward is to just drop your front foot off the peg.  If you're paying attention, you can save yourself by doing this as soon as your balance is doomed, instead of the more acrobatic option.

Offline Projexxx

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2009, 01:02:32 AM »
i dissagree with the unbike option. i feel like coasting a hang5 on an unbike is way lower and more laid out, similar to karl kruisers. if you have spare parts build it and see what i mean.

just learn it on the bike. im sure greg will help you out and im gonna put myself to it soon too.

Offline brian84corvette

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2009, 11:26:01 PM »
when I decided to learn hang 5's
there were some key things I managed to take note of that I was doing wrong.
and when I corrected my errors in trial process,   hang 5 became easy.

#1 problem I had when starting off the trick,   was that I was moving my whole boddy fowards to start it all off,  and get the back tire to go up in the air.

the problem was that since I was moving foward so much to force the rear end to come off the ground,    I then had exessive foward momentum wich resulted in me getting dumped clean over the handlebars face fowards to the ground every time.

why was this happening ?
because I was using a pedal with my rear foot.
I hate using pedals to start off tricks on the front wheel,
because you cant get a good solid same thing feel from a pedal.
when I went to the rear peg with my rear foot,
I can actually push the rear peg rearwards,   and lift the back end of the bike
with my foot. ( imagine pointing your toes down to the ground - and pushing in to the peg so your shoe grips it,  and can then lift upwards like that )       so in conjunction with pushing the bars fowards,   and lifting the rear of the bike with my rear peg foot - I was able to keep my upper boddy position the same,  and still be able to pop the bike up in hang 5.
in doing so - the transition is less severe,  and requires less psyical effort to maintain a good balance point when entering to the hang 5 position.

maby its hard to explain,    if I can I will try and post a video showing what I mean
in a little bit - or a day or 3
Old dudes can still rip

the beard

« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2009, 12:09:57 AM »
no brakes needed
karls are completely different
practicing hang 5's are the best way to learn hang 5's
i learned hang 5's without ever going over the bars or falling, but learning that will probably help
balance the body over the front wheel, and push the seat into the butt. make the upper body solid
be an ape
most importantly, don't get discouraged!
« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 12:16:17 AM by prana »

Offline tafkat

• GF Inhabitant
    • Jon Lavigne Dot com
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2009, 01:42:29 AM »
just put a foot on a front peg and a foot on a back peg, and when you lean forward a little to take the foot off the back peg, push the bars forward and down until the seat hits your ass and then hold it there. That's pretty much it.

Offline laughingmonkey

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2009, 07:05:48 AM »
So I haven't used the back peg yet, but that sounds like it may work better for me... I was wondering about speed?  I've only tried this for a bout 3 sessions now, but I noticed that slower seems harder to find a balance point. Same thing with peg wheelies.  If I'm at a moderate speed I can seem to find my balance a bit easier.  However, bailing at higher speeds seems to take a bit more skill and focus...
-------            --------
         \         /
           ------
           \___/

----  .__o
----- _-\_<,
---  (*)/'(*)

Offline seba

• Backpacker
  • Flatero naci!!! - Flatero muero!!!
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2009, 07:38:39 AM »
elbow glides are like hang 5's with one foot on peg, but the seat get caught on the side by your elbow not your but.

example

Elbow glide is the key :wacko:

Offline GRFN.FLAT.

• Deathtrucker
  • that's some scooby-snacks right thurr
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2009, 05:54:58 PM »
elbow glides are like hang 5's with one foot on peg, but the seat get caught on the side by your elbow not your but.

it's basically a karl kruiser but you brace the seat against your elbow instead of holding it with your hand. these look to have high flip-over-the-bars potential.