Author Topic: Hang 5's  (Read 4463 times)

Offline laughingmonkey

• Cliffhanger
Hang 5's
« on: July 07, 2009, 05:33:53 AM »
I've been avoiding learning the hang 5 because I feel like it is a serious commitment in flatland and this sport may take over my life if I attempt to learn it.  That being said, I think I am ready.
I have good back end balance and I feel compelled to be balancing on my front wheel.

My question is, should I be using my front brakes to feather into a hang 5 or should I learn it without the brakes?  Is it hard to re-learn brakeless if you learn it with the help of the front brakes?
-------            --------
         \         /
           ------
           \___/

----  .__o
----- _-\_<,
---  (*)/'(*)

Offline dogzilla

• Funky Chicken
  • you tell me
Re: Hang 5's
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009, 05:44:19 AM »
I actually just started to learn them today.  My cousin learned them without a front brake so its possible.  be ready to fail over your bars.  A lot.

Offline yodazoo976

• Backpacker
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009, 05:46:39 AM »
I would say No to the front brakes.  all the online tutorials and ground rules both suggest against that.

Offline stvnlpsly

• GF Inhabitant
  • Quest BMX
    • Quest BMX
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2009, 05:54:34 AM »
No brakes, it won't help in the short run or the long run. 

Offline Stereolab

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2009, 06:07:11 AM »

No need for brakes at all, and you'll be amazed at how easy it is once you learn it.  :)

Offline O.S.G.

• Backpacker
  • Superman Hang
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2009, 06:10:03 AM »
imagine doing it on a Un-bike ,one foot (Witchever)on the peg,...and the other foot  on the balance point....If you can RIDE that then you can MASTER the art of HANG-5's....OSG Peace.(Same to Elbow glides)

Offline b_ron

• GF Inhabitant
    • PbNation
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2009, 07:19:19 AM »
whats elbow glides
Signing out...

Offline yodazoo976

• Backpacker
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2009, 09:43:34 AM »
elbow glides are like hang 5's with one foot on peg, but the seat get caught on the side by your elbow not your but.

example

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2009, 10:03:04 AM »

No need for brakes at all, and you'll be amazed at how easy it is once you learn it.  :)

definitely, brakes aren't needed...hang-5's are awesome.    
« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 10:05:07 AM by råbe »

Offline chaincranker

• Forkglider
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2009, 11:39:01 AM »
How different are the balance points between hang5s and karlkruisers?
I'm tempted to learn kks first since you can step into them until you lock the balance point. If they are similar enough to hang5s it might be worth it not having to throw myself over the bars a bajillion times.

Elbow glides also look like a similar balance point except that you are leaned way forward to get your elbow low enough to hold the seat. Which of the two are closer to a hang5?

Thanks,
-Andy

Offline raddad67 (Mark)

• GF Inhabitant
  • Keep on Riding!! wwww.bmxfreestyler.com
    • BMX Freestyler
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2009, 01:21:57 PM »
The Hang 5 is the corner stone for all rolling tricks. It will lead you to so many more tricks. It is similar to a Karl but the balance feels completely different. I learned how to hang 5 from Hecktor Dangus and he taught me the bail out. That is key in learning the hang 5. Once your not afraid of going over the bars you can spend more time working on the balance point.
  On a side note I have had friends that could do many hard tricks but never learned the Hang-5. Nothing is absolute in flatland.

Keep on Riding!!!

Offline Gensanity

• GF Inhabitant
  • ....enjoy....
    • My Art For Free & For Sale
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2009, 04:45:09 PM »
How different are the balance points between hang5s and karlkruisers?
I'm tempted to learn kks first since you can step into them until you lock the balance point. If they are similar enough to hang5s it might be worth it not having to throw myself over the bars a bajillion times.

Elbow glides also look like a similar balance point except that you are leaned way forward to get your elbow low enough to hold the seat. Which of the two are closer to a hang5?

Thanks,
-Andy

They are similar but while learning the kk will help you feel more confident, it is not going to prevent you from throwing yourself over the bars a bajillion times once you do decide to commit to learning the hang 5's.   I learned both tricks in this order and it is the way I would suggest if you just want to get more familiar on the front wheel before trying to tackle the hang 5.  It's all about confidence and being comfortable.  Eventualy your body will learn to simply let go of the bars and step straight over when bailing up front.  Once you get to that point where bailing is not so dramatic, it is easier to make 20+ attempts each session instead of just a handful.

Offline chaincranker

• Forkglider
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2009, 08:53:18 PM »
Yeah. I'm not afraid to bail out. I have the bail down and can step over my bars and walk out just fine.
I'm more afraid for my bike. Last time I tried to learn these I noticed that my handlebars would consistently slam on the left side. This caused my bars to be bent back a little on the left and not having money for new bars I had to compensate by turning my stem slightly to the right. lol. I was also riding a 35lb bike at the time so smashing down on my bars was a lot bigger of an impact.

-Andy

Offline laughingmonkey

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2009, 09:03:50 PM »
Thanks everybody, I'll keep the bailing out technique in mind when I go for this one, I'm sure thats just as important as anything else.   :beer:
-------            --------
         \         /
           ------
           \___/

----  .__o
----- _-\_<,
---  (*)/'(*)

Offline jerr6

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2009, 09:07:41 PM »
ya if you havnt really put much effort into learning them and want to i would just jump on in and start going for it. you def dont need brakes, brakes will be like hitting the eject button. a unbike will help alot and for me learning bw h5s came alot easier but i couldnt roll them to far. i think because you can kinda step into bw h5s like doing a squeeker.  once you learn the balance on a unbike its all a matter of time till you learn on a bike. just got to figure out how much  you need to lift the backend up to get to the balance piont. its def worth the time it takes to learn this. good luck

oh ya i learned to slip my peg foot forward when i was going over to far. so falling wasnt to bad