Author Topic: Martti asks a question.  (Read 50535 times)

TJ Perry

Re: Martti asks a question.
« Reply #45 on: July 06, 2009, 10:47:11 PM »
Thank you for the kind words Back4Good, and thank you Martti for the insight into your thought process behind original tricks.

I'd be VERY curious to talk about some more specific tricks that you learned over the years that really seemed to break a lot of ground towards newer trends and what not, or even do a fully fledged interview. There is a lot I think a lot of people would enjoy hearing about including myself.  -_-

I'm not super original, but when the opportunity presents itself, I try to do my own thing. I'd rather have an over all style of riding that most people can't just up and copy (half regular and half opposite seems to have done the trick so far).

Offline SNOOP

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #46 on: July 07, 2009, 12:58:11 AM »
Also, a side note to some of you who are trying to learn hiker kick flips and such... no one said that it needed to be a kick flip from a hitch hiker.  There are other tricks to kick flip in and I'd love to see those.  Kick Flip hikers have been done.  Let's see something new.  Kick Flip cliffhanger variations??? Kicks out of elephant glides or half packers... 
+1

I can kickflip hitch hiker, cliffhanger and elephant glides. But is almost imposible ( at least for me ) to pull the 3 kickflips dialed in the same combo..
Iīll give a try this weekend

SERGI8,
we are interested to see the cliffhanger kickflip. Unfortunately I havenīt seen it done before. Iīve heard that Cory from Vancouver did it long time ago but havenīt seen it so far.
Please post a video of it. Also Iīd like to see the elephant glide kickflip!

And thanks all of you who are taking this challenge!! You keep flatland alive! Letīs push it to next level! P.s. I am taking a part on the "new style" competition as well. I have some good ideas which will take some time to produce once I have something to show I will post it up here.
Martti

Martti,

I have footage of Cory Strat doing Cliffhanger 180 Kick Flips, 2 in a row. I used them in the "Mixt" bonus section. Eugene Collins does them in Crack Packers also in "Mixt"

I like your idea to push progression and motivate others, ride on.

What do you win if you complete the challenge? ha ha.

Are Death Truck Kick Flips possible? What about Bar Ride Kick Flips?

CJ

Its funny this thread comes up...and its funny you mention death truck kickflips...Today while falling over and over out of 2 footed Dtrucks.. ON my way falling forward out my left leg clipped the left pedal that was forward..And while jumping off my rite foot and reaching forward with my left, my jeans and the movement hooked the pedal and i landed sideways next the bike in a stick b position...I know it was a complete accident, but it had me wondering.

Also are backwheel "kickflips" allowed? I only have one i wanted to unleash at voodoo, but it would be an honor to pass it on to VIKI as the link is a "barrow" of his.

Offline jmctigret

• Backpacker
« Reply #47 on: July 07, 2009, 01:16:08 AM »
TJ rideing reminds me of Alex Jumelin little bit. Eve been told that before? Its a props because Alex rips

joelweevil

« Reply #48 on: July 07, 2009, 02:09:46 AM »
without having to go back, we're talking both 180 and 360, or 360 only? once again, sorry.

TJ Perry

« Reply #49 on: July 07, 2009, 02:17:24 AM »
TJ rideing reminds me of Alex Jumelin little bit. Eve been told that before? Its a props because Alex rips

He's like 5 ft 1 and super fast, I'm over 6ft 4 and slow.

tickle me confused  :huh:

Offline Luis Elías

• Team
  • Deathtrucker
« Reply #50 on: July 07, 2009, 03:05:45 AM »
Just for people to know...

This is not the first time that KGB supports riders. I have two friends from Panama that were given a frame and some bike parts. My friends are really humble people, but their riding level is very high. I would really like to thank you guys on behalf of the Latin American community. You rock!

By the way...new styles? :ph34r:= Leo Claro from Bazil

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-grgW-bFCik[/youtube]

Offline corystrat

• Forkglider
« Reply #51 on: July 07, 2009, 04:01:27 AM »
Yes, it is an inspirational thread- but come on, 3 riders?  There were probably more than 3 before you did your first one.  Trevor did x-foot hiker to backpacker in 95...Dylan did hiker k'flips pre 1997...Andrew did s.f steam k'flip to halfpacker in 97. 
They are a hard trik on both the body and the bike.  I have destroyed a couple front rims learning dic-flips only to never have it dialed.   
Hiker flips only took me 9 years to learn and when I was done my leg was sticking out a good inch or two from all the missed attempts during that 2 hour period.   
Now I have brand new 360 kickflip/180 bike flip that I am real close to- but while at the Berry Jam I missed the pegs, sat on my bar and bent it down at least 2". 
These feather light bikes we ride cannot take how many tries it takes to learn these k'flips.  I know my bike right now is wrecked from them; hint, hint...(I won't send you a video of my ridiing but I could keep that footy of you in Toronto/'98 off youtube in exchange for a frame; ha ha.)

Offline ASC

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #52 on: July 07, 2009, 06:28:49 AM »

Well, I could talk about this subject till tomorrow morning so letīs try to make it short then.
Iīve been going through in creativity many aspects from having dreams of tricks while I sleep to forcing myself to create new tricks till I canīt sleep because of the stress and everything between.

So I would say that let the tricks come to you and sometimes try to think of new things. And just get into the flow of thoughts of new tricks. Most of them will feel impossible to reach but it is then only up to you what do you want from riding. If you think of a new trick and you feel like you could do it then go ahead and try it. Try it for couple of hours and analyze the situation again. Then next day again and so on. Try not to give up, once you feel like it is impossible to do after few days trying it then give it a break. Let your body work while it rests and youīll be amazed how these couple days off make your body work differently and more accurate. Even you rest your muscles are working on coordinations.
So sometimes you just got to force yourself to learn the tricks no matter how hard they feel like.

Progressive riding is not all about just having fun and letting the tricks come and go to your head. You got to make yourself think further sometimes if you want to progress. But, progression and originality is not for everyone. But I would be happy to help the ones who has this progressive way of thinking on their ridings. That is my whole point here.

Just to answer shortly on the actual question. Sometimes they come and go to my mind as well, but every time when a new trick comes, I will give it a hard try.
But I like the feeling more when a lot of grazy ideas are flying in my mind.

You have a good understanding of your process, thank you for sharing & giving, sometimes riders need to hear from their "Flatland Gurus/Pros" a little more often in an open format way and setting...N
RIDE......RIDE......RIDE

Offline handspin

• Backpacker
    • Youtube
« Reply #53 on: July 07, 2009, 06:57:36 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/v/xQllJsPiFhk

@1:23 - cliffhanger kickflip

when i first started riding i saw a clip of armin batoumeni (at circle cow?) doing cliffhanger kickflips. his was a full air kickflip. i wish i could see that video again.
S I N C E  2005  | LA | SD | NYC | BOS |  ONE LOVE
đ    ē    ģ 
ʑɚȷʎʇʂ

Offline Jason

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #54 on: July 07, 2009, 07:54:23 AM »
That pegless rider is very smooth. I like the transitions and trix he is doing.

Here is an idea for a new trick....I am working on learning myself but am prolly a year or so from getting close to trying (not landing, just even trying).... Cliffhanger with 360 bike varial to forward hitch.

I'm a mid-level rider and I'm close to learning forward hitch as well as cliffhanger so performing this trick is long time coming in my opinion, I'll never give up the fight tho.
NOR-CAL FLATLAND.  !!WE Bicycles supporter!!

Day Smith Beanies

Offline Martti

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #55 on: July 07, 2009, 07:57:39 AM »
Just for people to know...

This is not the first time that KGB supports riders. I have two friends from Panama that were given a frame and some bike parts. My friends are really humble people, but their riding level is very high. I would really like to thank you guys on behalf of the Latin American community. You rock!

By the way...new styles? :ph34r:= Leo Claro from Bazil

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-grgW-bFCik[/youtube]

WOW! This is what I am talking about when it comes to progression!! Definetely goes to my top 3 video clips on net. 2 other clips are Chad Johnstons pegless clip when he came up with it, another one is Sam Foaks clip with Prodigy song and now this is in my top 3 list!
Keep pushing guys!
Martti

Offline Martti

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #56 on: July 07, 2009, 08:02:56 AM »
Yes, it is an inspirational thread- but come on, 3 riders?  There were probably more than 3 before you did your first one.  Trevor did x-foot hiker to backpacker in 95...Dylan did hiker k'flips pre 1997...Andrew did s.f steam k'flip to halfpacker in 97. 
They are a hard trik on both the body and the bike.  I have destroyed a couple front rims learning dic-flips only to never have it dialed.   
Hiker flips only took me 9 years to learn and when I was done my leg was sticking out a good inch or two from all the missed attempts during that 2 hour period.   
Now I have brand new 360 kickflip/180 bike flip that I am real close to- but while at the Berry Jam I missed the pegs, sat on my bar and bent it down at least 2". 
These feather light bikes we ride cannot take how many tries it takes to learn these k'flips.  I know my bike right now is wrecked from them; hint, hint...(I won't send you a video of my ridiing but I could keep that footy of you in Toronto/'98 off youtube in exchange for a frame; ha ha.)

Cory,
please donīt take my words too literally. Point is and was to motivate people, not to take credit for anything. I think I took my credit already from riding I am not asking for more, I just want to see new guys coming up with new stuff.

If you are talking about that trevors trick on Jinx video 95 that in my opinion was not a kickflip, Justin is doing the same trick now with a kickflip. Trevor did it and does it without flipping the handlebars.

Offline Martti

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #57 on: July 07, 2009, 08:04:06 AM »
Also, a side note to some of you who are trying to learn hiker kick flips and such... no one said that it needed to be a kick flip from a hitch hiker.  There are other tricks to kick flip in and I'd love to see those.  Kick Flip hikers have been done.  Let's see something new.  Kick Flip cliffhanger variations??? Kicks out of elephant glides or half packers... 
+1

I can kickflip hitch hiker, cliffhanger and elephant glides. But is almost imposible ( at least for me ) to pull the 3 kickflips dialed in the same combo..
Iīll give a try this weekend

SERGI8,
we are interested to see the cliffhanger kickflip. Unfortunately I havenīt seen it done before. Iīve heard that Cory from Vancouver did it long time ago but havenīt seen it so far.
Please post a video of it. Also Iīd like to see the elephant glide kickflip!

And thanks all of you who are taking this challenge!! You keep flatland alive! Letīs push it to next level! P.s. I am taking a part on the "new style" competition as well. I have some good ideas which will take some time to produce once I have something to show I will post it up here.
Martti

Martti,

I have footage of Cory Strat doing Cliffhanger 180 Kick Flips, 2 in a row. I used them in the "Mixt" bonus section. Eugene Collins does them in Crack Packers also in "Mixt"

I like your idea to push progression and motivate others, ride on.

What do you win if you complete the challenge? ha ha.

Are Death Truck Kick Flips possible? What about Bar Ride Kick Flips?

CJ

Its funny this thread comes up...and its funny you mention death truck kickflips...Today while falling over and over out of 2 footed Dtrucks.. ON my way falling forward out my left leg clipped the left pedal that was forward..And while jumping off my rite foot and reaching forward with my left, my jeans and the movement hooked the pedal and i landed sideways next the bike in a stick b position...I know it was a complete accident, but it had me wondering.

Also are backwheel "kickflips" allowed? I only have one i wanted to unleash at voodoo, but it would be an honor to pass it on to VIKI as the link is a "barrow" of his.

Sure backwheel stuff counts in. Letīs see it!

Offline Martti

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #58 on: July 07, 2009, 08:08:04 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/v/xQllJsPiFhk

@1:23 - cliffhanger kickflip

when i first started riding i saw a clip of armin batoumeni (at circle cow?) doing cliffhanger kickflips. his was a full air kickflip. i wish i could see that video again.

That trick was and still is very very sick. So many years ago... Big props to Cory for this one plus see the style he is doing it. Click.

Offline SERGI8

• Backpacker
« Reply #59 on: July 07, 2009, 02:39:50 PM »

[/quote]

I kick flip the cliffhanger to finish the trick. I mean i landed them in the floor.

Iīve seen armin batoumeni ( sorry for the spelling ) a french rider pulling them... Is not a good trick if U want to have childrens some day... :P
[/quote]

End of each clip, Iīll try to film+upload a vid with 3 kickflips this weekend...

sergio del valle - contest online ronda 1

Sergio Del Valle - RONDA 3

I left the cliffh.. kickflip years ago, It was not healty for my balls...  :angry: