Author Topic: minimal offset stem and bars for flat/street? on ff??  (Read 2173 times)

Offline jumpman2334

• Backpacker
minimal offset stem and bars for flat/street? on ff??
« on: June 04, 2009, 04:26:47 AM »
i planned on ordering from ff, and there all expensive as hell! what happened to the suelo stem? anyways.. i was looking at the sequence hook stem or the st. martin x26 stem... would those hold up to a little bit of street? or would they keep slipping?  i hate stems that dont do what there supposed to do..

and pat, do you have any stems in stock that arent on the online store?

and what about bars? would the 7.5 rise suelos work for a little bit of street too?
fsu666ftw

Re: minimal offset stem and bars for flat/street? on ff??
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009, 05:36:54 AM »
i don't know if this will be much help, but......i'm running the hook stem and havn't experienced any problems with it slipping.  if anything, whenever i'm adjusting my headset, I have to twiddle w/ the stem because it's so snug.  i don't ride street on that setup, though.

Offline jumpman2334

• Backpacker
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 05:48:24 AM »
how hard do you ride flat on that stem tho? and some stems do that b/c of the tolerance... which is better than it being loose...
fsu666ftw

Offline Bomber Moran

• Backpacker
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009, 05:53:53 AM »
is FF your only option? you can try season le merk, it is available on danscomp i believe. same reach as a suelo stem..

but yeah, FF should always be our first option.haha..
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 05:56:06 AM by Bomber Moran »

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2009, 06:19:05 AM »
how hard do you ride flat on that stem tho? and some stems do that b/c of the tolerance... which is better than it being loose...
true, and i'd rather it be snug than not.  i ride pretty hard on it, and i drop the bike enough in the process that nothing shifts.  but, like i said, i don't ride street on it, and i don't infuse street tricks into my flat runs.  unless footjam tailwhips to hang-5's are considered street infusion...
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 06:21:53 AM by råbe »

Offline jumpman2334

• Backpacker
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2009, 07:04:02 AM »
is FF your only option? you can try season le merk, it is available on danscomp i believe. same reach as a suelo stem..

but yeah, FF should always be our first option.haha..

i want to order from one place, cause then of all of the shiping costs.. but i might just order from dans and get 4 piece bars or somethig...
fsu666ftw

Offline Paradoxium

• Administrator
  • GF Inhabitant
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 07:39:17 AM by Paradoxium »

Offline jumpman2334

• Backpacker
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2009, 09:27:55 PM »
oh turd.. maybe maybe maybe.. i want to try the animal bob bars.. cause they have just a little sweep and arent close to 100 bucks.. which i still dont understand why flat bars are so much...
fsu666ftw

Offline DaviD (dave0)

• GF Inhabitant
  • Flatland from Israel
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2009, 02:07:26 AM »
flat parts usually are more unique, hence the higher cost. (Also production.. idea.. etc.)

anyway a bar stem combo is obviously not a good choise, so it narrows your options...

maybe knee friendly stem too

Offline metalbmxer

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2009, 05:56:29 AM »
I am pretty hard on my bike and have yet to break my MTF bars. Hook stem is great as well. Honestly you'd be making a mistake if you did not go with that combo. I know it's pricey but you will be set for life.

Buy cheap, buy twice...
Dax (now in LAS VEGAS as of July 2022)

Offline jumpman2334

• Backpacker
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2009, 07:56:53 AM »
thanks for the input guys.. i thought the hook stem would be the stem that slips the most.. i guess not.. i might buy it.. who knows. thanks for the inf again!
fsu666ftw

Offline Paradoxium

• Administrator
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2009, 11:58:32 AM »
The hook stem isn't available at FF in 35mm at the moment. The 26mm version is too short for street. Street riders don't run 26mm stems because they are too responsive and you don't get much leverage out of them to bunnyhop and jump. The colony stem is the way to go.