Poll

What should I do?

use it
9 (90%)
buy an aluminum biike
1 (10%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Author Topic: my bike  (Read 3450 times)

Offline skippyum

my bike
« on: May 17, 2009, 04:44:47 PM »
Well my bike is chrome....i was wonderin if that is a wise choice or not....i mean it looks good but it is a little on the heavy....should i get an aluminum bike??
You don't know until you try.....sweet sweet words

Lover not ah fighter but i will fight 4 my bike lol

Offline diesel1ne

• Cliffhanger
Re: my bike
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 04:47:28 PM »
not alot of people choose aluminum for the reason of easy snapping and bending, screw aluminum and chromed, go with cromoly, pretty much every single flatland specific frame is cromoly, ofcourse with the exeption of some
wait till i get my bike together =D..just wait

Offline skippyum

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009, 05:08:26 PM »
oh thanks and here's an attachment of the bike.....u can check it out and tell me what you think?

Offline automaton

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 01:40:12 AM »
First of all you need to understand what "chrome" is. I think you might be mistaking it for a type of metal when it's actually more like a type of paint, sort of. The types of metal you can get a frame made out of are chromoly and aluminum. I would never use aluminum on a flatland bike. It's lighter but it's weaker. In order to get it as strong as chromoly you have to use thicker tubes and by then you've negated the weight savings aluminum offers. If you race then aluminum is something to look into. There's really no reason for a flatlander to use an aluminum frame.

Chrome plating, which is what your bike has, is a type of paint job of sorts. It shouldn't add any real noticeable weight to the frame. I have an old flatland frame from the 80s that is chrome and weighs almost nothing. It's light because it's made of 4130 chromoly. If your bike is really heavy the problem isn't chrome plating. It's either your parts are heavy or the frame is high tensile steel and not chromoly. Or you might have a chromoly frame that is super beefed up for street riding and that would make it heavy. I say take the whole bike apart and weigh the frame.

the real question is what kind of frame is it? Who made it?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 01:42:39 AM by automaton »

katobmx

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 01:47:37 AM »
You should probably post a side view of the bike the pic you have does really tell us much. then maybe we can see what we can do to lighten up your bike(or just make it better for flatland)

Offline skippyum

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2009, 12:06:27 AM »
alright tomorrow im gonna post the pic and then take it apart and weigh it...i got it from a neighbour because he didn't use it after he bought it so i bought it from him so i don't know too much about the bike

katobmx

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2009, 01:13:39 AM »
alright -_-