Author Topic: Bike and some beginner questions  (Read 4368 times)

Offline elmabullaz

Bike and some beginner questions
« on: May 16, 2009, 03:41:47 PM »
Hey guys, my first post here!
I'm from the UK and looking to get into flatland, and was thinkin of gettin the OG Balance3 front brake only (no rear brake versions in stock over at the OG company).
How hard is it to learn flatland with only a front brake? I don't wanna limit myself at the very start of my flatland endevour! Oh and also, i've seen suggestions on here elsewhere that if you're tall (i'm 6"2) that a longer frame is recommened. Is the balance3 too short for me?

cheers for readin guys

Offline Andy Marsh(Mallow)

• Backpacker
Re: Bike and some beginner questions
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2009, 04:28:35 PM »
If you are just starting out, the bike itself makes very little difference. You could even use a non-flat bike like I did as most beginner tricks do not take advantage fully of a flat bike's geometry and specs. 

That being said, the OG balance 3 should be perfect as it is a flat bike that is relatively easy on money and also has flat parts and geo, and you can always upgrade the bike if you decide you love the sport later.  It's a good choice in my opinion. 

If you decide the frame is too short after riding it a while, you can always upgrade to a longer frame.  It's all personal preference.  Try some other people's rides, or if there are none around, buy and hope for the best.  You will get used to whatever you buy anyways.

I would personally prefer a rear brake as a beginner, though going brakeless in the back has advantages as you won't use it as a crutch, and it's less to get in the way and maintain.  Also a bit less weight to not have another brake, though this is not critical.   

yes, I recommend the OG Balance 3.  Go for it. 
« Last Edit: May 16, 2009, 04:33:55 PM by Andy Marsh(Mallow) »
being small has it's advantages... :mellow:

NoSweatShop.com" BORDER="0

Offline tod miller

• GF Inhabitant
  • ATX Crew, rollin' deep!
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2009, 05:21:52 PM »
If you are just starting out, the bike itself makes very little difference. You could even use a non-flat bike like I did as most beginner tricks do not take advantage fully of a flat bike's geometry and specs. 

That being said, the OG balance 3 should be perfect as it is a flat bike that is relatively easy on money and also has flat parts and geo, and you can always upgrade the bike if you decide you love the sport later.  It's a good choice in my opinion. 

If you decide the frame is too short after riding it a while, you can always upgrade to a longer frame.  It's all personal preference.  Try some other people's rides, or if there are none around, buy and hope for the best.  You will get used to whatever you buy anyways.

I would personally prefer a rear brake as a beginner, though going brakeless in the back has advantages as you won't use it as a crutch, and it's less to get in the way and maintain.  Also a bit less weight to not have another brake, though this is not critical.   

yes, I recommend the OG Balance 3.  Go for it. 

Very good advice here.  The OG Balance would be an excellent choice.  I want to add that NOT having a back brake could also be beneficial in the sense that you don't have to fool with a detangler...makes working on bikes so much easier. 

The main thing I suggest you being concerned with is riding as much as possible.  Most of us here started on something that was NOT the top of the line...and as Andy says, you can always upgrade later.

Go for it.  If you need help building the bike, or help with trying tricks...please come back and post and we(or someone here) will try to help you with any problems you are having.

Welcome aboard...hope you find flatland as fun as I do. 

Tod Miller
"A puppet no more!"

Offline elmabullaz

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2009, 05:31:57 PM »
Aight, cheers for the advice guys, it's good to know i can actually get a decent flatland bike, my only other option was the KHE Militant LT Bike, which i havn't heard as much good praise about (plus it doesn't look nearly as good as the OG)
Basically now i'm just waiting till my univeristy exams are over and then i'm gonna order the bike, then i've got 3+ months of free time to really get into flatland, so i'm sure i'll become a regular question asker

cheers again for the help !

-Tim

Offline alex@H

• Backpacker
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2009, 06:00:32 PM »

i started riding about 2 month ago with a friend - i've got no rear brake, he's got one. so the differences today: i am better at backwheel tricks, he often uses the brake to balance it out - so if you got a rear brake dont use it toooo much  :P but on the other hand i'm a litte bit sad, that i "can't" do beginner (?) tricks where the brake is really needed. like decades, i hope some days i'll get them brakesless, but its too difficult now...

Offline Dalton

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2009, 08:06:09 PM »
Dude, I'm from UK and just starting out with an OG Balance 3. Where you from? Message me.

Offline skippyum

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2009, 05:12:30 PM »

i started riding about 2 month ago with a friend - i've got no rear brake, he's got one. so the differences today: i am better at backwheel tricks, he often uses the brake to balance it out - so if you got a rear brake dont use it toooo much  :P but on the other hand i'm a litte bit sad, that i "can't" do beginner (?) tricks where the brake is really needed. like decades, i hope some days i'll get them brakesless, but its too difficult now...

the decade might be hard but you can try a rollade its a rolling decade i u practice that you should surely be able to try a decade brakeless!!!
You don't know until you try.....sweet sweet words

Lover not ah fighter but i will fight 4 my bike lol