Author Topic: OY! yea you! I need your advice! - picking a bike  (Read 6384 times)

Offline remedy

• Forkglider
OY! yea you! I need your advice! - picking a bike
« on: February 11, 2007, 06:37:02 AM »
Hey guys (and hopefully some girls)

Right now Im looking at the KHE range and the DK signal bmx; there arent that many reviews out there so Im finding hard to get the right thing.

since the bike probably gonna get smushed up alot in the beginning I guess I shouldnt go for the higher-end bikes right?

the Dk signal seems to be the right one for entry level.

whats better; a heavy or light bike? Im assuming lighter is better but I spoke to some guy at the local bike shop and he's saying "go heavy all the way."... doesnt seem to make sence.. wont a lioght bike better easier to handle?

yea Im fresh so I need already-exp flatlanders like yourselves to shed the light on these lies.

Im serious about flatlanding, so even if your thinking about suggesting the most expensive part out there/bike please dont hesitate to shout it out b/c all info is appreciated...yea Im already thinking about a custom.

lead the way ppl
peace
Mark

Offline enfusion81

• Funky Chicken
Re: OY! yea you! I need your advice! - picking a bike
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2007, 06:50:59 AM »
welcome!

If I were to just start out again and wanted to order a new, complete I'd most likely go for the DK Signal from flatlandfuel. Good value, good price for entry level.

Lighter bikes are generally better, I'd say a lot better, heh. But when starting out weight won't be that important a factor, as long as the bike's not a "tank."

Have fun!

Edit: I should add, if you are really new to bmx, just about any bmx bike will do, with 4 pegs, and preferable front & back brakes.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2007, 06:57:16 AM by enfusion81 »

Offline remedy

• Forkglider
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2007, 07:03:45 AM »
hey enfusion,

yea I had my 1st bmx back in 2002, it was a dirt bike and I was trying to do flatland on that. it was a Fother mucker! so heavy.
so yea, im not SUPER-fresh im just fresh-fresh. lol

thanks for the input-  I knew light bikes were better *sets local bike store on fire.

Offline Jesse Vetrone

• GF Inhabitant
  • Columbus can shove it. the world IS flat.
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2007, 03:41:37 PM »
well man, I rode bmx when I was younger, so when i got into flatlanding, i jsuted used my old junker haro with a bent frame for like 2 months, then I decided i wanted a custom, so my dad bought me a walmart bike until I had enough money.

I have a custom now, but if you still arent sure wether or not you REALLY want to get into flatland, you were right, get a signal or KHE complete.

in a year or whatever you can see where you stand, and build a custom if you want, no need to rush it.

Offline Milenko2121

• GF Inhabitant
  • "Girls come and go, but bikes are forever"
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2007, 09:07:22 PM »
yeah as they said any bmx bike with 4 pegs w/ front and back brakes will do.

i rode a specialized fuse 3 '06 for almost a year and i learned alot, and just so you get an idea i learned backpackers, crackpackers, halfpackers, steamrollers/boats, and peg wheelies.
"Sometimes You Just Need To Do Something... Different"

Phatman

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2007, 09:17:06 PM »
im going back to a 74.5 head tube angle with a zero offset fork & bar, you gotta do some experimenting for a while.

Offline jason_21218

• Backpacker
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2007, 12:32:36 AM »
I think your best bet is the DK, because the parts a way better. I have one, I bought it just for parts, and built up a used quamne frame. The forks are really sweet, and the freecoaster wheelset isn't heavy at all. Get the DK for another reason....the KHE uses that weird headtube gyro thing...which means if you upgrade your frame down the road, you have to buy a new headset as well as a new gyro. The DK is an easier option to switch out the frame down the road...

Offline remedy

• Forkglider
thnks guys
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2007, 01:23:13 AM »
Cool guys, thanks for the info.
Nah Im serious about this, no mess'n around. I want a custom sure, but its a bit crazy learning on a pro bike b/c its GONNA get seriously wasted during my learning phase.

New zealand ****ing sucks.
RRP(NZ)699 converted to US$ = 482.00 vs actual US$299 (max I've seen)
.. pissed? oh yea NZ retailers are a bunch of evil bitch godesses.

Offline Jesse Vetrone

• GF Inhabitant
Re: thnks guys
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2007, 01:33:10 AM »
Cool guys, thanks for the info.
Nah Im serious about this, no mess'n around. I want a custom sure, but its a bit crazy learning on a pro bike b/c its GONNA get seriously wasted during my learning phase.

New zealand ****ing sucks.
RRP(NZ)699 converted to US$ = 482.00 vs actual US$299 (max I've seen)
.. pissed? oh yea NZ retailers are a bunch of evil bitch godesses.

I dunno man, bikes like quamens are made to last, ive NEVER heard of a quamen breaking, sure you may have to replace some things, but thats just a part of flatland, in truth you will never stop breaking parts, no matter how good you get.

Offline remedy

• Forkglider
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2007, 04:20:31 AM »
hell yea, I hear ya hardcore.
I reckon its just a stupid idea to spend 2000+ on a bike for a beginner such as myself.
Im not worried about the bike breaking b/c I expect the bike to handle what its made for.
anyways; the NZ flatlanding scene is SMALL. Im lucky now b/c I emailed a australian store asking if they could ship to NZ and he passed on my email to the local dealer (that I was unware of) and he's ordering 1 dk signal for the arrival of 1 march...sweet just intime for college.

Offline Jesse Vetrone

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2007, 04:11:13 PM »
awesome. I don't think you will be dissapointed.

and im feeling ya on the small scene. I have never even seen another flatlander

Offline remedy

• Forkglider
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2007, 01:45:50 AM »
is it unpopular b/c ppl just look at it and think "its too hard, I wont even try" ?
thats a sh*tty attitude, the fact that its difficult draws me to it.
theres nothing better than the satisfaction of overcoming something that you found to be a massive hurdle.

Like back when I was 13, 14 all my favourite games were the hardest ones to beat, but when you finish it you look back and think "man that was hard-case, but I did it."

Offline minus81

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2007, 02:14:13 AM »
You definitely will not be disappointed with the signal.  I've got one, and I'm having a blast with it.....that is when its not freezing out!!!  Perfect beginner bike.

Offline Jesse Vetrone

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2007, 02:23:50 AM »
is it unpopular b/c ppl just look at it and think "its too hard, I wont even try" ?
thats a ****ty attitude, the fact that its difficult draws me to it.
theres nothing better than the satisfaction of overcoming something that you found to be a massive hurdle.

Like back when I was 13, 14 all my favourite games were the hardest ones to beat, but when you finish it you look back and think "man that was hard-case, but I did it."

I think it's a mix of that, the bikes being expensive, and the fact that until it goes mainstream, it will always seem weird to people who know nothing about it.

seeing is understanding, there is a totaly different understanding from saying, "yeah i do tricks on a bike... in a parking lot..." and actually showing someone a video.

also it's not "extreme" enough for mainstream exposure... street and vert and whatever will always look more dangerous, but they are far less impressive in my book. the hours you haev to put into flatland to be succesfull at it is not somthing many people are willing to commit to.

it pisses me off sometimes, like i just wish people would respect it more instead of just saying im crazy, or asking my to jump a ramp or some dumb sh*t like that. but i like being unique too

Offline x james x

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2007, 04:43:50 AM »

my 2000 plus begginer ride . I,ve only been riding a few months now and i,m so glad i went custom . It only took a couple of weeks on a street bike for me to KNOW it was wrong for me . Honestly to me everything feels better on this ride .