Author Topic: On the heels of the New school/old school/fat tony's school threads...  (Read 3101 times)

Offline The Brown Sound

• GF Inhabitant
So a thought occurred to me and I'm not sure if I can explain the thought that occurred on the drive home, stoned and exhausted. I basically got thinking about the new school vs old school debate and the now school bit. I've only skimmed the responses to Fat's response but it seems to have stirred up quite a bit of feelings from different demogrpahics. Bear w me as this could be the stupidest idea ever but here goes.

What if there different genres of riding like there are in music? And why couldn't all of those styles be featured in contests provided you could get people there or even feature flat in a mainstream contest? Just like there are soul skaters and surfers, there are old school soul riders. I def fall in that category, but at the same time I'm all about new school progression. If anything, I've learned not to put limits on my riding.

I guess my point is, no matter how flawed the above idea sounds or redundant (I'm sure someone will mention beginner, intermediate, expert, pro classes but I mean even more specialized by style) I pick up awesome ideas out of the feedback from tony, AND old school cats. Why can't a majority of you see that? If y'all want Flat to progress recognize the good of old, and meld it w the current state of things. Does it enthrall me to view a dude spinning and pumping tricks? Initially not so much from a spectator pov, but technically it's f@cking amazing! And the bar will keep getting harder. Katrina Jumps ala Adams are amazing, kickflips etc how can you f@cking deny that? That said, I like a lot of people come from the 90's style of long rolling tricks...I can appreciate it all. Why is one better than the other? Why not just diff? Why don't multiple styles have their own place?

Anyhow just my somewhat hungover midmorning ramblings. tell me I'm a fookin' loon. Tell me I'm an idiot. Just tell me your opinions or thoughts, and move fwd twds the progression. Like it or not, things is a changing as there is an interesting crossroads of old meets new. I for one am truly excited for it.
I'm like the brown LL Cool J.

Offline tod miller

• GF Inhabitant
  • ATX Crew, rollin' deep!
I don't think you're a loon. 

I don't think one style is better than the other...just different.  They are both hard as hell...and should be respected on the difficulty factor, not what is "hot or not". 

"A puppet no more!"

TexasFlat

I'm with you man..I'm personally a little tired of seeing the debate. The only 'school' I know about is the one down the block with the nice parking lot. I don't think riding is about 'school' or era as much as it IS about style. 

To each his reach..whatever style or school you embrace..awesome..just ride!  Personal style is what makes flatland great. I'm always stoked to see ANYONE riding a freestyle bike.. whether they are doing endos or cross-footed hikers.

gt

Offline Bamalama

• Cliffhanger
and we should also divide those classes into top tube lengths then those into cs lengths, with these classes divided into separate height and weight groups. All these things affect style so why not! f*cking stupid... 

or there could be a 40+(age) category but i doubt there'd be a big turnout or profit
« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 08:46:04 PM by Bamalama »

Offline dr.feelgood

• Backpacker
I'm with you man..I'm personally a little tired of seeing the debate. The only 'school' I know about is the one down the block with the nice parking lot. I don't think riding is about 'school' or era as much as it IS about style. 

To each his reach..whatever style or school you embrace..awesome..just ride!  Personal style is what makes flatland great. I'm always stoked to see ANYONE riding a freestyle bike.. whether they are doing endos or cross-footed hikers.

gt

same here -_- :ph34r:
I figured it wouldn't be long before the hater extraordinaire chimed in..
:lol:

Offline DaveDeBuono

• Deathtrucker
there was an "old school" class at an old maplewood comp and everyone had fun.
life is short. stunt it.

Offline The Brown Sound

• GF Inhabitant
I'm not sure if I'm interpreting your post right or ? Not sure if you are in agreeance or disagreeance and saying it's dumb lol? If the latter, I think the gear doesn't dictate the style. Going back to the music genre analogy, there isn't les paul rock or stratocaster rock, or marshall amp country etc really it's more about the end style. If you are in agreeance lol I'l stfu... ;D :beer:

and we should also divide those classes into top tube lengths then those into cs lengths, with these classes divided into separate height and weight groups. All these things affect style so why not! f*cking stupid... 

or there could be a 40+(age) category but i doubt there'd be a big turnout or profit

Offline AK

• GF Inhabitant
Flatland, freestyle is still really young,and small..Maybe like 35 years from now when theres a bunch of different flat eras there will start to be like Jimi Hendrix's of flat that will meld styles together for everyone else to follow...

TJ Perry

there was an "old school" class at an old maplewood comp and everyone had fun.

There was an old school class at a contest in Illinois too under the CFB. I remember Paul Vail falling on a smith decade and putting a crack in the pavement ahahaha.

Offline brian84corvette

• GF Inhabitant
I like all forms of bmx - even racing to a small extent.
street / vert / dirt / flat...   freeride
all of it.

but - I my self did not realley learn old school tricks back when I was a kid.
I just did dirt jumping and ramp.    now that im a flatlander,  ive learned new school,
and I ride a old school bike.   go figure...   haha!

there realley is no diffrence in it all to me at least.  I take it for what it is
and I wow at videos of mathias and terry ,  along with wow at dorkin in york series.
scuffing, pumping, flipping, switching, carving, rolling, hopping, crashing...   its all good stuff.
Old dudes can still rip

Offline tod miller

• GF Inhabitant
  • ATX Crew, rollin' deep!
I like all forms of bmx - even racing to a small extent.
street / vert / dirt / flat...   freeride
all of it.

but - I my self did not realley learn old school tricks back when I was a kid.
I just did dirt jumping and ramp.    now that im a flatlander,  ive learned new school,
and I ride a old school bike.   go figure...   haha!

there realley is no diffrence in it all to me at least.  I take it for what it is
and I wow at videos of mathias and terry ,  along with wow at dorkin in york series.
scuffing, pumping, flipping, switching, carving, rolling, hopping, crashing...   its all good stuff.

+1

I still hold the Plywood Hoods in high regard, because they seemed like "riders" first and foremost...not "flatlanders" or "street riders"...or blah, blah, blah.  I never understood the need to label oneself something particular, and ultimately restrict your freedom.
"A puppet no more!"

Offline Fat Tony

• Backpacker
Yeah, that would be awesome for there to be an older class at contests and talks of that are already in the works for next year's Jomopro.

(Not sure if this post had any direct correlation to my article though.)

Offline The Brown Sound

• GF Inhabitant
Thx T - Glad I'm not crazy for thinking it. in regards to the pertinence to your Blog, Ashamedly I've yet to read. Just going off people's reactions and truthfully I have no opinion on your blog (w/o having read it that is) - just people's reactions to your blog.

Prasheel

I personally suggest you don't drive while high.

Everything else made sense though.

Offline The Brown Sound

• GF Inhabitant
rofl. I'll take that into account  -_- :beer: