Author Topic: How many rain rides before a nankai needs an o/h?  (Read 2352 times)

Offline mikeyscrewdriver

• Funky Chicken
How many rain rides before a nankai needs an o/h?
« on: May 06, 2009, 07:31:25 AM »
Does all the grease just wash out after a ride or two in the rain?

Offline subscene

• Backpacker
Re: How many rain rides before a nankai needs an o/h?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 07:37:45 AM »
umm.. I think not!

Offline SNOOP

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 07:46:14 AM »
LoL, my nankais been riding longer then i have and rain has never harmed it. Go bomb a muddle puddle.
Rainy weather everywhere? Been alot of strange posts lately...

Offline Andy Marsh(Mallow)

• Backpacker
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 07:35:02 PM »
No, your hub should be ok if you use good quality bearing grease a lot of it. 

Yes, lots of rain here too.  This whole week was forecast for rain.  It's raining really hard as I write this.  Damn global warming is messing with the weather.

Anyways, The only parts that seem to me to be affected by rain are my chain, brake cables (and brake pads as they make my entire rear rim black and dirty).  The water down here seems to have a lot of minerals in it, like limestone.  It seems to deposit in my chain and bike lock also over the course of a school year.  I don't know. Maybe it's just me. 

For my older dirt jumping ride, The unsealed bearings and cup on my BB got corroded and replaced with a sealed Am. BB, and unsealed bearings on the wheels I had, one of which got destroyed and replaced with a sealed f/f hub.  I can't be sure if that was caused by the rain or by my riding style, though, as I rode flat on it before I got my Tantra.

I still do not ride my flat ride in the rain ever just to be safe.  I can't justify spending that much money and having it get rusted or wet!  Even if it won't really "damage" it. I make sure it never sees the rain.  The only exception would be my KHE Geisha freecoaster, which I had on my dirt jumping bike to get to and from classes as I didn't have the money to build a flat ride at that time.  The Geisha held up fine to rain, and I only had to grease it a few times.  However if you use good bearing grease and a lot of it, you should be fine.   
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 07:40:46 PM by Andy Marsh(Mallow) »
being small has it's advantages... :mellow:

NoSweatShop.com" BORDER="0

Offline AK

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 10:52:40 PM »
 I ride my bike to work,I ride it everywhere,I put alot of miles on my nankai... I regrease it once or twice a year..Its all good, the things ancient too its like 7 years old...Leave it laying around in pouring rain or riding a few miles thru some serious pouring rain would propably wash grease out- and you'd kknow it but some flatlanding in some drizzle your alright..

Offline mikeyscrewdriver

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2009, 08:15:13 AM »
Yeah I'm thinking of getting one. Do they handle side load smoother than Geisha's? I ride my bike to work and sometimes that means a few k's through pouring rain. Thanks for your feedback Ak and screw you to that dude who called this a strange post.

Offline The Brown Sound

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2009, 04:33:08 PM »
Yes from everything I've read and understood, this is the very reason Nankai hasn't switched over to sealed bearings - from the very fact the looseball bearings handle sideloads better than sealed bearings. That said, the new KHE type coasters all have a Bushing which has reduced bearing blowout a great amount. I myself have both coasters but haven't had enough time on the Federal to review it. Rolls really smooth though so I like that a lot~

Yeah I'm thinking of getting one. Do they handle side load smoother than Geisha's? I ride my bike to work and sometimes that means a few k's through pouring rain. Thanks for your feedback Ak and screw you to that dude who called this a strange post.
I'm like the brown LL Cool J.

Offline EZChris

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2009, 07:28:14 PM »
I think the question should be:

Re: How many rides before a nankai needs an o/h?

And the answer is:

Half a session.
Proud member of the Spaff Cartel.

Offline mid_night gypsy

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2009, 12:34:39 PM »
Does all the grease just wash out after a ride or two in the rain?

Using a good quality grease that is waterproof like Phil Wood will help a lot. I use it for everything that I can. Even rebuilt all my sealed bearings with this stuff. works great.....Russ

Offline mikeyscrewdriver

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2009, 08:48:14 PM »
What do you think ez chris? Stick with the Geisha?