Author Topic: Should tall people(over 6 feet) ride flatland?  (Read 12859 times)

Offline FAZE808

Should tall people(over 6 feet) ride flatland?
« on: May 06, 2009, 07:59:05 AM »
Im around 6'4' or 6'3'. I want to learn how to ride but people discourage that i should learn how because of my height. And also I am a little over weight. but i still want to start doing something active and was really looking forward to become a beginner at flatland.

What should I do?

Offline mikeyscrewdriver

• Funky Chicken
Re: Should tall people(over 6 feet) ride flatland?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 08:05:28 AM »
Ride! Get out and ride everyday! You can do it!

Offline subscene

• Backpacker
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 08:18:36 AM »
your not to tall, just get a bigger bike (maybe 19-19.6")  and try to get in shape. good luck xD

Offline FAZE808

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 08:38:26 AM »
would a 19' be a comfortable ride for my height?

And are either bmx bikes or flatland bikes good for long distancs travelling? well not so much long but are they good for riding on on a daily basis?

Offline SNOOP

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 08:55:50 AM »
http://flatlandfuel.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1258

If i were as tall as you im thinking something with the geometry of this would be suitable, juggarnauts selling one in the forsale section if ur liking that.

But thats just an idea, just ride whatever bmx you have and get comfortable with it...Develop you an aggressive obsession with learning on your bike, and the bike will talk to you. It will let u know what u dont like, what you do, what has to go, and what can stay for whatever reason odd if it may be.

Offline tod miller

• GF Inhabitant
  • ATX Crew, rollin' deep!
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2009, 09:03:20 AM »
Yes...ride.  I am 6'02".   Tall bars and tall fork steerer tube(with spacers) will help...and a longer frame.  Anywhere from 19 to 20 inch, and maybe a touch longer cranks and seatpost. 

Yes...ride your BMX bike everywhere.  I ride it to work, to the grocery store, to the spots, to the blah, blah, blah.  I am 35 years old, and haven't owned a car in 15 years.  My bikes are my cars.
"A puppet no more!"

Offline Rob Shaw

• Backpacker
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2009, 10:14:02 AM »
just look at trever meyer, one of the best riders of all time. im not sure on his exact height but he must be 6'4" or taller.

KHE King

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2009, 10:54:18 AM »
macneil has a frame w/22" toptube.   ride 48 spoke wheels with 14mm axles.  chromo ur crank spindle.  do a 8.75 street bar or a custom london.(D.DEMO has some 9s). no plastic pegs.   u can run a 25-26/9 ratio for speed.  SO BASICLY a so-called hybrid would suit ur demands.

check the gallery for guys like SWF RICK, BUDZ, DION, and most of the albany crew.  they're all rather sizable dudes. I'm 6'1 195 and ride 18.25. but   I don't try and cram myself between the bars and seat.   U'll find a way if that's wat u want. there's even some dudes that flat on cruisers.

Offline Julian Matias

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2009, 11:29:28 AM »
well im tall too and i ride a small frame.
of course you can!

Offline condemned bmx

• Deathtrucker
  • yo
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2009, 12:07:38 PM »
flatlanders arnt all dwarfs you kno
slater

TJ Perry

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2009, 01:34:50 PM »
I'm 6ft 4. I think I do fine :)

katobmx

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2009, 01:36:34 PM »
Im around 6'4' or 6'3'. I want to learn how to ride but people discourage that i should learn how because of my height. And also I am a little over weight. but i still want to start doing something active and was really looking forward to become a beginner at flatland.

What should I do?

^_^ ^_^ ^_^ I'm 16 and already 5"10.5" My flatland days are numbered ^_^

Offline EZChris

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2009, 07:14:30 PM »
im 6.1 and ride a 19.1, but soon going down to a 18.8 - height is an advantage if anything, id suggest a frame in the upper echelons of the 19" range, and some 8" bars for sure.

I would say you dont need 14mm axles, but it depends if youre gonna take this thing on a flying lesson or two. Personally I think 14mm are so over engineered and its not needed - a nice 10mm will do you fine.
Proud member of the Spaff Cartel.

Offline steve

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2009, 07:17:19 PM »
im over 6'2 and i ride a 18.6

Offline That Joe Miller

• Cliffhanger
    • Unknown Sports
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2009, 08:51:14 PM »
OK, I'm 6 ft 5 1/2 inches tall and have been riding since Christ was a child. Being tall is both help and hinderence, it makes some tricks easier and some more difficult, but it's the same for shorter riders as well. If you are 5ft 2 deathtrucks are going to be tough, so I think it really does not matter @ all. L8r, Joe
That Joe miller