Author Topic: profile cranks question?  (Read 1421 times)

Offline rawchild

• GF Inhabitant
profile cranks question?
« on: April 30, 2009, 01:28:23 AM »
 Can I put locktight on the spindle bolts?  On the none drive side bolt keeps coming lose.  I have a ti spindle and regular stainless steal flush bolts.  Maybe I put too much anti seize lub on the bolts I don't know...what should I do?
Hey Meg...check this out.

Offline kabirun

• GF Inhabitant
Re: profile cranks question?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009, 05:26:24 AM »
 that is a rare occurrence. I recommend exchanging the bolts or even getting a new bolt for that side of the spindle and try to see if fits tighter.

Offline wookie

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2009, 06:17:12 AM »
I would NOT recommend using locktite with anything Ti.  Check to see that you have the proper amount of spacers on the spindle so the bolts actually press everything together and are not bottomed-out on the spindle.

brian

Offline Paradoxium

• Administrator
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2009, 07:12:55 AM »
The main reason crank bolts come undone on splined cranks is from movement due to the arms not being seated enough onto the spindle. You really need both arms as close to the frame as possible, giving you maximum spline on spline contact.

Take a look at the non drive side arm. Remove that bolt. Is there half of the spline showing?

Offline rawchild

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2009, 08:25:58 PM »
  So the spindle needs to be centerd between both cranks?
The main reason crank bolts come undone on splined cranks is from movement due to the arms not being seated enough onto the spindle. You really need both arms as close to the frame as possible, giving you maximum spline on spline contact.

Take a look at the non drive side arm. Remove that bolt. Is there half of the spline showing?
Hey Meg...check this out.

Offline Paradoxium

• Administrator
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2009, 01:42:37 AM »
Preferably, but the more of the spline you have seated, the more stable it becomes. If its only half seated, it can move and make the bolts continually come undone. If its at least 80% seated, its much better.