Author Topic: Research paper on Flatland History  (Read 7380 times)

Offline zraigy7

Research paper on Flatland History
« on: April 27, 2009, 10:56:59 PM »
Hey everyone! Well i am in the 9th grade and i have to choose a topic for my research paper. I chose the history of Flatland BMX. My other choice is the progression of flatland BMX and its riders since it was first started. I do not know which one to do. I have to declare my final topic tomorrow at the end of class. I was wondering if anyone could help me find some sources on either of these topics. I need as much info as possible and i can't use wiki(i know i hate it too). Any info./sources is very much appreciated. Also, if you have a better idea for the topic, please suggest it! Thanks in advanced!

Zraigy

TJ Perry

Re: Research paper on Flatland History
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 10:58:19 PM »
I don't know if you'll find any "scholarly" sources that you could use, but other than asking people on here you should check out www.bmxtrix.com. Paul has some write ups about the history of the sport back into the eighties up until maybe 2000.

Ask people on here too. The older guys LOVE to talk about that stuff :)

Offline tod miller

• GF Inhabitant
  • ATX Crew, rollin' deep!
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 11:02:16 PM »
I don't know if you'll find any "scholarly" sources that you could use, but other than asking people on here you should check out www.bmxtrix.com. Paul has some write ups about the history of the sport back into the eighties up until maybe 2000.

Ask people on here too. The older guys LOVE to talk about that stuff :)

Yes, we love to talk about that stuff...and then you can ask TJ about the current stage of flat progression...this site is one huge resource, waiting to be used.  Start askin' questions!
"A puppet no more!"

Offline clint23

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 11:09:37 PM »

Offline jffe

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 11:46:34 PM »
http://www.23mag.com/

----That place has a TON of flat/freestyle history, and really, is about 90%+ accurate.  :ph34r:

jffe

Offline Fat Tony

• Backpacker
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2009, 02:33:28 AM »
Not to let the cat out of the bag or anything, but look for a "progression" article on ridebmx.com on May 5th.

Offline AK

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2009, 08:01:44 AM »
 www.vintagebmx.com ...Man I hated those research papers more than anything  :rolleyes: I used to try to do them on bmx topics too it was always a pain in the ass to get all the citations,and good story etc, flatland kicks ass, but I would do it on bmx as a whole or maybe just a more general topic, thats just my advice

Offline Martin

• Administrator
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2009, 10:11:17 AM »
www.vintagebmx.com ...Man I hated those research papers more than anything  :rolleyes: I used to try to do them on bmx topics too it was always a pain in the ass to get all the citations,and good story etc, flatland kicks ass, but I would do it on bmx as a whole or maybe just a more general topic, thats just my advice

Well, I think it might be more interesting to write a about a BMX topic. But if you want to make your school life easier then a more general topic will be the better choice ;)

If you need some citations then the Flat Kings book could be a good source ..

Offline iceqb25

• Backpacker
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2009, 06:27:02 PM »
this is what im writing my jrp on so if you guys know any cites or somewhere i can find all the imformation from the video "joe kid ad a stingray" or something like that.

Offline CoolGuy

• Hitchhiker
  • Chuck Norris can judge a book by its cover.
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2009, 06:30:48 PM »
Props for writing a paper on flatland.  When you finish it, post it up so we can read.   ;D
“There is a God shaped vacuum in the heart of every man which cannot be filled by any created thing, but only by God, the Creator, made known through Jesus”
 Blaise Pascal  (French Mathematician, Philosopher and Physicist, 1623-1662)

Offline tod miller

• GF Inhabitant
  • ATX Crew, rollin' deep!
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2009, 06:36:39 PM »
this is what im writing my jrp on so if you guys know any cites or somewhere i can find all the imformation from the video "joe kid ad a stingray" or something like that.

Maybe you should contact Mark Eaton...

Plywood Hoods website...or elephantglide.com...he hangs there some.
"A puppet no more!"

Offline zraigy7

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2009, 10:48:38 PM »
Thanks for the great advice everyone! I am thinking i am going to do the majority of my paper on the progression of flatland rather than the history. If there any older guys out there that wouldn't mind answering a few questions please just message me on here or my e-mail. Zraigy7@yahoo.com. I would also love to talk to some of the newer guys that really know their stuff. I just want to ask some basic stuff like, how do you think flatland has progressed as a sport? What makes flatland so unique? stuff in that general area. So if you think you can help just message me or e-mail me. Thankis a lot!

Also, The three main points that i told my teacher i would discuss in the paper are: 1. The history of Flatland. 2. The progression of flatland since its beginnings until today. 3. What makes flatland the most unique of all the BMX styles.
So my questions will be in that general area if you think you can help me. and i am going to post the paper up later on for sure! i am so pumped to write this paper haha!

Zraigy

Offline iceqb25

• Backpacker
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2009, 05:38:14 PM »
nice, when you finish it put it up here so everyone can read. im writing one too

Offline zraigy7

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2009, 10:55:46 PM »
Thanks again everyone! I found out that i need 5 sources and 2 of them have to be from the internet. So i am using that progression article on the 5th and am going to be asking Fattony some questions. I need 2 more people to talk to. So please e-mail me if you can.

Offline Amahl Abdul-Khaliq

• Backpacker
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2009, 04:05:42 PM »
Just talk to Rodney Williams, aka the flatland historian.