Author Topic: Terry Adams wins Twilight Jam?  (Read 5287 times)

Offline Mr News Bot

• Robot
  • GF Inhabitant
    • global-flat
Terry Adams wins Twilight Jam?
« on: April 26, 2009, 10:38:57 PM »
According to Effraim aka flatmattersonline the winner of the Twilight Jam 09 is Terry Adams! The rest of the results seem to be top secret so we´ll leave you uninformed for now ;-)

2 minutes of footage from the contest can be found on the
Sulferblitz Vimeo channel

katobmx

Re: Terry Adams wins Twilight Jam?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2009, 11:24:10 PM »
Very Original moves from the guy in the blue shirt.

Offline Vic Román

• Cliffhanger
  • RaD!
    • Gorilla Photo Media
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 01:48:13 AM »
 ;D

"This ain't segregation this is freestyle folks". - Ruben Castillo

Offline iceqb25

• Backpacker
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 07:36:58 PM »
nice, hes pretty good

Offline JFos

• GF Inhabitant
    • www.myspace/richardmccoy.com
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 09:24:39 PM »
blue shirt ='s Luiz from Sau Paulo.

Very good..but very gone in two weeks. : (
Schramm’s Law: “The single most important contributor to a nation’s economic growth is the number of startups that grow to a billion dollars in revenue within 20 years.”

Offline JFos

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2009, 09:25:22 PM »
someone ask him to marry them/her/him.
Schramm’s Law: “The single most important contributor to a nation’s economic growth is the number of startups that grow to a billion dollars in revenue within 20 years.”

Offline D

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2009, 08:49:57 PM »
It was a fun comp.  I was a bit in question of some of the judging though.  (full disclosure:  I was a judge myself). 

I know this was a local comp and it doesn't really matter, but this kinda thing bothers me so I'm mentioning it.

One HUGE problem with judging in almost every contest I've ever been to is there is just way too much bias.  Too often I see people getting judged on what they are potentially capable of, or what they have done in the past, or what they did in a video, or the fact that they are friends with them, or because they are sponsored, or because "new school" is better than anything else, rather than WHAT THEY ACTUALLY DID IN THE CONTEST.   People forget that is the only thing that matters when you are judging a contest.  It doesn't have anything to do with what someone CAN do, it matters what they actually DO during that time period, right then.

Anyway, Terry rocked, he was way ahead of everyone else.  That should come as no surprise to anyone here. 

I had some issues with the other placings, though......   

Coops hardly made any mistakes and a had several runs full of tough, progressive, different tricks on BOTH front and back wheels and got 4th.  I was surprised about that, he deserved to be placed way higher.  There is more to flatland than pumping front wheel tricks, and going really, really, really fast in a megaspin isn't all that hard, especially if you fall off in most of your links.

Damian got shafted, big time.  His tricks weren't quite as progressive some of the other riders in the comp, but he was solid, was very consistent, and did some pretty hard stuff.  I felt like the other judges, new school guys, downgraded what he did because it had scuffing in it and didn't look like what Mathias does....  There were other guys who didn't land a single trick who placed higher than Damian, and that just sucks and is wrong.  Judges need to remember that just because someone is a great rider, if they don't pull ANY tricks in their run, they shouldn't be scored highly.  The guy I'm thinking of had a very off day and didn't do well even though he's a great rider.  But believe me, he won't take it personally if someone doesn't judge him well for turning in a bad contest run.

Maybe the placings had something to do with the judging system (1-10) scores on four categories + high score repeated

On a more positive note, that guy Luis had some pretty cool, very original stuff.  Mickey was consistent and rode well.    Dane was Dane and rode with the super smooth Dane style, always cool and fun to watch.   

« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 09:05:09 PM by D »

Offline JFos

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2009, 09:15:29 PM »
bias?

I think when consistancy equals the exact same score as originality and difficulty your going to run into problems. escpecially when your doubling their top score.

You could have a perfect run do tricks just slightly less difficult than someone not pulling any tricks and still lose.

I mean I judged and followed the guidlines. It realy come down to wether consitancy is as important as the difficulty originality AND style.

a rider could have had great style and poor execution and still have outperformed the guy pulling all his tricks based on the format.

I dont think bias had much to do with it.

Coops had great exectution and hard tricks but the person your referencing I believe that beat him pulled points in difficulty and style also and he did have one perfect run of three I believe...or close.

i think the scoring would have been perfect had the consistancy been doubled for everyone instead of doubling their highest score of five...but then again the system may have been set up to push for bombs tricks. something the crowd may have been looking for which I could understand from a promotional aspect.

I think they set up a system to try and avoid bias. i know many people think consitancy is the moct important and many believe difficulty is most important with obvious need to have some degree of consitancy. So they made them all equal. making pulling your tricks of the same % of your score as style or difficulty didnt made it easier to place higher without the pulled tricks.

No one placed high that totally bomed tho.

I do feel top two were pretty dead on. while we might be talking about who should have came in last or 3rd or 4th.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 09:19:24 PM by JFos »

Offline D

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2009, 09:39:36 PM »
Yeah, I was thinking about that.  On one hand you don't want to set up the judging like the old NBL comps, where you got penalized so badly for making a mistake that falling once would put you back 10 places, and everyone played it super safe and rode way, way, below their ability threshhold.  On the other hand you don't want to make it where difficulty is weighted so heavily that someone can come out and halfway attempt something impossibly difficult, not even come close, and beat someone who does tricks that are less difficult but pulled with much more consistency.   I can remember comps in years past where guys have placed in the top three and not landed a single trick!   Where they literally put both feet down 5-7 times in less than 3 minutes.  That sucks.   

But at the same time, you don't want some Ice Money type doing lawnmowers and back wheel hops and being perfect beating someone doing some new school Mathias link.  That sucks too.     

I was also thinking that 1-10 might be too big of a range.  I mean, if someone lands NO tricks, then technically speaking they should get a 0 on completion, right?   If one person gives them a zero and the others give them 5s instead, that could drastically alter the outcome.  If one judge stays at the top of the range and another stays towards the bottom, again that could alter the outcome pretty heavily.  Most judges start from 10 and work backward so anyone who actually DID give scores like 1s and 0s could make someone drop pretty far in the placings. 

Offline JFos

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2009, 10:00:30 PM »
No one realy said what completion was supposed to mean.

I kind of went like this...

If someone did a realy long link but didnt pull it I gave them a six for that particular run.

i didnt want someone to do a minute long link then not get credit.

then some guy does a pedal time machine and pulls it awho then gets no discount.

ten pulled lawnmowers doesnt out score a one minute link in completion for that matter in my book. but Ig uess it depends how you view completion to..I mean if terry puled a Katrina a whopper and whatever else exploding celestial gamm rays spraying orgazm in one link then failed on the pinky squeak to out..i'd have to give him SOME gredit for execution.

Im not talkign about merging difficulty with execution either. Im saying on a scale of one to ten how much completion was in his run. If Terry touched on the pull out after onoe minute of completed tricks I couldnt justify giving him a zero...while surely at the same time I coudnt justify giving him a ten.

Had completion coutned for more than the other categories I think Coops would have gotten a sollid tird.

If someone came out on one particular run and nailed it they got a ten.

i dont think I gave anyone lower than 6 on any run. They all hit something in every run.

so my completion score was probably higher than most on the bottem end but Im not sure if they used to scores from individual judges to tally a total to average or if they just said well Jeff had this guy in third and this guy in second and used actual placing to figure it out.

However it wouldnt matter what people were scoring them though..if all high scores were doubled from any given category.

i kind of like completion counting for 40% difficulty 20% style 20% hi gene 20%...yes the fuinger nail test.

Offline Bodhisattva

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2009, 11:33:11 PM »
"I think Coops would have gotten a sollid tird."

Nice!

Offline blind

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2009, 04:50:27 PM »
 I put terry first,dane sec then gabe and coop.   D don't be blinded be the spinning. There's a lot more going on there.