Author Topic: Tips on making riding surfaces out of wood...  (Read 2225 times)

Offline Cyborg

• Funky Chicken
Tips on making riding surfaces out of wood...
« on: April 10, 2009, 12:35:26 PM »
Yo! Any good ideas on how to make a good flat surface for riding out of wood? i imagine making a porche and then covering it with masonite or something but i have this vision of using wood pallets and then covering it with some sort of wood.. the problem i run into is keeping the surface even... any pointers or better ideas?

Offline tafkat

• GF Inhabitant
    • Jon Lavigne Dot com
Re: Tips on making riding surfaces out of wood...
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2009, 05:37:10 PM »
Pallets aren't an even or quality surface. They're made of the wood that's not good enough for anything else.

Make it like a deck... sink a few 4x4 posts for the corners, long sides, and center, level the tops of the posts build your box with 2x10s and 2x4s, with the "2" side up and enough of them to support the entire riding surface with no bounce, then surface it with smooth plywood. Then put a canopy over it, or cover it with a tarp to keep it from getting wet.

That's the "I have a budget" version. The "I don't have any money to do this" version would be different.

Offline cow

• Cliffhanger
  • neglect not the talents in thee............
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2009, 07:28:35 PM »
Pallets aren't an even or quality surface. They're made of the wood that's not good enough for anything else.

Make it like a deck... sink a few 4x4 posts for the corners, long sides, and center, level the tops of the posts build your box with 2x10s and 2x4s, with the "2" side up and enough of them to support the entire riding surface with no bounce, then surface it with smooth plywood. Then put a canopy over it, or cover it with a tarp to keep it from getting wet.

That's the "I have a budget" version. The "I don't have any money to do this" version would be different.

Hey bro...check this link......http://www.global-flat.com/photos/thumbnails.php?album=173
Whatever you want in life is gonna take some effort on your part!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fact is, freestyle riding was, is, and will always be evolving and moving in different directions. So just do what you want and have fun with it. Trends come and go.- TYRONE WILLIAMS

Offline tafkat

• GF Inhabitant
    • Jon Lavigne Dot com
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2009, 08:02:57 PM »
Sweet!

Offline Mr.Jowee

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2009, 01:44:29 AM »
Build it the same way you would build a deck; 2x6 joists, 4x4 posts, all copper treated and fastened with epoxy coated screws (not galvanized; they'll rust in a month or less). Instead of using deck boards use 2x4's, spaced closely together. A book on the proper construction of a wooden deck is easy to come by. You could probably find it on the internet for free.

Offline Ultraman Zoffy

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2009, 07:42:06 PM »
I'm actually putting in a "patio" at my house soon, and originally I was pricing out materials for decks: wood vs. concrete. From what I saw, concrete seemed the cheaper option for the size I'm looking at... you can bet I'm going to be all over the contractor explaining the "intended uses" for the area and how it needs to be as close to flat as possible (since it has to have some slope to it when laid out), smooth, etc.