Author Topic: I got my Dk Opsis today but...  (Read 3721 times)

Offline Trickzta

• Backpacker
I got my Dk Opsis today but...
« on: March 27, 2009, 10:41:35 PM »
everythings great, pretty proud of myself for getting it together. I had issues because I always seem to accidently take off the end of the brake wires. BUT THATS ALL GOOD NOW.

The issue is that I swear that theres a cat in my back tire. Whenever the back tire spins at a certain speed (just a bit faster than NOTHING) it makes something like a never ending MEOW sound.  (Kind of sounds like airs escaping?)  I didn't touch the back tire as it was on already so this is how it came out of the box. Im 99% sure air isn't escaping, and the noise seems to come from the freecoaster area... So if you have an idea on whats the problem, please give it a shot.  Im afraid to ride my bike because of it, and I want to ride really bad. (Plus, it annoys the **** out of me.

Thanks

Offline stvnlpsly

• GF Inhabitant
  • Quest BMX
    • Quest BMX
Re: I got my Dk Opsis today but...
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2009, 11:27:32 PM »
take the coaster apart, clean, regrease and reassemble.  i am guessing it comes with a taska unsealed, and in that case you will most likely have to repeat this process over and over i'd say once every two months if you want it to last long or work decent.  my first coaster was a taska unsealed and i got a full year riding out of it.  went to a nakai after that for 5 years and just switched to a taska u-free/ares boo2... good luck !!!!!!!!!

Offline Trickzta

• Backpacker
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2009, 02:03:37 AM »
NEVERMIND.  The back pegs have to be screwed on, and when I put them on I put them on lazily not all the way and forgot when I put the bolt or whatever on afterwards.  So that wasn't on all the way.  Its all good now.  Ill put off learning to fix my freecoaster for a little longer.   ^_^

Offline sackley85

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2009, 05:03:40 AM »
Actually, even though you said it's fixed (which I do hope is the case), I had the same issue. I figured out that it's the rubber cap on the hub that rubs up against the side of the hub, making that  weird squeeling noise.

Mine has never stopped, but a quick fix I keep coming back to is:

flip bike over
pedal with one hand
put a drop of lube in between the rubber cap and the hub with the other
pedal for 2 or 3 more seconds
flip bike back over
go ride

Usually lasts about 3 days.

Offline tod miller

• GF Inhabitant
  • ATX Crew, rollin' deep!
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2009, 05:17:35 AM »
Actually, even though you said it's fixed (which I do hope is the case), I had the same issue. I figured out that it's the rubber cap on the hub that rubs up against the side of the hub, making that  weird squeeling noise.

Mine has never stopped, but a quick fix I keep coming back to is:

flip bike over
pedal with one hand
put a drop of lube in between the rubber cap and the hub with the other
pedal for 2 or 3 more seconds
flip bike back over
go ride

Usually lasts about 3 days.

Same problem here...but I used silicone...and more than a few drops.  Have been riding it for months and no more squeel.  For about a week when I got it...I just rode with my headphones up...way loud.  Ha, ha...problem solved.  No one else liked me though...
"A puppet no more!"

Offline Trickzta

• Backpacker
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2009, 01:28:50 PM »

For about a week when I got it...I just rode with my headphones up...way loud.  Ha, ha...problem solved.  No one else liked me though...
[/quote]

I was thinking of that, but I was afraid something was slowly wearing away inside. I'll remember what you guys did for if it isn't actually fixed.

Offline !!SuPerPowerZ!!

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2009, 05:43:09 AM »
does your back wheel turn smoothly, cause mine is barley turning. Do any of you now how to fix this?

Offline tod miller

• GF Inhabitant
  • ATX Crew, rollin' deep!
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2009, 05:51:56 AM »
does your back wheel turn smoothly, cause mine is barley turning. Do any of you now how to fix this?

Could be several things...like the brake pads rubbing...or you have your hub to tight.  Check both.  If the hub is too tight, you will need to adjust it with a crescent wrench holding the nut inside the dropout while you tighten the outside nut with a socket wrench.  You can tighten one side of the wheel down...then concentrate on the other.  When you do the other side, loosen up the hub by loosening the nut until your wheel rolls freely, but there is no "wooble" in the hub.  Once you get that adjusted, you can hold it there with a crescent wrench or cone wrench and tighten the backwheel with the socket. 

Hope this explains things some.  If it doesn't help...Google freecoasters and you should find a video or two to help.  If that doesn't help...take it to your local bike shop, or if you ride with some folks...they might be able to help.

Good luck.
"A puppet no more!"

Offline sackley85

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2009, 03:09:41 PM »

Could be several things...like the brake pads rubbing...or you have your hub to tight.  Check both.  If the hub is too tight, you will need to adjust it with a crescent wrench holding the nut inside the dropout while you tighten the outside nut with a socket wrench.  You can tighten one side of the wheel down...then concentrate on the other.  When you do the other side, loosen up the hub by loosening the nut until your wheel rolls freely, but there is no "wooble" in the hub.  Once you get that adjusted, you can hold it there with a crescent wrench or cone wrench and tighten the backwheel with the socket. 

Hope this explains things some.  If it doesn't help...Google freecoasters and you should find a video or two to help.  If that doesn't help...take it to your local bike shop, or if you ride with some folks...they might be able to help.

Good luck.

Yea, that's pretty good there. My only advice on top of that is it may be worth the bother of taking the wheel off and mounting it on a table vice. When I did that it was much easier to adjust the cone nut and get the hub rolling smoothly - I could loosen the lock nut, loosen the cone nut, then tighten the lock nut just a bit and spin the wheel, see how well it did and if it was wobbly, then try again until it was good.

It's really precise too - I think I got it within 1/20th of a turn on the wrench for the hub to spin well and not be wobbly (any tighter and it wouldn't spin well, any looser and the wheel wobbled).

Good Luck

Offline !!SuPerPowerZ!!

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2009, 08:49:19 PM »
i know its not the brakes, so basiclly i just gotta loosen the nuts by just unscrewing it allittle?

Offline sackley85

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2009, 04:02:53 AM »
http://www.wtlw.net/ff/taska/  (Taska Hub Adjustment)

www.free-coaster.com

And yes- loosen the lock nut, adjust cone nut, tighten locknut against cone nut.