Author Topic: FW steams  (Read 2186 times)

Offline AddisonM

• Backpacker
FW steams
« on: April 01, 2009, 12:17:32 AM »
Hey GF, I think i've got FW steamrollers down fairly good, i can ride them for a long time, have fiddled with switching hands, etc. but once i'm in the FW steam position, I'm not sure what to link it to. I'm a beginner so keep that in mind.

Also, anyone have tips on jumping from dork wheelie straight into one footed manual?
I'd rather have AIDS than buy another Nankai.

Offline stvnlpsly

• GF Inhabitant
  • Quest BMX
    • Quest BMX
Re: FW steams
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 12:19:27 AM »
maybe link into funky chicken or if you can cruise them pretty well then maybe try wheelchairs

the beard

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2009, 01:24:12 AM »
steams have a ton of possibilities; double footed, steam to karl cruiser, fw to bw steam, spinning, then tricks like half hiker, funky chicken, crackpacker etc. I haven't tried jumping from dork to one foot manual, but you might try doing the dork on one foot, and then stepping with the other to the pedal. idk man, either way, good luck, it sounds fresh

Offline Ken NJ

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2009, 01:50:42 AM »
how do you get out of your fwd steams? 

when i got fwd steams down (not too long ago), i started to do this fwd rolling thing where i swing the frame back under (from back where it came from), and ride out..  looks cool budz suggested linking it to a karl kruiser or fwd hang 5...

now i'm trying to link fwd steams to hitchhikers..

budz showed me a good method for getting used to swinging the frame up from fwd steam to hitchhiker.

stand with both feet on the floor and (with pegs to your shins, pinching the front wheel), practice swinging the frame up into the hitchhiker position.

this will do a few things:
1.get you used to pivoting the frame with your feet in place.
2.get you familiar with the pedal position.
3.learn hand placement, put the monkey-grip on the back seat, put a little pressure on your thumb and get used to feeling the response from the frame as you swing it up.

also, to learn to roll hitchikers, try standing on the pegs with the bike in the hiker position, (bars to the ground to start) pointed downhill, and pull up on the back wheel, lean back and try to find the balance point.

disclaimer: i may have forgotten to mention something... ;D :beer:

have fun!! :mellow:
flat rules everything around me f.r.e.a.m.

Offline David (Toucan)

• Free Speech? Nahhh
  • Team
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2009, 04:35:23 AM »
everyone mentioned it pretty well... but a few more...

whiplash, kick flip the bars, forward steam with your foot on the opposite side of the bars and your leg over your bars (hard but fun)

mix it up- see what works for you.
Bikes--> Put The Fun Between Your Legs

Offline tod miller

• GF Inhabitant
  • ATX Crew, rollin' deep!
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2009, 08:12:38 AM »
Try to funky chicken...probably the easiest trick out of it.  Just throw your leg over the bars and drag your foot on the tire...once you loose some of your speed...you can then scuff.  Also, good idea to learn them double footed...that will open many tricks for you...hitchhikers, cliffhangers...anything that requires double footed balance.

How are your hang-fives coming along Addison?  Did you ever figure out a height for your seat?
"A puppet no more!"

Offline AddisonM

• Backpacker
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2009, 09:17:24 AM »
Hang fives are still the bane of my f*cking existence.

I still suck at them, nothing works, f*ck it. hahaha
I'd rather have AIDS than buy another Nankai.

Offline Pralex

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2009, 05:00:47 PM »

My bike works.  Superfact!

Offline tod miller

• GF Inhabitant
  • ATX Crew, rollin' deep!
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2009, 05:28:23 PM »

No...no f*ck it.  Don't be put off by that trick...I tell you, it's one of the funnest tricks ever.  I tell you, it's in the arms...push forward...unweight the back end(I find it easiest to go from your back pegs)...and from what I remember of you doing them...try a little more speed.  I find it easier to balance with a little more speed.  Don't give up! 
"A puppet no more!"