Author Topic: Controversial Chase Demo Toronto March 2009!  (Read 12445 times)

Offline the duke

• Hitchhiker
  • Word
Controversial Chase Demo Toronto March 2009!
« on: March 29, 2009, 05:31:29 PM »
Here is some unedited raw footage from a Chase demo March 2009

Let the riding speak for itself.

Maybe you need to have been around for a while to truly appreciate all Chase and contributed to flatland? Obviously not for monetary gain.

Seems to me that the least we can do is respect his requests and enjoy his demo the way he wants to present it?

Demos are tough. There even harder on a super slick surface. Then try doing it in front of a bunch of your piers and riders that are critical of you!  Fact is that Chase is riding at this level after 25 years is truly inspiring to me and a lot of guys out there. Keep up the hard work!

« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 05:45:06 PM by the duke »

Offline Bamalama

• Cliffhanger
Re: Controversial Chase Demo Toronto March 2009!
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009, 05:47:36 PM »
I don't get why he didn't just compete in the comp... It's like tony hawk doing a demo right before the X Games half pipe comp... Like wtf?

Offline jmctigret

• Backpacker
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2009, 05:53:00 PM »
Nice rideing! I like flatland at any stage.

havok

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2009, 05:57:10 PM »
great riding, but he's about to wear a hole in his ass.  ;D

Offline Stereolab

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2009, 07:58:13 PM »
That was the most edited "unedited raw footage" I've ever seen.  :)  But thanks. 

Offline ASC

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2009, 08:01:38 PM »
I liked the silence presentation, this is "his way." I like to hear footwork and listen to the shift. Its amazing you don't even hear the distinctive BMX chain sound. That's pretty cool. I also liked everyone's riding during comp mode presentation, it is who they are. To me this was all good.

I am glad the CFO does things differently for their events and am sure they'll mix things up too if need be. Its great to not go to a jam that's cookie cut and all the riders have the same way of being. I've been to too many jams, contests and also thrown many events for action sports, so this was refreshing...N

RIDE......RIDE......RIDE

Offline GRFN.FLAT.

• Deathtrucker
  • that's some scooby-snacks right thurr
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2009, 08:02:32 PM »
that was effin sick! love his style, really smooth and controlled

TJ Perry

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2009, 08:08:10 PM »
Wow. That was actually worse than I could have imagined.

It's good riding, but the way everything is quiet.. and the crowd doesn't even really sound into it.. hell.. even the riders don't look entertained.

Good riding, absolutely horrid presentation.*

Flatland demos at major contests are not for other riders, they're for regular people who come to the bike show. I mean if you like what you saw there is nothing wrong with that. I like his riding. It's punchy, controlled, and it's cool to see how much variety can be thrown in there.

What would improve this a lot, would be if you could take some variations of the mixes that Mark Eaton did for some of the later Dorkins, and sync up some of the eras of riding and styles of tricks, with what Chase did in the demo. He could literally do a "brief history of flatland", trim it down a few minutes, and have all this awesome music and background feel to go along with it. THAT I would be totally stoked on. He's been involved at a high level at nearly every historic point in flatland, to start off with some earlier links and end with very recent tricks would be so cool to see. You could watch flatland evolve right in front of you and not only would it be cool for the crowd to get a taste of how things have changed, riders would be into it too. I know I would.

*:All of which has absolutely nothing to do with what Chase has done for the sport outside of these demos.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 08:10:41 PM by 2FLAT2FURIOUS »

clp

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2009, 08:20:57 PM »
i really enjoyed that the silence created a great focus on the rider , anyone in the crowd who wasnt into it wouldnt have been into it however it was presented , it was raw and he took some risks with tricks i appreciate that alot .

Offline jmctigret

• Backpacker
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2009, 09:05:05 PM »
Thats a good ideal T.J,  a history of flatland demo. Starting from track stands, front hops, balanceing tricks ,endos, rockwalks, 360 bunny hop, cherry picker ect. As the mc talks about each trick. Then move on next level of flatland with diff music to each stage of flatland. Would be interesting to play around with. Maybe a stage where it shows Kevin Jones tricks that made flatland today, roperoni, hang five, dump truck, deathtruck, backpacker, hitchiker, elephant glide, locamotive ect ect.

TJ Perry

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2009, 09:09:31 PM »
Thats a good ideal T.J,  a history of flatland demo. Starting from track stands, front hops, balanceing tricks ,endos, rockwalks, 360 bunny hop, cherry picker ect. As the mc talks about each trick. Then move on next level of flatland with diff music to each stage of flatland. Would be interesting to play around with. Maybe a stage where it shows Kevin Jones tricks that made flatland today, roperoni, hang five, dump truck, deathtruck, backpacker, hitchiker, elephant glide, locamotive ect ect.

It would be amazing.

You could set up a projector with a quick introduction clip featuring riding from the dorkin series, transition that to maybe some intrikat video footage from like 2002 or so, then just have Chase come rolling the f*ck out riding full tilt with "Pretty tied up" playing. Holy sh*t I'd watch that in a heartbeat.

Offline GRFN.FLAT.

• Deathtrucker
  • that's some scooby-snacks right thurr
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2009, 09:20:56 PM »

have a different rider for each era with different clothes on (starting with 80s garb, moving towards the 90s, finishing with like paint on jeans and a stereo panda shirt), and maybe starting with more old-school looking bikes and then evolving towards the rides we use today.

Offline Luis Elías

• Team
  • Deathtrucker
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2009, 10:41:14 PM »
When he came down to Costa Rica for the Ticos Jam 6 he did the same thing. He asked the DJ to stop the music so that he would be able to be more focused on his riding. No one complained about that and everyone enjoyed his riding. But what is more amazing is the fact that at the end of the jam, he walked around the area and stared at the riders' bikes to see what they needed. He gave some riders bars, tires, backpacks, and even shoes. I don't know any pro rider that has done that before. Chase is a very different/unique person and we all should respect that.

Offline ASC

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2009, 01:37:55 AM »
Wow. That was actually worse than I could have imagined.

It's good riding, but the way everything is quiet.. and the crowd doesn't even really sound into it.. hell.. even the riders don't look entertained.

Good riding, absolutely horrid presentation.*

Flatland demos at major contests are not for other riders, they're for regular people who come to the bike show. I mean if you like what you saw there is nothing wrong with that. I like his riding. It's punchy, controlled, and it's cool to see how much variety can be thrown in there.

What would improve this a lot, would be if you could take some variations of the mixes that Mark Eaton did for some of the later Dorkins, and sync up some of the eras of riding and styles of tricks, with what Chase did in the demo. He could literally do a "brief history of flatland", trim it down a few minutes, and have all this awesome music and background feel to go along with it. THAT I would be totally stoked on. He's been involved at a high level at nearly every historic point in flatland, to start off with some earlier links and end with very recent tricks would be so cool to see. You could watch flatland evolve right in front of you and not only would it be cool for the crowd to get a taste of how things have changed, riders would be into it too. I know I would.

*:All of which has absolutely nothing to do with what Chase has done for the sport outside of these demos.

Alright non-stop tick tick jibber jabber... lol, If I see you at the Voodoo Jam, damn I am  gonna demand a demo by you, in the way that you have just stated above. Word for word, thought for thought, action by Jackson!

I have to say you guys make it look so easy during these events, no wonder people think its simple, especially when the event is located next to the whoohaa BMXers. Ya dig? Maybe there should be an interactive demo so people get how hard it is...The screen projection thingy would depend on the venue, space, time, etc... No matter

...the interactive moment off riding displayed by Chase in Costa Rica is nice touch, but then again your people(Costa Ricans) aren't hardass, unlike other people around the world, whereby one can be more free and true to the self...N
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 01:55:39 AM by ASC »
RIDE......RIDE......RIDE

Offline tafkat

• GF Inhabitant
    • Jon Lavigne Dot com
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2009, 03:58:38 AM »
The riding was awesome, I'm glad to get the chance to see the demo in question.

Who was the demo for? I know where the demo was, and which contest and all that, but it really wasn't made clear: was it a demo just so riders could see Chase ride, or was it a demo that was supposed to drum up interest in the rest of the contest?