Author Topic: Beginners - Tools you Need  (Read 94547 times)

Offline yo

Re: Beginners - Tools you Need
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2009, 01:13:33 AM »
Rust remover is really useful.If any parts have rust on them, they're not going to work very well.

Offline whitty

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #31 on: December 25, 2009, 02:10:52 AM »
i recommend getting a knife so you can cut your friends tires  :wacko:

Actually, I really do find that a knife is super useful, at the very least keep a box cutter handy all the time. You never know what you need to cut - packaging on new parts, rim tape, zip ties, whatever. I only rarely use mine to cut my friends' tires.

Offline Hugo @ Portugal

• GF Inhabitant
    • FlatlandPT
« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2009, 02:21:54 AM »
Something that I find can actually save alot of shop maintenance money:

Offline Corrupted account

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2010, 05:39:24 AM »
Always keep your allen wrenches with you it is a must,I have almost never gone out to ride and not used them.  this being said make sure you get good, durable ones that will last you.
Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter. — Martin Luther King Jr.

Offline whitty

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2010, 05:55:31 AM »
I actually find that a good multi tool is the best. Mine has allen keys, a chain tool, tire levers (though not the STRONGEST, I'd rather use my Park Tool levers but in a pinch, I suppose...), some screwdriver heads, and some other goodies.

Offline dwin_gtr

« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2010, 11:23:28 AM »
tire lever is like your best friend, i recommend the blue plastic park tools one

Offline adidas2d

« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2010, 01:26:02 AM »
If I buy a BMX bike as well as a Gyro and Freecoaster could I turn that bike into a capable Flatland bike? Since there doesn't seem to be a variety of completed Flatland bikes, I wanted to know if that was an option. Of course making sure the TT is about 19" and other geometric features. For example I was thinking of buying a Verde Radia with a Khe Reverse ACB Freecoaster Hub and  a Odyssey GTX-R Aluminum Gyro, but don't really know if that can be combined to flatland. I am 5'6" 115pd. The KHE A-Damn LT is my fallback bike though if this is not possible. Thank you.

jm

« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2010, 04:47:45 AM »
here's a few things that are just rad to have:

gloves are nice, I finally tried them for bikes and I like it. No black gunk to clean off the hands, less tiny scratches.

I have something like this that I keep in my main toolbag. it's great for small stuff. Mine is full of various spacers and washers, old bolts, nuts, loose allen wrenches, sockets, tire levers, patches, some quarters for phone calls, extra spokes and nipples, etc. They come in smaller sizes also. This is something that can fit in a backpack easily when you're out on your bike. Portable organization is very good.

cheap shop rags, or old tshirt rags are super cool. You can spread one out on the ground when you work on a bike to keep parts clean and not as likely to get lost. They come in handy all the time for different things.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 03:59:58 PM by jm »

Offline FlatlandNoob

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2010, 11:02:27 PM »
Hey, i just purchased a bike from danscomp and was wondering what my essential tools are gonna be to put it together. What are the main tools i need just to put the bike together? No i don't want someone to put my bike together for me. Why? cause i wanna learn how to do it myself. I only want a list of the tools im going to need just to get it running then later on ill pay for the rest of the things im going to need to maintain the bike.

Offline FlatlandNoob

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2010, 08:40:46 PM »
so i take it nobody has ever bought a knew bike.

Offline aikinetic

« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2010, 09:58:37 AM »

Nobody buys new... Why would you want new? Seems like an odd concept to me... I always thought old broken parts were much better to use :\ hm...

Of course we have had new bikes and put them together, you just gotta be patient on your response. When i got my new bike (2006 WeThePeople Sinus from flatland fuel) It came basically all put together already, all I had to do was put the handle bars on and the pegs. This involved a ratchet  with a couple inch extension and deep socket of the correct size, a crescent wrench to tighten the compression bolt holding the stem onto the forks and a 6mm allen wrench to tighten the bolts in the headset. I ride brakeless so i just tossed the brakes to the side and was all set with a few other minor adjustments.

If you plan to work on the brakes I assume they will come with the correct size cabling and you really just need a 5 or 6mm allen wrench to get the lever on and to tighten the calipers onto the forks. You will also need that adjustable wrench handy or the correct size regular wrench to adjust the spring tension on the calipers.

I really cant think of anything else I needed to use, but heres a list below to sum it up.

- 5 and 6mm allen wrench
- ratchet, extension, deep socket(size of the nuts on your axle)
- crescent wrench
- adjustable wrench

Offline FlatlandNoob

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2010, 10:25:44 PM »

Nobody buys new... Why would you want new? Seems like an odd concept to me... I always thought old broken parts were much better to use :\ hm...

Of course we have had new bikes and put them together, you just gotta be patient on your response. When i got my new bike (2006 WeThePeople Sinus from flatland fuel) It came basically all put together already, all I had to do was put the handle bars on and the pegs. This involved a ratchet  with a couple inch extension and deep socket of the correct size, a crescent wrench to tighten the compression bolt holding the stem onto the forks and a 6mm allen wrench to tighten the bolts in the headset. I ride brakeless so i just tossed the brakes to the side and was all set with a few other minor adjustments.

If you plan to work on the brakes I assume they will come with the correct size cabling and you really just need a 5 or 6mm allen wrench to get the lever on and to tighten the calipers onto the forks. You will also need that adjustable wrench handy or the correct size regular wrench to adjust the spring tension on the calipers.

I really cant think of anything else I needed to use, but heres a list below to sum it up.

- 5 and 6mm allen wrench
- ratchet, extension, deep socket(size of the nuts on your axle)
- crescent wrench
- adjustable wrench
Thnx but i got the bike 2 days before this post. I wanted to know what i needed BEFORE i got the bike so that i can go out and buy the tools and be ready to set up the bike when it got here.

Offline clarey

« Reply #42 on: July 23, 2010, 05:55:43 PM »
im getting the dk random wrench v2 to assemble my bike also gonna get some grease and lube as pat suggested anything else i need im sure i got it if i look hard enough

Offline freestyle19722

« Reply #43 on: December 09, 2010, 08:06:16 AM »

soon at flatland fuel http://www.bizhouse.com/

Offline Andrew Tarrant

• Cliffhanger
  • Is back...with a KFC bucket.
« Reply #44 on: December 29, 2010, 09:49:19 PM »

soon at flatland fuel http://www.bizhouse.com/

Actually pretty epic, always ruin my grips when I accidentally hit the bars to the ground hitch hiking
Mechanic is easy, all you need is a hammer and a blowtorch....BURN MOTHERf*ck BURRN