Author Topic: Beginners - Tools you Need  (Read 94550 times)

Offline khoma

• Hitchhiker
Re: Beginners - Tools you Need
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2009, 11:57:10 PM »
good thread. one question though, why no WD-40?

Offline Andy Marsh(Mallow)

• Backpacker
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2009, 10:34:15 PM »
good thread. one question though, why no WD-40?

From my experience back in the day as a newbie for bicycle maintenance in the 90s, WD-40 is bad as it seemed to rust or dry out my parts out over time because it washed out the grease that was already in the part and would just wash out quickly anyways.  It works if you want to degrease something or if you want a temporary quick fix knowing you will apply REAL bike grease the next day. 

Bicycle specific grease is the only way to go in my opinion as they have ingredients such as teflon that are more resistant to drying and water and therefore stay in and lubricate longer.
being small has it's advantages... :mellow:

NoSweatShop.com" BORDER="0

Offline khoma

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2009, 01:54:51 AM »
yeah obviously one shouldn't just put WD-40 in there and leave it like that, it's meant for de-greasing after all and that's a job it does well. just make sure to re-grease it eh.

TJ Perry

« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2009, 07:11:25 AM »
A band saw. For cutting flanges off grips.

Offline Mario Saldana

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2009, 11:12:56 PM »
or a razor blade..
IG: mas_xiii

Offline lekwar

« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2009, 12:12:56 PM »
A band saw. For cutting flanges off grips.

How they look like? Just asking Ive never do this...

Offline midschool

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2009, 04:00:05 AM »
Don't forget the torque wrench.

You may be disappointed if you fail but doomed if you never try.  Some people advance through life.  Others remain stagnant and only dream of what they can achieve.  There is a difference between wanting and having, saying and doing.  Don't let those who fear progression keep you down or steal your vision.  Act out on your dreams.  Everything is real and ANYTHING is possible.

Offline ASC

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2009, 05:31:38 PM »
Another great post...would be cool to have a section just geared to beginners. Makes it easier to find info...N
RIDE......RIDE......RIDE

Offline Red43j

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2009, 03:54:27 PM »
I do have most of these tools, however, I found a few out of this post that I would have never thunk of (rubber mallet-good idea!). How about the recommended tool box? I have one, its okay, but I'd really like to find something more practical for when I go to my spot.
Looking to sell Standard parts? I'm looking for Chrome stuff. Decals. Standard Pegs. Coaster Shells. White Dia Compe Tech 77's? You got 'em? Howzabout a 1992 Haro Ground Master F&F? I may just want them...
“There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” -Will Rogers

Offline David (Toucan)

• Free Speech? Nahhh
  • Team
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2009, 07:59:42 AM »
Don't forget the torque wrench.

i only ever use one at work on 15000 dollar race bikes or on my motorcycle... pointless on a bmx.

To the post about automotive grease- its too chunky and wont work smoothly on most any bearing on a bmx. I use phil wood greese on all my parts, and have personally taken my roadbike up to 50mph with that stuff in the wheelbearings. its fine. Its pricy, but its the best stuff out there.

For flatland though, park tool grease is perfectly fine
Bikes--> Put The Fun Between Your Legs

Offline dkopsis

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2009, 02:04:07 AM »

I would also hope that most local shops or local riders would be cool enough to take the time to stop and really teach you how to dismantle and maintain you bike.  It may be worth some time just to come in a shop on a slow day and ask them to show you how they fix things up.  Some basics.  Or ask a local rider to help you.  Sometimes the best way to learn is just to take something apart slowly and put it back together.  Chances are high that you will get it right and learn something in the process.

I tried this the other day. my front wheel was wobbling around and i didnt have any tools to even attempt to fix it. So that i could know for the future i took it to a bike shop and asked the guy if i could come into the room and see how he fixes it and what hes doin etc. THE GUY SAID NO...  :angry: :angry:  anyway so i had do stand out in a different room.

thats why i decided to go to this thread to see if i could just get the tools and try it myself next time

"if u cant ride out then u didnt learn it."- Lurtz uruk

rob joe

« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2009, 02:36:14 PM »
thanks went out and bought  tire levers

Offline Jared_D

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2009, 04:15:14 AM »
For a bike pump I would recommend the one below.  It's $60 but has a lifetime warranty and isn't cheap plastic.

http://www.amazon.com/Serfas-FMP-500-Bicycle-Floor-Pump/dp/B000UV8I94/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1259637033&sr=8-16

riding

« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2009, 05:43:07 PM »
Here's a couple luxury items that are really great to have, especially if you ride alone or ride to your spot on the bike.  With Christmas season upon us, here's a few things to consider as gift ideas.

A good backpack:

Eastpak makes great stuff.  They have a 30 year warranty, so if you get one, you're set.

iPod/mp3 player:

I've tried a grip of cheap ones thinking ipod's were over rated. They're not. There are however a lot of inexpensive players out there now that work well for riding (small size).  Having music is very nice.
frys.com has good deals

durable water bottles:

There's a lot of variety, from lexan to stainless steel. Screw-on lids are best; having a flip or pop top come off in a backpack or car is no fun.

hotel towels:

heh. just kidding. Seriously tho, having a towel in your pack is great for wiping your face or even dusty/dirty/wet tires.

Ibuprofen:

A sore body can rob motivation. Ibuprofen helps with that. Having a bottle that stays in your 'pack is rad. You might even make new friends :)

« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 05:57:02 PM by ujjayi »

Offline Aaron

« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2009, 12:10:52 AM »
i recommend getting a knife so you can cut your friends tires  :wacko: