Author Topic: Beginners - Tools you Need  (Read 94539 times)

Offline Claude

• Backpacker
Beginners - Tools you Need
« on: March 17, 2009, 07:54:04 PM »
OK, I've seen this topic come up several times and i didn't find a good comprehensive thread right away so I thought we could put together all the advice and specifics for:
     1) a beginner ordering a complete bike from FF to...
     2) advanced tools and custom mods that you guys use. 

I will get things started with all the basics I've collected over 20 years of riding flat.

ALLEN SET

I use these almost everytime something gets worked on with my bike

My bike uses both the Metric and SAE for different parts so I went ahead and got both.

CRESCENT WRENCH (ADJUSTABLE)

SOCKET FOR YOUR 3/8 or 14mm axle nuts.

DK TOOL WILL GET YOU THIS FAR - a handy tool to have around for a beginner

WIRE CUTTERS

Go ahead and get good ones that will last.  Unless you never run brakes.

GOOD HIGH PRESSURE PUMP - $35-40

If you flatland you will probably use this every time you go out.  Best $40 I've spent lately.

CHANNEL LOCKS

OK, just looking at this makes me cringe.  I try to NEVER use this.  If it pick it up I know that I'm going to grind and round off a little bit of some bolt somewhere no matter how careful you are.  However, if you have some older parts, an American unsealed BB, or headset nut - sometimes this is just the best thing to use to break it free or get it tight.  If you can spring for the right size 36mm wrenches (below) that is better but this will serve multiple purposes in the long run.

LITHIUM GREASE

This is what I use from WalMart - get Lithium.  But if you notice everyone on here swears by the PHil Woods Grease.

OIL
I use this on my cables when I'm too lazy to pull them out and grease them.  Do NOT use WD-40.

BIG UGLY HAMMER

Enough said.

TIRE LEVERS

After 40 minutes of trying to get one tire on with my bare hands, I broke down and spent the $3.99.

GREASE RAGS

Just go buy a set of 10 from a local store.

CABLE TIES  Again this is more for brakes, but I use them frequently.

CHAIN TOOL

You probably won't use this a ton unless you are switching up sprockets and gears or bikes all the time.  I like mine.

SMALL TACKLE BOX
Keep everything!

TUBES AND CABLES

Two things I always buy more of everytime I order from FlatlandFuel.  It's either $1.99 from Pat or $6 when I need it from my local guy.  Seriously the last jam I went to I got a flat in the first 10minutes of being there and I was thankful for the guys that had a spare tube (thanks Danny).  I swore to always keep spares.  I keep a few extra cables too just in case.

CLEANER

THE BEST!

SPOKE WRENCH
Don't even try this unless you learn how to use it.  But if you learn it can keep your wheels straight for a lifetime.

TOOK KIT = $60
This may be worth it for starting out with nothing.

BIKE STAND
I don't personally have one of these but everyone that does swears by them.  $70-$120

GOOD WORKSPACE

I would also hope that most local shops or local riders would be cool enough to take the time to stop and really teach you how to dismantle and maintain you bike.  It may be worth some time just to come in a shop on a slow day and ask them to show you how they fix things up.  Some basics.  Or ask a local rider to help you.  Sometimes the best way to learn is just to take something apart slowly and put it back together.  Chances are high that you will get it right and learn something in the process.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 05:55:03 AM by David (Toucan) »

Offline diesel1ne

• Cliffhanger
Re: Beginners - Tools you Need
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 07:58:37 PM »
you forgot the most important tool, a properly functioning brain  :P
wait till i get my bike together =D..just wait

Offline lamehead

• Backpacker
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 03:32:22 AM »
This totally needs a sticky.

Should stress to get GOOD cable cutters, I had some I bought from lowes and they were terrible, they always frayed my cables. After I bought a good Park cable cutter I had no more problems.

As for bike stand I always wanted one.. now that I have one I don't use it too much for my BMX bike (I just flip it upside down usually). It helps a ton on a MTB for working on gears though.

Offline subscene

• Backpacker
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 04:29:48 AM »
you forgot the most important tool, a properly functioning brain  :P

+1 rofl..

Offline AK

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 04:37:16 AM »
 That park stand is awesome..I always thought they were kind of dumb but I got one as a gift and its one of the best bike 'tools' I ever got..

What about patch kits? I know someones gonna argue with me but patches never give me a problem as long as there a decent brand and applied correctly..I buy a tube like once every few years haha

Offline mare

• GF Inhabitant
  • tmp®
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2009, 03:16:17 PM »
^ patches r ok.. everyone who says otherwise dont know ho to use them

Offline Luc

• Forkglider
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2009, 05:41:08 PM »
I swear i'm the only one who can get there tires off without tire levers or breaking a sweat. theres a trick to it, I'll try to explain:

1) hold the rim in front of you with both hands.
2)push and up and away from you to create a small "v" shaped space between your tire and rim.
3)roll the tire off your rims with your thumbs.

if step 3 isn't fairly easy, redo step two, I'm well aware it's a rather crappy explanation, it's definetly much easier to just show someone. My brother in law taught me that a few years ago and I can easily remove any tire from my rim. I've never tried a kevlar tire, but I imagine they'd be easier wouldn't it?

sumthinluv

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2009, 07:11:59 PM »
^^^^^^^ yep - khe's kevlar folding tyres are a breeze to put on and off without levers!

my basic kit i take out most days:

- set of allen keys
- patch kit
- mini hand pump (just to get rolling again)
- rachet socket with extension bar
- couple of zip ties
- all wrapped in a rag

Offline eight

• Backpacker
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2009, 08:30:19 PM »
Great topic! Definitely worth a sticky!

Offline David (Toucan)

• Free Speech? Nahhh
  • Team
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2009, 01:04:18 AM »
STICKIED!!!

and this ones not going to the how-to... its staying here.

A bit obsessive, but with all these tools and a little knowledge bike repair is a breeze...

im going to keep this unlocked, but if it grows to a few pages i may just lock it...

KEEP IT ON TOPIC!
Bikes--> Put The Fun Between Your Legs

Offline diesel1ne

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2009, 03:09:22 AM »
buy good queality stuff, i had a chain braker from my local shop, and  like the 3rd time i used it on my chain, it just snapped, i got the topeak chain breaker now, i extremely reccomend the breaker, its just so well designed, thinner than my other one but stronger, not potmetal crap, and it comes with a allen key (for your bike, and the breaker, extra holders so you can hole 2 extra pins, and some handy little thing for mountian bikes that you use to make a portion of the chain loose(chainhook) 16$ U.S.  (TAX=a bitch)
wait till i get my bike together =D..just wait

the beard

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2009, 02:28:23 AM »
A half round file is a great tool to keep pegs maintained; as well as for keeping access to the axle nut open.  If you've ever neglected a peg to the point you can't get a socket in it, this tool will save the day.  The flat side can be used to smooth out rough barends or pegs to make them easier on the hands.

something along the lines of this right here (I'd recommend a slightly courser file than pictured) would be a good choice:

« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 02:30:13 AM by jmk »

Offline Andy Marsh(Mallow)

• Backpacker
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2009, 07:49:09 PM »
The metal hammer is great, but when working with aluminum parts, don't forget to also use a block of wood with it, or you will smash up the aluminum.  Another option is to use a plastic hammer.  The hammer and wood is essential when I take apart my Geisha freecoaster.
being small has it's advantages... :mellow:

NoSweatShop.com" BORDER="0

Offline Kzoh

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2009, 06:36:48 AM »
^or just use a rubber mallet
Flow is Key

danfah1

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2009, 04:43:49 AM »
Thanks and took your advice and got the tools this weekend