Author Topic: you found flat, or flat found you? in other words, how did you start?  (Read 7863 times)

Offline diesel1ne

• Cliffhanger
inspired you to do flatland?, how did you find it? were you looking for a hobby or, you just got it by chance?

for me , my whole intrest in flatland started with this one video

Small | Large

i one day bough a haro, on youtube ofcourse , looked up bmx, happen to find one video, and thats wen it started, thanks to almighty Google.com i found global-flat, and flatland fuel, and my bike is barely a haro anymore, lots of new parts

^ female flatlander- Erin Donato
wait till i get my bike together =D..just wait

Offline tl1982

• Forkglider
Re: you found flat, or flat found you? in other words, how did you start?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 03:45:30 AM »
When I was a teenager the local skating rink would have a skate board and bike night and they would set up ramps on the rink.  off too the side there was the kiddie rink and thats where a couple of guys were riding flatland. Until that day I had no idea that flatland even existed. I had a crapy old diamond back with no pegs or anything but was amazed at flatland and knew I had to try it.  I bought a pair of pegs off of one of the guys and eventually got a gyro for my bike it but it still sucked.  I eventually traded my guitar that I couldnt play for an early 90's haro master frame and built it up with used parts Id gotten from other people.  It was my first true flatland bike.  I've ridden on and off since then.  My longest stretch off was 5 years.  Now that i'm back to riding I wish I never would have taken that break.

Offline oldstreetthrasher

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 05:25:37 AM »
It was back in 1987... I watched this group of Puerto Rican guys bunnyhopping up a 1 1/2' tall curb and I was completely astounded. I had to start riding. Through them, I met a couple of local guys who were a few years older than me who rode flatland (and everything else for that matter), and I just started doing it. I was hooked. We rode constantly for years until they moved away and I ended up quitting flat and riding street primarily, dabbling in flat occasionally. Now I'm 33 and I'm not looking to kill myself riding street, so I'm going to get back into flat more. 22 years and it's not out of my system. I love this sport with all of my being.

Offline Vega5

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 05:30:50 AM »
When I was younger I used to ride all the time. Back then I never really did flat though just street. The first time I ever saw flat was during the X-games, back when they actually had it. I thought it was cool then and started trying some basic tricks but still mostly did street. Then I turned 16 and got a car and made of the worst decisions of my life. I stopped riding. I graduated high school and went on to other things. I even got a pilot's license for a while.

Then about a year ago i saw this video online. I thought it was one of the coolest things I ever seen and am responsible for about half the views it has on youtube now. The vid reminded me of how much I used to love to ride and everyday my desire to get back into riding became stronger till it got the point where I had to get a bike again.

So I got a Stylus this past weekend and have been busting my shins trying to learn some trick again. ;D

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2LTVhqHAdo[/youtube]

Offline subscene

• Backpacker
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2009, 05:52:03 AM »
first time I saw flat is this vid... and I thought it was fake lol and never intended to ride flat I just thought I'd learn a couple EZ tricks on my piece of sh*t walmart bike lol and then I loved it so much that I got a flat bike...  :P
so this vid right here!!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YivhsTsJO_Y[/youtube]
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 05:53:55 AM by EmOfLaT »

Offline Aeons of Flat

• Backpacker
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2009, 06:14:11 AM »
That Erin Donato video and the Simon O'Brien one got my started, My friend happened to have a broken mongoose that I fixed for him and then I just rode everyday :D

Offline AK

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2009, 06:49:45 AM »
 Started trying wheelies ,endos, bunnyhops..just basic bmx

I saw it in magazines, and the movie rad, but its not like I was so impressed by it that it really made me wanna ride flat, it was more like me and some kids were just riding everyday doin anything,and 'tailwhips' (the old flatland one) were like the ultimate trick to us, I buckled down and learned them and that got me HOOKED..

Think I am just more into the relaxing practicing flat alone at night with a walkman feeling

Offline Dion

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2009, 07:08:18 AM »
Back in 1987 I saw a kid named Ira doing cherry pickers out in front of my junior high on a freestyle bike with a crowd of kids around him cheering. Then, he rode off with a gang of kids running after him and he did a bunnyhop to wallride and I was HOOKED.

My first bike was a GHP which I did basic hopping and balance tricks.

In 1992 I quit... and here I am, 17 years later after starting up again last summer.

I've always been a freestyler, and not a flatlander/street rider/park rider... I've come to realize this recently. We didn't separate ourselves BITD like riders do today, so I wonder why should I do it to myself if that's what I grew up on? It took flatland for me to come back to this point and it's riding everything that makes me happy - on one, fully loaded freestyle bike.

It makes me happy to be able to bunnyhop big, feeble grind, wall ride, jump curbs, ride mini ramp, etc. and hit flatland combos all in the same day, all on the same bike.

So, for me, I didn't "find flat"... it was just something I did as part of everyday riding... along with everything else.

Budz

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2009, 07:27:17 AM »
i think i posted an answer to this a bazillion times already...but um...when it comes right down to it...it was just pure FATE. freestyle and i just kinda bumped into each other one day, and its been an almost perfect marriage since. i mean, except for the time i strayed and pursued hardcore partyin, and when i busted my back up and gave up the bike for some years. shyt happens for a reason tho, and now that im back, our marriage has never been better, even tho its almost like were just getting to know one another again. ;)

Offline EZChris

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2009, 01:42:09 PM »
BMX TRIX DOT COM
Proud member of the Spaff Cartel.

Offline mare

• GF Inhabitant
  • tmp®
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2009, 02:35:32 PM »
well when i got ma first wallmart bike, i started to ride street and my brother was constantly bothering me f*ck street try flatland, but my picture about flatland was totaly wrong (always had in mind pogos, endos and all that oldschool sh*t) but when he show me this video i was hooked in a minute
Small | Large

all i can say now is thanx to my brother

Offline MICHELE

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2009, 02:44:58 PM »
I was riding my bike to go to an halfpipe,a truck stopped in front of me and the driver camed down and asked if i was a rider,i said yes i ride a bit of street,then he asked my  phone number to go ride togheter; the next week e comed to my town and showed me some basic flatland trick,from that day i started to ride flat.
i started thanks to bruno.
bruno 6 il numero 1.
If I ever see a flat rider do a hop-to-wallride, my head would explode.

Offline tod miller

• GF Inhabitant
  • ATX Crew, rollin' deep!
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2009, 02:48:17 PM »
Back in 1987 I saw a kid named Ira doing cherry pickers out in front of my junior high on a freestyle bike with a crowd of kids around him cheering. Then, he rode off with a gang of kids running after him and he did a bunnyhop to wallride and I was HOOKED.

My first bike was a GHP which I did basic hopping and balance tricks.

In 1992 I quit... and here I am, 17 years later after starting up again last summer.

I've always been a freestyler, and not a flatlander/street rider/park rider... I've come to realize this recently. We didn't separate ourselves BITD like riders do today, so I wonder why should I do it to myself if that's what I grew up on? It took flatland for me to come back to this point and it's riding everything that makes me happy - on one, fully loaded freestyle bike.

It makes me happy to be able to bunnyhop big, feeble grind, wall ride, jump curbs, ride mini ramp, etc. and hit flatland combos all in the same day, all on the same bike.

So, for me, I didn't "find flat"... it was just something I did as part of everyday riding... along with everything else.

I didn't find flat either...it was all part of riding.  Sometime in 1984 I found a BMX Action magazine at a supermarket, and I remember it had a Mongoose Californian test with some jumping shots.  I think Ron Wilton and RL Osborn(BMX Action Trick Team) were in it doing some flat.  I also saw some older, local riders(Chris Balles, Ruben Castillo) riding around town...and I was hooked!  Wasn't till 1985 that I got my first bike though.  

I dropped the flat part of riding around 1991 and have been riding street this whole time, until I went to a Texas Flatland Roundup contest, and re-discovered flat.  So I have been riding flat again for a few months now.  
"A puppet no more!"

Offline JoeKickass

• Backpacker
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2009, 03:01:31 PM »
Pop surprised me by taking me to some BMX contest he heard about at the bike shop. 

AFA Masters 1986

Not a bad introduction to the world of Freestyle BMX.
"You can ride brakeless with brakes." -- Scott O

Offline Julian Matias

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2009, 05:25:44 PM »
I saw misterpola riding on the street, he thought i was gonna steal his bike lol but since I was with a guy he knew from school he teached me some basic tricks... Now we are best friends and ride everyday...

thank you pola lol.