Author Topic: Odyssey pitbull brakes  (Read 11723 times)

Offline nika

• Cliffhanger
Odyssey pitbull brakes
« on: February 27, 2009, 07:32:24 PM »
Can anyone tell me, does this old beast use the same single hole in the frame that the oldschool caliper used to use?

Anyone have any experience of them? Good, bad? Photos always welcome...

Cheers.
sausages and plants and goldfish

Offline canaryrx8

• Backpacker
  • OG Flat is where it's at!
Re: Odyssey pitbull brakes
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009, 07:48:54 PM »
Yes it does, they are some of my favorite old school brakes and one if not the only center pulls you can run using that "hole", compared to having to buy a 990 adapter plate and rig up some more modern brakes etc. (which is what I did on my 26 year old GT in the vintage bike thread  ;D )

I don't have any pics but you should be able to google some pretty easily.

Offline Claude

• Backpacker
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2009, 07:54:16 PM »

Offline Claude

• Backpacker
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2009, 07:56:10 PM »
Here is a link to some better pics.  Basically you have to hook it up with that router running down the middle and a pulley-type v piece that pulls both arms at once.  Could probably only run it on rear though.

http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?pid=820149

Offline lamehead

• Backpacker
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2009, 09:20:48 PM »
I always had problems with the center pull part of the pittbulls popping out from between the arms. I heard great things about but I always hater them. I LOVE Diacompe Nippon/883 brakes. Best caliper brake I have ever ran. Ran them on the front forever with great gripping power.

Offline lamehead

• Backpacker
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2009, 09:22:49 PM »
WOW! I just saw that they are going for $65 WTF??? They aren't that awesome.. damn I need to dell my old one -- I never really used it.

Offline canaryrx8

• Backpacker
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2009, 09:58:34 PM »
I always had problems with the center pull part of the pittbulls popping out from between the arms. I heard great things about but I always hater them. I LOVE Diacompe Nippon/883 brakes. Best caliper brake I have ever ran. Ran them on the front forever with great gripping power.

yeah, I did have issue with that too,that and routing the cable to them kinda' sucked on older bikes as it would come in from the side and tweak it out a bit. They are a pain to dial but if you can get them working properly they were/are dope, but depending on the frame you could probably do just as well with the 883's or even 901's or some other decent side-pull.

Offline nika

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2009, 10:17:19 PM »
Thanks everso, especially Claude, those pics were exactly what I was looking for. I'd been linked to two other threads on BMX museum during my google but only found front on photos.

I'm kinda torn, sidepulls v pitbulls. I'll sleep on it I reckon.

Thanks for your help guys!

Offline nika

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2009, 02:47:27 AM »
How do these things fit together? Does the arm that holds the cable go between the brake and the frame or does it sit on the other side of the frame to the brake? It's for a rear brake, obviously.

And can you bend the arm with a bit of muscle? I have a feeling it won't fit behind my seatpost, it looks too long.

Offline canaryrx8

• Backpacker
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2009, 04:48:17 AM »
that arm with the little dial thingie fits behind the brake if that's what your talking about, I plan on taking some pics tomorrow, while I'm at it I'll grab some of my pitbulls so you can see better, like a sideview etc.

Offline automaton

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2009, 06:14:18 AM »
I had one of those in 91. It worked pretty good but the bolt that goes through the brake bridge snapped in half. No big deal. You can always go to any hardware store and buy another bolt. Still, I had side pulls that worked just as good. The ACS Boa was my favorite sidepull along with the Dia Compe Nippon. You can't go wrong with either of those two.

Offline canaryrx8

• Backpacker
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2009, 07:20:10 AM »
Yep, the Nippons, and the 901's were my fave sidepulls, a;lways liked the shape of the 901's, reminded me of road bike brakes for some reason. So I took some pics of these on my desk slash workbench, hopefully this gives you an idea of how they work and how they're assembled etc. If you have any requests pic wise let me know and I'll hook you up.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 07:35:24 AM by canaryrx8 »

Offline nika

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2009, 01:52:28 PM »
Thanks Randall, most helpful indeed!

I'm coming to the conclusion that these pitbulls won't actually fit on my bike, I think sidepulls are the way ahead for me.

Thanks for everyone's help, you've saved me 24 quid  ;D