Author Topic: crappy vs. good freecoaster  (Read 9725 times)

Offline lieve

• Forkglider
crappy vs. good freecoaster
« on: February 24, 2009, 10:45:17 PM »
So, I have a question... I'd like to know more about how big the difference is between a crappy and a good freecoaster. Yeah, I know, might seem a bit stupid, because, well, off course it's not easy to describe the difference.
But... other flatlanders are nowhere to be found where I live, so there's no one around that can tell me anything about parts and stuff, and no other bike setups to try, so the only information I can get is from reading on the internet. And from you guys, I hope. So here goes...

I recently upgraded from a beginner's street bike to a KHE Militant LT. Really happy with the bike in general. Riding with a freecoaster (the Taska one that came with the complete) was awkward at first (blue knees on the first day off course), but I 'kinda' got used to it now.
But... I still don't like it.  At all. It has lots of slack (almost 1/2 of a turn), and how much slack it has is not really consistent, plus, the pedals still go backwards often while rolling backwards, which happens at random.
But well, since I have nothing to compare my experience to, maybe it isn't so bad as it feels to me, maybe it's all about really getting used to it. Or, the other hand, maybe I am riding a f*cked up freecoaster and it will be a really big difference if I get me a new, better one. I haven't got the slightest idea! (Damn, I should find myself some experienced flatlanders somewhere to simply ask these questions and try their bikes for a sec!)

Since some of you surely have upgraded from something like a Taska to a decent freecoaster in the past, my question is if anyone can describe the difference, or help me with deciding wether a better freecoaster is worth the money for a beginner like me... Thanks!
waiting for spring to happen...

Offline pawnshopmike

• Cliffhanger
    • http://www.ebay.com/sch/pawnshopmike/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1
Re: crappy vs. good freecoaster
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 12:01:44 AM »
You can feel the difference the minute you get on your bike. The best way I can describe it is that your bike will feel more solid all the way around. I'm sure some of the more experienced riders can give you a better reply.

Offline Mike Dood

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 12:05:39 AM »
See a crappy freecoaster doesn't work right and the pedals engage...ghost pedals...isn't reliable.... and a good freecoaster doesn't do that. :)

I've ran Nankai and Geisha and both worked very well for me. I like the Geisha (Federal) a lil' better personally.

Offline Rien

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 01:13:52 AM »
For flatlanders in Belgium--> ask Levi
He is from Ghent and moderates the how to thread.
Maybe it's possible to test the bikes from the guys in Ghent.

i myself still rides the Taska unsealed and it works for me (didn't have anything else, so I can't tell  the difference) i thought you could change the amount of slack. for the back pedal problem --> make sure your chain is tight and engage your freecoaster before a trick by pedalling a little backwards. This should help.

http://www.wtlw.net/ff/taska/taska.html
some taska freecoaster help...

peace

Offline sackley85

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2009, 01:51:23 AM »
I've been riding the stock taska on the opsis and finally got it set up to where it feels pretty good.

Just follow that link and make sure the cone nut is in the perfect position (literally w/ in what felt like 1/20th of a turn it can go from a loose sloppy hub to a decently rolling freecoaster). Too loose and the hub will be wobbly, too tight and it won't spin that well. Using a vice is essential, it makes it soooo much easier to check how the wheel spins while still being able to adjust the cone/locknut.

Just take it apart, wipe up all the crap-grease they put in at the factory (black auto grease), and fill up with bike grease on all the bearings and moving parts.

Then when you mount it just make sure the chain isn't too tight/loose and disengage the clutch by  back pedaling about 1/4 or 1/2 a crank.

As for your slack- don't know what to say. Mine came with about 1/6th of a rotation slack, and it's kind of stayed that way, and I haven't felt compelled to investigate or change that.

Any way you go, good luck! Good to see you're riding!

Offline Dion

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2009, 02:01:41 AM »
See a crappy freecoaster doesn't work right and the pedals engage...ghost pedals...isn't reliable.... and a good freecoaster doesn't do that. :)

I've ran Nankai and Geisha and both worked very well for me. I like the Geisha (Federal) a lil' better personally.

I have the cheap Taska on my Dyno (wheels are from my old Stylus) and compared to my Nankai, it's like night and day - even more different than that! I hate cheap freecoasters... after a handful of rebuilds, cleans, and re-greasing, my cheap freecoaster still sucks - the wheel doesn't spin, the cranks catch... it just SUCKS.

I've never touched my Nankai and don't intend to. It's like *set-it and forget it.*

Offline lieve

• Forkglider
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2009, 08:57:43 PM »
Thanks for all your answers. Every opinion helps in forming mine!

@pawnshopmike: that 'solid feeling' is indeed what I'd like to have, and what I have been missing since I have my new bike, but I couldn't put my finger on it why it felt that way, maybe because of the random & lots of slack, or maybe just because of me not being used to a smaller, lighter, more responsive bike...

Another small question: when I ride my bike (forward, that is), and I pedal backwards, my pedals 'get stuck' after a round or two. Normal? Totally not?

Anyway, this weekend I'll try some more adjusting, maybe I'll take the whole thing apart and back together (hopefully), we'll see, it might just help...

Offline Kuroki_Kaze

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2009, 09:15:40 PM »
Anyway, this weekend I'll try some more adjusting, maybe I'll take the whole thing apart and back together (hopefully), we'll see, it might just help...
da zal de beste oplossing zijn :p
i ride a taska ufree  and am very happy
greetz
One who not tries not fails,one who not fails not learns,one who not learns not tries

Offline Rien

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2009, 10:30:19 PM »
greetz

Vet nie vergeten!!!

peace

Offline Ultraman Zoffy

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2009, 09:34:18 AM »
greetz

For the price and performance, the Taska Ufree is indeed the bomb... I love mine, especially knowing how much money I saved by not going with one of the other sealed coasters out there.

Offline tafkat

• GF Inhabitant
    • Jon Lavigne Dot com
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2009, 06:51:27 PM »
I've never touched my Nankai and don't intend to. It's like *set-it and forget it.*

Disagree. Mine keeps losing its adjustment, and I have a continual problem with ghost pedaling that nothing has been able to fix.

That said, I've been using the same one since 2004. It doesn't suck or anything, but it's annoying and I really wish I could afford to get a new set of wheels. My wheels are seven pounds EACH. totally screws up buying all the other lightweight parts.

Offline kingofauzi

• Forkglider
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2009, 08:03:53 PM »

Disagree. Mine keeps losing its adjustment, and I have a continual problem with ghost pedaling that nothing has been able to fix.

That said, I've been using the same one since 2004. It doesn't suck or anything, but it's annoying and I really wish I could afford to get a new set of wheels. My wheels are seven pounds EACH. totally screws up buying all the other lightweight parts.
Open it, grease it with good grease, check your bearings (i'm sure one of them isn't working really well, that's what happend to me with my Geisha (sometimes there was  ghost pedaling), i changed the faulty bearing (there was something in it (even it's if a sealed bearing) that was rubing in) and now everything is fine again :)).

With a good sealed-bearing freecoaster maintenance is really simple (if you ride a lot or under the rain grease it every 3 months (disassemble it, clean it, check bearings, grease everyting and remount it), if you ride only under the sun or indoor grease it 2 times by year and it will work perfectly =).

Personnaly I'm really happy with my Geisha, it's light, strong, good looking, don't made any noise, rolling forever and is nearly maintenance-less (so i can pass more time to ride than to maintain or set it).

That's one of the reason that made me bought a 700 € bike instead of a 400 one (the KHE Equilibrium instead of the Militant LT), even if i'm a begginer it's always nicer to have a light and strong bike, with a good look (and i'll don't have anything to change in future, just cleaning and maintenance).

@ ++

Offline lieve

• Forkglider
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2009, 12:34:06 AM »

greetz

Vet nie vergeten!!!

peace
[/quote]

hah, leuke ontdekking dat er ergens in België toch nog mensen zijn die hun wenkbrauwen niet fronsen bij het horen van het woord 'flatland' !

For the price and performance, the Taska Ufree is indeed the bomb... I love mine, especially knowing how much money I saved by not going with one of the other sealed coasters out there.

Hm, Ufree, another option... anyone that can compare it to the Taska on the completes?

Damn, taking apart a freecoaster for the first time freaks me out a bit! Hopefully it will live after I messed with it... well, you live, you learn...

Offline Levi

• Team
  • Cliffhanger
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2009, 12:24:44 PM »

greetz

Vet nie vergeten!!!

peace

hah, leuke ontdekking dat er ergens in België toch nog mensen zijn die hun wenkbrauwen niet fronsen bij het horen van het woord 'flatland' !

Hm, Ufree, another option... anyone that can compare it to the Taska on the completes?

Damn, taking apart a freecoaster for the first time freaks me out a bit! Hopefully it will live after I messed with it... well, you live, you learn...

[/quote]
world of difference. like comparing apples and ... midgets  ;D
If  you have the chance you should pass by ghent.
some guys have geisha's, some have the Ufree or ares coaster and at least one has a nankai.
pretty sure they'd all be more then happy to let you ride their bikes and share some thoughts on coasters.

Offline Mike Dood

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2009, 03:21:10 PM »
  I been running my Federal FC over a year now.  I greased it out of the box, laced it up and been riding it ever since. I have not touched the FC or had any problems at all with it.  It never ghost pedals, engages or disengages improperly.  Not once no lie. I could take a bit of slack out that's the worst I can say. And even that's just a washer.

My nankais worked well but they needed a bit more care in my expereiences.