Author Topic: Cruiser Flatland  (Read 2066 times)

Offline cruiser_flatland

• Funky Chicken
  • rolling on twentysix
Cruiser Flatland
« on: July 10, 2005, 10:56:42 PM »
I've decided to begin flatland again after a very, very long retirement.

Here's the story: 2 years ago I bought 2 beach cruisers for myself and my girlfriend and thought that they were "the sh*t." Last year, Girlfriend leaves and I have leftover bike. Late last year I return from Italy Austria, and Germany where I watch some serious Flatlanders. So, I take girlfriend's old cruiser and put pegs on her. (the bike--not the girlfriend)

Bust a few tricks and Voila!! Here I am today: http://www.w6qi9.com/b2/

Here's a pic of me in Acheres. (Ilan is the guy without the bright socks)

http://www.global-flat.com/media/photos/pi...005_0508_093202

When I rode, you could learn a cyclone in a couple of days. Today, flatland has changed a whole bunch, but props to the new school who revitalized this sport and created such a difficult challenge.

Simon Marsan showing me a Hitchhiker (can't do 'em yet) http://cf.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/bigdjeezu...943.jpg&.src=ph

Peace. D.
There is only one way to success--to be able to challenge yourself and spend your life your own way.

Offline Martin

• Administrator
  • GF Inhabitant
Cruiser Flatland
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2005, 11:09:34 PM »
hi

and you can ride flatland with such a big bike ? ;)

must be difficult ..

Cruiser Flatland
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2005, 01:42:01 AM »
Yeah, I find the most difficult part is the weight. It's a Hi-ten frame and it can get a little heavy trying to whip it around.

I'm totally used to the wheel size now, so that's no difference. I think the biggest challenge is learning all the new stuff. I'll never be no Yanmar, but it's about getting on your bike and riding. The results will come from the effort.

I've only been riding for about 3 months, so I find learning trick(s) is modular or sequential process. It's really hard to bullsh*t a trick [or a link] without actually having some of the basic fundamentals mastered.

I guess right now I'm going through the process of trying to pull Karl Kruisers and 1 handed steamrollers before I can get totally crazy. I'll say that finding a "rolling groove" (a point where the bike seems to float while rolling) is close to the 2nd decent on a rollercoaster--where you've accustomed yourself to the 1st decent and now it's total enjoyment.

Why do I ride? I think it's like I'm trying to get a headstart waiting to see what happens to BMX after 2008 in Beijing, China. I believe in 2009 flatland could change it's course and become something of an "opened gift." I guess the future just depends on how today's riders accept their roles and where they want to take it. I heard there are 8000 flatlanders in the world today. So, it's become like a family. I've been away for awhile, so I'm waiting to see the direction of the sport dynamics--some good and some bad.

Offline jed

• Funky Chicken
Cruiser Flatland
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2005, 01:23:29 AM »
yo what's up? I'm the dude who was busting time machines on your cruiser in Edmonton.