Author Topic: Nankai puzzle  (Read 3590 times)

Offline stylistic007

Nankai puzzle
« on: February 10, 2009, 12:36:02 AM »
So I took my nankai appart and dont know where this ring goes.....anybody help?

Offline Peter Hollinger

• GF Inhabitant
Re: Nankai puzzle
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 12:45:43 AM »
Looks to me like the spring clip off the driver dust cover.

Lift the driver up and look on the backside (where is screws into the clutch) That clip should snap in under the dustcover to hold it in place. That could be tricky and cause a lot of swearing.

Best bet is to just rip the dust cover off. No big deal, if you had a profile shell you'd have to do that anyway.

Offline stylistic007

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 01:15:15 AM »
Its not that clip.  I have that ring inside the "dust" cover on the left side.....what I do know is that it goes on the driver side (right).  Just not sure if it goes between the cone and driver or driver and bearings......the latter just doesnt seem right.

Offline PSchoolen

• Company
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 01:30:56 AM »
that goes between the driver and the driver's bearing cone. It works as a spacer. It looks like a clip (and may well be) but it not used as a clip.
Patrick Schoolen
www.flatlandfuel.com

Offline stylistic007

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 01:35:26 AM »
Thank you

Offline Zion Bike Co.

• Company
  • Hitchhiker
    • www.zionbmx.com
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2009, 12:40:51 PM »
hey, this could help you

...riding on the road to Zion...

Offline The End

• Backpacker
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2009, 05:38:09 PM »
Is the steel shelled Nankai Bamboo 14mm hub supposed to have that little spacer too? I've got a 9 tooth driver, but recalling back, it seemed to lack it when I took it apart the last time I was at home. I'll have a check again this coming friday when I'm next home. 

Offline The End

• Backpacker
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2009, 07:25:50 PM »
Had a thought; I remember that instead of that little silver ring being there, I instead have a rubber O-ring for some reason. Mine's the Steel Bamboo, just a reminder. Is there a good reason reason why Seņor Nankai modified this to be a metal ring instead of a rubber O-ring?  Unless, my Steel Bamboo is meant to have this metal ring, and it wasn't inside?

To stylistic007, just to confirm, is your hub the new Aluminium Bamboo that Pat just started stocking?

Offline out~riding

• Global Team
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2009, 07:39:20 PM »
I don't know about the steel Bamboo but the Aluminum Bamboo does have that ring as seen here:

Offline stylistic007

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2009, 10:07:40 PM »
Its the technolight I guess steel one, not the alluminum one.

Another question:

So I decided to take the large ball bearing cage out and follow the balsy nankai mod in the how to section.  It mentions that 17 or something like that ball bearings can fit.  Now if you take the cage and count the ball bearings + the spaces between the bearings it is 17, however I can only fit 15 bearings and as a result have a space about the width of half a bearing.  When I go to spin the hub its not as smooth as befor.  Am I right with only having 15 bearings?

The first pic is of the cage and bearings how they naturally sit and the second is the mod pic.  Notice the gap at the top?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 10:26:06 PM by stylistic007 »