Author Topic: Bad Ankles?  (Read 4211 times)

Offline The Brown Sound

• GF Inhabitant
Bad Ankles?
« on: January 28, 2009, 12:29:08 PM »
Alrighty - I haven't been doing as much riding as I should due to winter. w/o getting into details I'm a lil overweight and working on that. I have horribly flat feet. w/o the obligatory go to the doctor statement, here's my situation -

My ankles KILL when i felx my foot upward. It almost feels like if you weight lifted and your tendons (not the muscle) are sore. It only gets sore when I stretch or roll my ankle in the up direction. It happes at the top outside portion of my ankle. If the direct top was 12 o'clock, it'd happen btwn 1-2 o'clock. Is it most likely tendonitis? I'm just trying to get a better understanding and could it be from being overweight or a combination of flat feet and overweight or? Thanks for any input -

R. //
I'm like the brown LL Cool J.

Offline Hugo @ Portugal

• GF Inhabitant
    • FlatlandPT
Re: Bad Ankles?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 01:35:18 PM »
I know what that is, I had the same exact type of pain on my Aquilles tendon for practicing scuffing on turbine Hang5's.

I didn't do anything to get it healed, I just withstanded the pain when I wasnt riding. It lasted wuite a while but I don't feel it anymore.

Offline The Brown Sound

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2009, 02:52:31 PM »
Yeppers. That's exactly why I was asking. I didn't know if like in weightlifting, your body adapts to the pain. The weird part is like I said - I doubt it's from riding w the lil amount I've been doing. thx Hugo =)
I'm like the brown LL Cool J.

Offline Dion

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2009, 06:01:01 PM »
Get proper shoes.

It took me a little bit to find the right shoe, because I have foot pain when my foot flexes down. It's gotten better the more I ride, but the shoe that works perfect for my wide feet are GLOBE shoes.

I've realized, however, that a high-top shoe may be necessary for me, given that I twisted my ankle bad this weekend on a hitchhiker bail. Everything is low-top these days.

Offline Hugo @ Portugal

• GF Inhabitant
    • FlatlandPT
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2009, 06:37:34 PM »
I don't know if you're right beacause I wear 15€ shoes which btw I need to get a new pair soon, and I barely twist my ankles or anything like that. It does happen but it's rare.

Still about the pain, I don't know if my body got used to it, what I know is that it looked like my tendon was inflamated or damaged in some way, and the feeling was very much like a sprained ankle, everytime I'd try to pinch my fingers on a downard movement that thing would "scream" like hell, seriously painful for a couple of weeks.

I guess it was due to the repetitive movement of trying the same trick over & over.

Now that its healed and that I'm not hardcore trying it for 2 hours in a row, its all good.
It may comeback on differente tricks with the same hardcore approach on training repeatedly.

Offline lamehead

• Backpacker
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2009, 09:10:05 PM »
What kinda shoes are you wearing? I would suggest some mid/hi-top shoes with a stiff sole (no gum).

Lacing your shoes help too. I have seen multiple people complain of ankle problems --- then I look down at their shoes and they are wearing unlaced lowtops...

Offline mare

• GF Inhabitant
  • tmp®
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2009, 09:18:13 PM »
good point lamehead  :beer:

Offline condemned bmx

• Deathtrucker
  • yo
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2009, 09:26:22 PM »
tried ankle brase's?
slater

Offline flatlandpercy

• Backpacker
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2009, 08:58:44 AM »
you gotta try strecthing that chit before, during, and
after your seshes/  it happens when I don't ride for
more than like 2 days and I start riding, i'm not
adapted yet, so i rip chit, but to fix the achilles
problem, go into the bathtub with the water empty,
naked, of course, so you can't slip.  then lay down
on your back, with your back hunch/neck on the back
of the tub and your ankle that hurts sideways against
the front, then with your other leg, push down on
your achilles tendon until you hear a real loud snap.
it completely get's rid of all the pain.  it's kind of
brought to my attention by a martial artist who get's
pain there too.  let me post a photo, it works so good,
just make sure your not pressing your foot on the fau-
cet or drain cuz it'll break off, that's alot of pressure
your putting on it.
mmm i couldn't get a pic, but it's basically as if somebody
was pushing up on the front bottom of your foot with 500
pounds of force, causing your foot to bend upward and
crack.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 09:03:28 AM by flatlandpercy »

Offline tafkat

• GF Inhabitant
    • Jon Lavigne Dot com
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2009, 07:19:14 PM »
I got an ankle brace (one of the lace-up ones) for when the one that I broke a couple years ago acts up, but I never use it because it cuts off my circulation when I try to put a shoe on. I actually missed something like two months of riding this year specifically because I ended up rolling both ankles on one day. My next pair of riding shoes will most likely be a pair of the old school reissue basketball shoes or something like that, high tops that give a bit of ankle support.

I can't imagine what your pain is about, but I do get something similar from standing on the same peg with the same foot forever.

Offline ido rosen

• Hitchhiker
  • Flatland the Country
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2018, 11:05:00 AM »
Everything you people said here sounds right.
I would like to add that taking some air out will help a lot, it helped me with wrist pain while riding.
try taking 10 psi less, it won't affect your riding too much and will be better for your body.
if you can take more than 10 psi less that will be better, see how much psi you can take less and still like how your bike is riding.
i think that if you want to ride for many years it will be very harder with rocks instead of tires  :D 
Meditate Flatland