Author Topic: Sam Foakes Zion frame?  (Read 2365 times)

TJ Perry

Sam Foakes Zion frame?
« on: January 25, 2009, 11:16:57 PM »
Is there any release date for this? I remember reading that he was picked up by Zion shortly after Keelan and saw they were releasing a 19.something top tube frame. Tickle me intrigued.

Offline ivan-flaterOS

• Hitchhiker
  • Sonic!!!
Re: Sam Foakes Zion frame?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 09:52:19 AM »
I believe the prototypes are curently in production,and should be finished by March but I dont know the release date yet...The frame is called Focus(19.1" TT) and It will be a bit heavier then usual frames...Sam likes it that way ;D

Offline Zion Bike Co.

• Company
  • Hitchhiker
    • www.zionbmx.com
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 10:38:21 AM »
hahaha...I can't believe that you just remembered that frame, that is weird...cause it has just been finished this Friday, hehe.

So, here are the news. 
Sam Foakes signature frame prototypes for Zion Bike Co. are finished, but you will have to wait one more week before you see the first photos of it.
Reason for this is really stupid, hehe. All prototype frames were welded few days ago and are waiting to be painted. BUT, today is Chinese New Year and in Taiwan they have holidays until February 2nd, so factories don't work for next 7 days.

I'm as eager to see it finished as you are, can't wait.

So for next seven days this is all the info that you can have about Sam's frame, which he decided to call FOCUS :

TT length :  19.22"
CS length :  12.75"
HT angle :  74.5 degrees
ST angle :  70 degrees

- 14mm laser cut droupouts
- Spanish BB
- Integrated headset

I will tell you the final weight of it after painting. 

We made these prototypes in 3 different tube thickness versions so there will be 3 different weights of it. Sam really uses the weight of the frame (bike) in his tricks so he will test different frame weights to see which one suits him best.

Other news are that Sam recently moved from his home town Cambridge to Manchester cause he got a great new job there and the best thing about this is that he found a great indoor place where he can ride.
All of are familiar with English weather so you know what indoor place will mean to him, even though he is known for riding all his trick in heavy rain, hehe.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 10:40:32 AM by luna3k »
...riding on the road to Zion...

Offline Hugo @ Portugal

• GF Inhabitant
    • FlatlandPT
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 11:34:42 AM »
That is nice, I liked the mentality that you just described, hope it's a simple design though.

TJ Perry

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2009, 03:26:41 AM »
Why 14 millimeter dropouts? most street frames don't even have that.

Why did you go and do this?

Offline Zion Bike Co.

• Company
  • Hitchhiker
    • www.zionbmx.com
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2009, 09:41:40 AM »
Because it is a signature frame and that is the way Sam wants it.

Whole Focus frame is designed to focus on strength and durance not this lightweight frame fashion, so 14mm dropouts fit that image just right.

And then again you have new Nankai freecoasters and 14mm version is even lighter then 3/8 version. So there is no difference if you ride 14mm or 3/8 , except 14mm axle is stronger.

Why are you so surprised?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 09:43:23 AM by luna3k »
...riding on the road to Zion...

Offline mare

• GF Inhabitant
  • tmp®
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2009, 03:32:14 PM »
can`t wait to see it

byke

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2009, 03:42:57 PM »