Author Topic: Pinky squeaks  (Read 8882 times)

Offline lamehead

• Backpacker
Pinky squeaks
« on: January 22, 2009, 04:50:51 AM »
I have been working on Pinky squeaks for the last two weeks an I finally hit a double. I had the stereo on random and a loud ass punk song came on and I was thinking about turning the volume down when all of a sudden I just landed a double.  :ph34r:

I still can't do them consistent but hopefully I will with more practice. Then comes multiples. Not a ground breaking trick but I always wanted to do them since I was little (I am 26 - better later than never).

TJ Perry

Re: Pinky squeaks
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2009, 07:45:07 AM »
The trick is to not "jump" over the frame as it comes around, but rather step over one foot at a time quickly until you can build a steady rhythm. Then you can do them all day long  :mellow:

Offline AK

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009, 09:23:13 AM »
 I worked forever on the tailwhip style ones,then hit 2 suddenly,and within a week I was doin a sh*tload in a row..Good times!! Once you do 2 your set

Offline lamehead

• Backpacker
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2009, 08:54:41 PM »
I'm hoping after 2 I'm set :D

I am doing them from the tail whip way. I think I'm doing them the "harder" way because when the frame comes around it comes toward my peg foot first and my scuffing foot is 2nd. Just gotta get the rhythm figured out.

Offline Stereolab

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2009, 09:00:04 PM »
I'm hoping after 2 I'm set :D

I am doing them from the tail whip way. I think I'm doing them the "harder" way because when the frame comes around it comes toward my peg foot first and my scuffing foot is 2nd. Just gotta get the rhythm figured out.

That's the only way that is pinky squeaks IMHO.  The other way is firehydrants/firewhips/whatever

Offline AK

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2009, 09:05:25 PM »
 Yeah I learned the tailwhip way first too..Spent a few months trying them then one day I just suddenly did two, by the end of the week I was doing like 10.Was so fun.I think tailwhips are easier then the firehydrant version too imo..good luck..

Offline GRFN.FLAT.

• Deathtrucker
  • that's some scooby-snacks right thurr
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2009, 01:08:52 AM »
The trick is to not "jump" over the frame as it comes around, but rather step over one foot at a time quickly until you can build a steady rhythm. Then you can do them all day long  :mellow:

i still can't do them, (i can only fire hydrant 2-3 out of 5 times, i'm really inconsistent because of winter interfering with my ability to ride more than 2 times a week.), but i always figured the trick was to fire hydrant, then step over the top tube onto the tire, then step up off the foot that's on the peg and let the frame swing under it.

Offline lamehead

• Backpacker
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2009, 03:49:13 AM »
Yeah i think I do them "backwards" meaning I have to step over with my peg leg first. I have seen a video of someone rocking them out "backwards" though ... so i figure what they hell... it will make opposite ones easier...

Offline Stereolab

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2009, 04:52:47 AM »

i still can't do them, (i can only fire hydrant 2-3 out of 5 times, i'm really inconsistent because of winter interfering with my ability to ride more than 2 times a week.), but i always figured the trick was to fire hydrant, then step over the top tube onto the tire, then step up off the foot that's on the peg and let the frame swing under it.

Those aren't pinky squeaks, they're firehydrant whips.

What lamehead is describing is not "backwards", it's a regular pinky squeak.

Offline lamehead

• Backpacker
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2009, 05:51:01 AM »
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yC0VKMn3HJg[/youtube]

^ From what I thought I thought this was the "easier" way... frame comes to scuffing foot 1st

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XCXxd_bzOo[/youtube]

^ How I'm doing mine (loud music :| ).. Frame comes toward peg foot 1st. Don't know if there is a "correct"/traditional way.

Offline Stereolab

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2009, 05:56:20 AM »
Don't know if there is a "correct"/traditional way.

The first video is firehydrant whips (see how he started from a firehydrant?), the second is pinky squeaks, and that is all I am going to say about this  :)

Offline bhuffman

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2009, 02:35:45 PM »
K - come ride with us sometime!
You look like Marty McFly!

Offline holyshxt

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2009, 04:20:04 PM »

The first video is firehydrant whips (see how he started from a firehydrant?), the second is pinky squeaks, and that is all I am going to say about this  :)

Why wouldnt they both be pinky squeaks? It shouldnt matter how you start the trick, they both consisted of tailwhips while scuffing in reverse. just my .02 cents
The Flight Instructor

Offline tafkat

• GF Inhabitant
    • Jon Lavigne Dot com
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2009, 05:34:25 PM »

Why wouldnt they both be pinky squeaks? It shouldnt matter how you start the trick, they both consisted of tailwhips while scuffing in reverse. just my .02 cents

because pinky squeaks are one way, and fire hydrant whips are the other way. and you're not scuffing at all.  :P

Offline Ultraman Zoffy

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2009, 07:09:34 PM »
As a '"Paul Osicka/Andrew Faris"-era influenced rider, lord knows I love pinky squeaks. Way back when I learned them, the best advice I ever got was from Shawn Burnham (who I always sort of credit as the guy who taught me them =). He told me to imagine the whole trick as one of those circus acts when a bear is balancing on top of a ball while rolling around... don't know why, but after that it all just clicked. It's also very much a rhythm-oriented trick; once you learn the timing (and how to step over, like TJ said...), you'll be knocking out multiples at will. I have topped out at 18, and usually just get either bored or tired at that point... definitely a spectator friendly trick though  ;D