Author Topic: Interview: Andy Zeiss about the upcoming COB  (Read 18262 times)

Offline Mr News Bot

• Robot
  • GF Inhabitant
    • global-flat
Interview: Andy Zeiss about the upcoming COB
« on: January 17, 2007, 01:54:00 PM »
Andy Zeiss is organizing the Circle of Balance 3 in Tokio, Japan. Since there were already a lot of discussions about this COB we decided to ask Andy a few questions.

Q: Please introduce yourself. Name, Age, Location ..

Andy Zeiss, 32 year old, meat eating, alcohol drinking, ball headed, unshaved, tattooed but non-smoking dude from Cologne in Germany.

Q: People were wondering why top riders like Justin Miller or Matthias Dandois are not invited to the COB. How have the riders been choosen ? Why have you choosen exactly those 18 riders ?

Yeah I can imagine that people are discussing this issue quite hard - hahaha! There are tons of statements and pages on this case in the global flat forum. I dont know why people... Click here to read the whole interview

Offline Andras

• Backpacker
    • http://www.original-gypsy.com
Re: Interview: Andy Zeiss about the upcoming COB
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2007, 02:04:24 PM »
Oh yes, we are all so different..  :P

I think Andy is a great guy, but his statement and explanation did not make me feel so satisfied.

There is no justice in the flatland world, because there will not be a single flatland contest where everybody will be satisfied either with the invited riders list or the final placings. Or am I wrong?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2007, 02:08:56 PM by Andras »

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2007, 03:32:50 PM »
First of all, I want to give Andy props for developing a contest series that has such a great vibe.

In my opinion it is arguably the best contest in flatland today. One of the main reasons I feel that way is that it is invitation only.

Invitation only is the way to go for the future of the sport. As it keeps the group small and more importantly. The "best" riders are invited.

Kind of a "finals" like the old days, based on your points collected during the year.

By winning a spot in the contest it is a testament to a riders dedication, skill, and talent level.

I may not agree with leaving Justin out, but it wasn't my choice. If I could do better, then I'd start my own contest series... But, that ain't happening.

I did have an idea though.

For next year, the COB group could pick the first 15 riders, and then let the public pick the final three selections.

Then we wouldn't have anything to complain about...

Well, I'm sure we could come up with something else  :wacko:

gm

Offline Manuel Bernardo @ Wuppertal

• GF Inhabitant
  • pegs, beer and rock'n roll...
    • born-to-bmx.de
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2007, 03:37:15 PM »
andy is a nice chap and if one of you runs him times over that away, he will notice in addition makes it... he a good job for us more bmxer :beer:

Offline blind

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2007, 05:19:34 PM »
if they wanted ppl with "character" why is jeff d not riding again?and justin should get sponcered by red bull.
other then that who is everyone putting there money on......martti?

Offline B-random Fantom

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2007, 05:25:27 PM »
ugh...that was the weakest explanation I've ever heard. And the machine reference is pretty much a straight dig at Justin. It's one thing to say you respect someone and another to prove it. All he is proving is that he lied and in fact doesn't respect him.

"But I also know that freedom is also to see it from another angle." --Andy

Me -- then why not listen to the people of the 'sport' o' dictator of fortunes?

I'm not saying the list isn't good, but there are a couple of names missing from the list. It's just so frustrating to see someone who works so hard (Justin) and loves riding so much (and not only to win either), get screwed over because of flatland politics; and everyone knows that is all that this is about. It's really quite shameful.

Here's a prediction to show you what I mean. Matt Wilhelm (arguably another american killer machine) will be knocked out in the early rounds regardless of having flawless runs and less than flawless competition. This will happen as it has in the past because he is just being used as window dressing and not fairly assessed because (insert your preferred bias here).

And don't just start blindly hating on me for being critical; maybe there are positives for 'the sport' by holding such a contest but that doesn't mean that the B.S. should be ignored. The Truth is the Truth.

"Flatland is going to win!!! It´s for the sport and to credit it!!!" -Andy

Me--No 'flatland' lost a little something more today but I'm sure you'll collect your paycheck at the end of the comp regardless.

p.s. global-flat isn't a "public back-door" it's an open community of flatlanders. and if you think that you know so much about the flatland 'lifestyle' then maybe you'd be keen to recognize this place. Maybe it's not about "not having the balls" to contact you, but you not having the 'balls' to respond to the people in an open forum where your biases can be called out publicly. Maybe you are a nice guy, and maybe you aren't doing this for the paycheck, but for a lot of people that won't change that fact that you selected against several top riders with 'no good' reason.  
Enough! I grow weary of your foolishness ninjas.

Offline JFos

• GF Inhabitant
    • www.myspace/richardmccoy.com
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2007, 06:13:30 PM »
yup..apparantly Justin is not the epitome "expression of character, state of mind, personalitiy, creativity, hart, soul, edgyness, dedication, uniqueness, freedom, freestyle, etc. right?"

yeah Justin isnt edgy dedicated unique or cant freestyle...and doesnt undestand freedom. EXpresson of charactor perhaps means circling other riders while taunting them during their run..while they arent doing that to you..

I realy dont like that oh so informative explanation. He shouldnt have said anything at all..or maybe the explanation was lost in the translation.

but the question mark after all those listed words explains a good bit to!

"I am confidentaly 100% right...right?"

Then he cant even understand why people were discussing it?

He might be nice but hes coming off like an idiot....he better act like its a serious issue instead of just some limited group of online people that isnt even worthy of an explanation..

he needs Tony Snow.

Schramm’s Law: “The single most important contributor to a nation’s economic growth is the number of startups that grow to a billion dollars in revenue within 20 years.”

TJ Perry

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2007, 06:16:39 PM »
"But in the end of the day he rides couple of years now but still need to learn much more on the lifestyle of flatland and needs to earn more credit. He was there to fast where is he is now."

Does he have to wash the bullsh*t out of his mouth ten times a day? What f*cking flatland "lifestyle" is he referring to?

The last time I checked flatland lifestyle was a really poor impoverished one where the majority of riders are barely getting by in their day to day lives riding full time and progressing at the expensive of their own personal financial success. If anything he should have invited the poorest f*cking riders on the face of the planet and had them battle for the cash because they need it a lot more than a bunch of guys who "rep the sport" at every contest doing the same things over and over.

What a crock of sh*t.

planck

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2007, 06:18:45 PM »
ugh...that was the weakest explanation I've ever heard.

Props to Andy for the things he has undoubtedly done for Flatland, but I couldn't agree more with what you just said Brandon.

Andy says :-

It´s one thing being a contest mashine, "training" all day long with the only aim to win comps, but that´s not what flatland is all about. You have to feel it, live it, suck it up, etc.

I'd suggest that if you're riding* all day long (every day) then you have no choice but to 'feel', 'live' and 'suck up' flatland and there's nothing wrong with wanting to compete either, which is what I feel is implied by this contest machine jibe. Hell, you could argue Martti showed a lot of 'gamemanship' when he battled Justin
at Flatring in order to secure victory, yet he gets an invite to COB '07

*I notice Andy uses the word "training", training or not if you're out on your bike all day, then by definition you're riding! Hmmmm... Flatland politics... :rolleyes:

Si.

Offline JFos

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2007, 06:20:45 PM »
...""training" all day long with the only aim to win comps, but that´s not what flatland is all about"

flatland isnt..but the damned contest is...I dont get it.

I mean you dont need to organize a contest to watch a guy trying a trick 300 times then getting close.. Or to even express what flatland is... Seams Bobby is doing more WORLDWIDE (shameless) to capture  anyhow...its the very same reason we ID riders as non contest types that DO hold down video parts very well.

I mean a Dane Beardsley reps what flatland is more than anyone to some degree...but I understand him not being invited to circle of balance...a Jody Temple...i get. its just how can you claim battle format then toss our Justin when their battle probably has been the most memorable in recent years.

He needs to to "splain" this in better detail. He didnt "fix" that PR.

and Chris its in Japan..I dont think Jeff D's allowed back in the country..lol.

It semas his explanation has nothing to do with riding skill....period.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2007, 06:26:50 PM by JFos »
Schramm’s Law: “The single most important contributor to a nation’s economic growth is the number of startups that grow to a billion dollars in revenue within 20 years.”

TJ Perry

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2007, 06:21:24 PM »
Another thing I don't get, is if you're being invited to one of the biggest contests in the world, why WOULDN'T you "train" for it? That is the dumbest thing I've ever heard and obviously this guy has never ridden flatland in his life let alone competed.

planck

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2007, 06:26:52 PM »
Another thing I don't get, is if you're being invited to one of the biggest contests in the world, why WOULDN'T you "train" for it?

Indeed, talk about self-contradiction!

Si.

Offline blind

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2007, 06:34:01 PM »
where is the point when it stops being about fun,life,ect and starts being training?
good point about jeff,jeff i forgot about that.

that excuss is pretty weak though. and who really cares how long someone has been riding?how can they keep someone out of a contest because of that?if the guy is killing it, he's killing it right?there is about 5 ppl that will be doing the exact same links they did at the last red bull but thats cool cuz they paid there dues.

Offline ColinSmith

• Backpacker
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2007, 06:39:40 PM »
There is an easy answer.... anybody who ever wins a flatland contest should be banned from ever entering another.... they are obviously training far too much and do not represent the true spirit of flatland.

Offline JFos

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2007, 06:48:31 PM »
I think what he is trying to say is that we need more modern day Fred Bloods.