Author Topic: Why not lace your 36h wheels 4 cross?? (pics)  (Read 20160 times)

Offline Who-Leo

• Cliffhanger
Why not lace your 36h wheels 4 cross?? (pics)
« on: January 15, 2009, 05:08:23 PM »
Here is the deal...

I find myself very often trying to figure out spoke length when I want to lace a new wheel set for me or someone else.
My local bike shop owner suggested I lace my wheels 4x. He claims that when you build 4x 36h wheel you can use 195mm no matter what rim or flange diameter you hubs have.
I was not aware of this…
He also mentioned something about when lacing in this pattern… Spoke length only determines the angle of the spokes which is directly proportional to spoke surface against the hub flange for added rigidity.
So I decided to take his advice and lace my new wheels using this pattern. The hubs where the khe geisha front and geisha light FC w the different size flanges.
The end result is a very solid wheel set with no threads sticking out of the back of the spoke nipples.
LMK what you think!
Thanks
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 12:53:19 AM by Who-Leo »
“Impulsive and unfiltered communication usually costs our relationships dearly. Saying what we want, when we want isn’t modern at all—it’s Neanderthal”

Budz

Re: Why not lace your 36h wheels 4 cross??
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 11:01:52 PM »
im all about getting maximum strength out of wheels. :beer: :mellow:
post a pic or 2.
alot of people are unaware that 4x is possible on a 36h wheel.

Budz

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2009, 11:05:18 PM »
also very interesting that u could use a 195mm spoke on both big and small flange of the Geisha lite. id like to see how that came out.

Offline Malo

• Backpacker
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2009, 11:20:55 PM »
In theory you can't lace a 36h wheel 4 cross because the spokes (on the hub side) will be in contact with the next spoke, so the "head" of 1 spoke will located between the straight part of the next spoke and the hub. It means that depending on the thickness of the "head" of the spoke, it has to be bended to avoid it.
Besides if you have to replace a spoke, you will have to remove the next spoke to allow it to enter into the hole...
So it's possible...
But I don't understand :
He claims that when you build 4x 36h wheel you can use 195mm no matter what rim or flange diameter you hubs have.
The website is down but you can visit my profile on facebook :
https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/Pir.Malo

pir.bmx@gmail.com

Offline That Joe Miller

• Cliffhanger
    • Unknown Sports
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2009, 11:31:14 PM »
I have four crossed my 36's with no trouble @ all. I'm running Fly rims and proper magnalite front hub and giesha lite rear. They have given me absolutely zero problems, in fact I'd have to say that these wheels are as strong as any 48's I've ever run. L8r, Joe
That Joe miller

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2009, 12:11:16 AM »
I laced a wheel-set or two 6x some time ago and it's definitely more rigid. The wheels were 48h and were used for street. During which time I rarely bothered truing my wheels and now that I think of it comparing, 6x held truer over time. But hey, that was some time ago when I did such thing because the spokes I had were too long for 4x. Let us know how the lacing turns out on a 36h for you.

Offline Who-Leo

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2009, 12:28:35 AM »

“Impulsive and unfiltered communication usually costs our relationships dearly. Saying what we want, when we want isn’t modern at all—it’s Neanderthal”

Offline out~riding

• Global Team
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2009, 02:23:33 AM »
You can clearly see that the spokes are curved with 4x on 36H.
It wouldn't recommend it. The angle of the spoke in 4x is just to big compared to 3x and that results in less strength (I think so..)
I believe that the wheel will actually flex more like this. It's not the way to go.

Offline escapefrombmx

• Backpacker
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2009, 02:56:44 AM »
You can clearly see that the spokes are curved with 4x on 36H.
It wouldn't recommend it. The angle of the spoke in 4x is just to big compared to 3x and that results in less strength (I think so..)
I believe that the wheel will actually flex more like this. It's not the way to go.

for this one time i agree with you. it's been said and done that 36h works BETTER with 3x, 48h works BETTER with 4x.

having said that, i more than once laced 48h with 5x because no shops around selling BMX spokes with proper length. the wheels flex but they can receive more impact without snapping spokes all that often.

Offline KD

• Hitchhiker
Re: Why not lace your 36h wheels 4 cross?? (pics)
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2009, 03:16:30 AM »
Looks like at the flange,  one spoke crosses over a portion of the spoke head next to it...   Have fun changing a broken spoke...

havok

Re: Why not lace your 36h wheels 4 cross?? (pics)
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2009, 05:31:25 AM »
How often do you guys break spokes?

i can't remember ever breaking one.