Author Topic: Interview: Brett Downs  (Read 6436 times)

Offline Mr News Bot

• Robot
  • GF Inhabitant
    • global-flat
Interview: Brett Downs
« on: January 14, 2007, 10:04:12 PM »
Ramon "moncho" Lopezcolon sent us a great interview he did with Brett Downs:

Since the early 80's, freestyle BMX have been an obsession for many of us here in Puerto Rico. Just like everywhere else we idolized the most creative and progresive group of rider's to ever come together: the Plywood Hoods of York, Pennsylvania. Over the last two years, I have traveled to Philadelphia to visit family and friends, and also to meet and ride with Mr. Brett Downs- one of the least known of the Plywood Hoods. Brett is an incredible rider and person. An individual who appreciates and is proud of his past experiences... read the whole interview.

joelweevil

Re: Interview: Brett Downs
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2007, 05:34:45 AM »
you all need to read brett's interview. the plywood hoods were SOOO influential to the freestyle world. their inspirations help fuel my youth-inspired antics in an empty parking lot. :ph34r:

Offline Punch

• Forkglider
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2007, 09:15:23 AM »
Cool interview, thanks :mellow:

moncho

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2007, 02:35:26 PM »
Thanks to Martin for posting the the Interview here and thanks especially to Brett for sharing his thoughts and life with us.
 -_-

Offline pwh4130

• Backpacker
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2007, 04:57:03 PM »
I never heard of him.

Offline JIMBO420

• Backpacker
  • HARDCORE
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2007, 05:33:43 PM »
Cool interview, moncho&Brett.

Hey Brett, this isnt a knock against you, but the one scene in the Dorkin box set that I always remember, is when you are grinding that rail at a school, and you hit the pole.
Im not even sure which tape it is, but for some reason thats the one scene out of the set that I remember, lol

KEEP SHREDDIN, BROTHER!!!!! :beer:

mutt

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2007, 08:28:51 PM »
ha ha ha
DARN HOODLUM
JUST KIDDIN BRETT..GET IT..HOODLUM
OK ANYWAYSSSSSS...............
YEAH COOL INTERVIEW BRETT

Offline pwh4130

• Backpacker
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2007, 08:39:13 PM »
Thanks, Mutt.

h_man

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2007, 09:36:08 PM »
Nice job Brett good to know you enjoy all aspects of riding.ride on.

mutt

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2007, 12:30:16 AM »
HEE HEE SOMEONE SHOULD HAVE A HOODLUM REUNION INTERVIEW
WITH ALL THE HOODS WHO STILL RIDE OUT THERE....CHASE, KEV,
BRETT, LUNG.

I WOULD READ IT...BEING THE OLD SCHOOL RIDER I AM!

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2007, 01:30:27 PM »
Brett,

Do you have issues switching bikes? I used to have a bully one with bashguard for my street riding, but when I would switch to if from my flat bike, it was so long that manuals were a pain... I could hardly coast them at all. But, on my flat bike I could coast them forever.

I would usually just let the "street" bike sit, and just ride the one bike since I was so used to it.

Offline pwh4130

• Backpacker
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2007, 02:00:22 PM »
My flat and ramp bikes are very different.  but then again, I don't have a "flatlander" ramp style.  I don't like mini ramps and don't do a lot of lip tricks.  I like going fast, jumping big and riding vert.  Flatland bikes aren't meant for going that fast or big.  If I am on little ramps, the flat bike is fine but I'm usually on bigger stuff.

Switching can be tough but only for a couple of minutes.  I used to ride flat and ramps in shows.  Switching bikes there was tough but not too bad.  I ride them both a lot so I don't have too many problems.

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2007, 08:23:33 PM »
ps, you still owe me that travel story...

(you thought I forgot, huh)

I guess I didn't ride the street bike enough to get totally used to it. I just spent too many hours on my flat bike. It was fun to grind on that plastic bashguard...

Offline carl

• Team
  • Hitchhiker
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2007, 11:35:11 PM »
i really enjoyed reading this interview - the best thing i've read about riding anything in a long time...thanks