Author Topic: Macneil seat mods  (Read 26131 times)

Offline jsteady

• GF Inhabitant
    • :P
Re: Mcneil seat mod
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2009, 04:55:25 AM »
i think expanding foam to fill the gaps and then a layer of plasti-dip might be lighter? 

Today's progress:
Well after about 14hrs of dry time the plasti-dip was only 1/5 of the way dry. So it seems like filling it with the dip will take forever with the whole process. I was going to do the expanding foam at first but, I wanted to try this first. So instead, what I did was remove the tape from the inside section on the seat and removed the remaining "Still Liquid" plasti-Dip and filled it with the expanding foam.

Now also. I made a foil-bowl :P and poured the plasti-dip in to. I took the rear section of the seat and dipped it into the bowl. I also grabbed a small paint brush and did the this grips section so it would have more of a KHE feel to it.

In the end this will be an overnight process. This thing should finally be done tomorrow!!

I'll keep you posted!

TJ Perry

Re: Mcneil seat mod
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2009, 12:35:43 PM »
i know its a lil late but can u guys post before and after weights??

who f*cking cares honestly.

my mod. chop it in half.

how it looks on the bike for all you faggots who care about that sort of thing..

Offline jsteady

• GF Inhabitant
Re: Mcneil seat mods
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2009, 01:30:39 PM »
So, this is what I have this morning. I'm going to let it dry a little more while I'm at work and when I get home, I'm going to cut down all of the excess stuff.

Personally, other than looking like sh*t it really feels good that this point!

Offline Ultraman Zoffy

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2009, 12:12:57 PM »
"... before and after weights"??

Seriously now...

TJ Perry

« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2009, 10:09:39 PM »
"... before and after weights"??

Seriously now...

Wondering the weight of this seat before and after chopping it up is like trying to optimize the flight of a hummingbird by plucking out tail feathers.

the beard

« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2009, 11:21:05 PM »
the Mcneil is the lightest pivotal flatland seat to my knowledge...I mean basically it's the only one.  cut up it's lighter. on mine, I took off, just guessing, maybe an ounce. maybe. expandable foam is light as sh*t, so I figure I broke even or lost a couple boogers' worth of weight. it's a silly question, but I'm glad to answer  ^_^

Offline jsteady

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2009, 01:00:57 AM »
OK, here's the weight:

340g "as per Flatlandfuel
345g "after modification"

That would be a weight gain of 0.0104 lbs.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 05:17:09 AM by JSteady »

Offline jsteady

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2009, 05:00:01 AM »
Final Product!!!  It's not perfect but it's feels much better than the KHE seat!!

I wouldn't mind trying this again.. It was more of a trial and error process.

Hope this helps everyone!!!

ENJOY!!

TJ Perry

« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2009, 06:29:04 AM »
I think if that seat had a rear grip like the 99er, it would be the most perfect seat on the market. Shame it has such a weird feeling to it. I have big hands, so my fingers get jammed up into the bottom. I'm just using it for back wheel stuff so I'm not squatting on a painful plastic seat, but still... for damn near 30 bucks... It should be nice to hold.

the beard

« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2009, 06:36:36 AM »
but still... for damn near 30 bucks... It should be nice to hold.

if this thread had a motto, that would be it, exactly. it's my hope that somehow by the existance of this conversation, an updated version will be available in the future, geared more to rider input. which I would buy and buy again. for however long I ride.

Mcneil, the people have spoken. we want a slimmer, more comfortable back and shorter nose on your seat in the future.

TJ Perry

« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2009, 07:50:08 AM »

Mcneil, the people have spoken. we want a slimmer, more comfortable back and shorter nose on your seat in the future.

It doesn't need to be slimmer. It just needs to have rounded grips. What is there now jams your fingers into the bottom of the seat and isn't practical at all. I mean it works for some, but it's not nearly as comfortable as a 99er was.

And yeah, shorter nose. I don't think prostate support is among the primary concerns of most riders.

Offline Paved Paradise

• GF Inhabitant
  • -Flatland 4 Life-
« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2009, 08:32:59 AM »
word. honestly i think colony or macneil should do it up.

seriously make the handle smaller, rounder nicer on the hands. cuz the deep thing is
honestly horrible on hands I have big hands too.. its just not even enjoyable to ride.

Note-havnt ridden it yet. but still i know its gonna.

But anyways somthing soft like the khe seat. and def short front.
like at least shoter like where the bolt is on the seat take that much off.

but im having mine modded;)

so for now ill be content, but like jim said i would buy it till the end of my riding days
if they made it. so SOMEONE MAKE IT. xD

RIDE HARD
~The Bike and the Rider make the ARTFORM..
   Not the artist/utensil used..its the end product they both make, thats Beautiful~

@(x_X)@ Justin Doyon @(X_x)@
                   Ride on!

the beard

« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2009, 08:55:05 PM »
Today I unearthed a ton of old pictures I had on an external hard drive. This is what I did to my previous Mcneil seat. Lots of sanding and whatnot to make it silky. For as weird as it looks, it was surprisingly comfortable to sit on:

Offline mid_night gypsy

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2009, 01:09:10 AM »
 I just did these two mods. Both the grip handle and cutting the nose. I was amazed by how much more responsive the bike handled with the new grip. I still need to fill in the back and am thinking of using black permatex silcone as a filler. Hot glue work out really nice on the seat I practice on before doing my colony seat. Great how-to...props........Russ

Offline Paved Paradise

• GF Inhabitant
  • -Flatland 4 Life-
« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2009, 09:13:50 AM »
jon modded mine all up for me. =P

cut front, and custom handle.

pretty stoked. custom colony seat to man =]
~The Bike and the Rider make the ARTFORM..
   Not the artist/utensil used..its the end product they both make, thats Beautiful~

@(x_X)@ Justin Doyon @(X_x)@
                   Ride on!