Author Topic: Macneil seat mods  (Read 26134 times)

the beard

Macneil seat mods
« on: January 01, 2009, 07:06:12 AM »
very fast (15min) mod to the mcneil seat to make the back of it shallower, and easier to grab. I'd like to fill the cavities with something that is smooth or can be sanded smooth. I'm open to suggestions. I rode it tonight and it feels a thousand times more comfortable to grab than stock. The back part of the seat had about 5/8" material removed, so it's quite a bit thinner.  

« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 05:07:22 PM by prana »

Offline Paved Paradise

• GF Inhabitant
  • -Flatland 4 Life-
Re: Mcneil seat mod
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2009, 07:18:28 AM »
WORD!!!

If mines like that im doing mine up modded too man

looks sick jim. alot nicer.
~The Bike and the Rider make the ARTFORM..
   Not the artist/utensil used..its the end product they both make, thats Beautiful~

@(x_X)@ Justin Doyon @(X_x)@
                   Ride on!

Offline JonMack

• Hitchhiker
    • JonMack
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2009, 04:21:03 PM »
Could fill it with bondo, or would that be a bit too heavy?

the beard

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2009, 04:39:49 PM »
Could fill it with bondo, or would that be a bit too heavy?

yeah, probably so; I'm a weight freak. The one other idea I've had so far is that expanding foam.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2009, 07:47:32 PM by pranatx »

Offline JonMack

• Hitchhiker
    • JonMack
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2009, 05:34:47 PM »
That sounds like a much better idea.

Offline EZChris

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2009, 07:56:14 PM »
Looks really good, I might do this myself - let me know when you find out how to fill those holes

they look really nasty atm, but if you can get a good solution to the holes then im all over it.

Proud member of the Spaff Cartel.

the beard

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2009, 08:04:00 PM »
Looks really good, I might do this myself - let me know when you find out how to fill those holes

they look really nasty atm, but if you can get a good solution to the holes then im all over it.

will do!

*the edges look a bit funky in the shots, but they've all been sanded and deburred, so no sharp spots :)

Offline mid_night gypsy

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2009, 08:50:49 PM »

Nice mod, I like it, looks good. You could use a hot glue gun to fill in the holes....Russ

Offline EZChris

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2009, 09:25:20 PM »
Its hard to tell the size of the holes but id be more worried about catching a finger in there rather than the sharp edges.

A layer of fabric or somthing over them would stop your fingers going into them, its just how to fasten it all down.
Proud member of the Spaff Cartel.

Offline Paradoxium

• Administrator
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2009, 01:48:37 AM »
Plastic welding is the solution. Using the piece you cut off, weld it back over the holes with this.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/PLASTIC-WELDER-KIT-FOR-CANOE-KAYAK--ALL-PLASTIC-REPAIRS_W0QQitemZ180315776813QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20081223?IMSfp=TL081223123001r5359

Second option would be to cut it from the inside somehow with a dremel or grinder, removing all the unwanted areas, then bend it over the holes and finishing it off nicely with a file. Then you will need black silicone, and sparingly seal it up.  Cure time is 24 to 48 hrs.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 01:51:38 AM by Paradoxium »

the beard

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2009, 02:40:18 AM »
Plastic welding is the solution. Using the piece you cut off, weld it back over the holes with this.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/PLASTIC-WELDER-KIT-FOR-CANOE-KAYAK--ALL-PLASTIC-REPAIRS_W0QQitemZ180315776813QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20081223?IMSfp=TL081223123001r5359

Second option would be to cut it from the inside somehow with a dremel or grinder, removing all the unwanted areas, then bend it over the holes and finishing it off nicely with a file. Then you will need black silicone, and sparingly seal it up.  Cure time is 24 to 48 hrs.

that welder is pretty cool, but seriously expensive. tomorrow I hope to get this thing done. I'll let ya'll know how it turns out and post a pic. to EZChris: those holes are fairly small. I wasn't able to stick a finger in one, which is good :)

Offline Felon_Monk

• Hitchhiker
  • Okinawa Japan... Moving to Tokyo: May 2009
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2009, 02:48:00 AM »
RTV .. its a silcon type adhesive.. trust me.. turn the bike upside down, put something in the holes.. rough up the inside of the holes so the adhesive will stick and then fill it up to the top. Its really light, you can get it in black to match the plastic, it sticks and forms really well long as you dont play with it too much, it will cure in about 12 hours AND, its removable. It will take some cuts but once you chunk the big peices out, you can just use a pair of needle nose pliers and pull the rest of the stuff of..

DISCLAIMER: i have never tried this on plastic. We use on metal on my job for temp patching of pressurized areas... I think its made for metal but im 90% sure it will work on plastic also..
My Ride: Quamen G8
07 Otokogi - Zerosiki DEAD

Offline Mike Dood

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2009, 03:20:25 AM »
Jim you could try 3M Window-Weld Super Fast Urethane.... it's like RTV but dries more like a solid plastic...I used it a lot for modifying motor mounts on cars.

They sell it at Autozone and Advance auto...I dunno how it would hold up to repeated drops though...I dunno what really would hold up to that other than the original plastic mold other than hardware???
« Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 03:23:27 AM by Mike Dood »

the beard

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2009, 08:19:30 PM »
Well, the seat mod is pretty much done. I feel good about it. In a little bit once it's cured I'll try it out, but it seems like a success.  I used Great Stuff expanding foam (under $5), masking tape, wide chisel, a rag, some solvent, and a hair dryer.

I don't have pictures of the actual removal of plastic (step 1), but here's how I did it-keep in mind I have access to a LOT of tools.  First I 'drew a line' with masking tape on the outside of the seat marking the material to be removed. Next, I used an angle grinder with 80g paper to trim down the seat to the desired size.  Next, I used a jitterbug with 240 grit paper to remove flash and smooth out edges. A die grinder with maroon scotchbrite was used next to smooth the finger-holds. Finally, a pad sander with grey scotchbrite was used to give the entire area a silky, even finish.  I took a burrwhip to the insides of the pockets and removed the burrs. Finally, I blew out all the chips with air.  Keep in mind I had a shop full of tools on hand. much of this can be done with tools more readily available to the general rider.

this first step proved to be a really good idea. it kept the foam from getting all over the place.

a shot of the stuff I used to finish the seat; just things on hand.

I put a bit too much in there :)

chisel was used to pick off the excess, and tape was removed. I sprayed solvent on the rag and cleaned up the overspray.

I am impatient by nature :)

effect of heat

and the finished product, light, soft, and paintable.

*mods, please move this to the "How To" section
cheers

Offline Erik Otto

• GF Inhabitant
  • The Brotherhood for life.
    • Monolithic Flatland
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2009, 08:45:36 PM »
Nice work Jim!  Never underestimate the creativity of a flatlander.

How sad is it that this seat has to be modded (is that a word?) so that it is usable?

Macneil are you paying attention?  Please for the love of god, go back to the drawing board on this one for next year.  Someone please go to the powers that be at Macneil or through Travis Collier and have them address this.  All they have to do is get there hands on the KHE watanabe seat flip it over, look at the hand hold and somehow marry that design to their seat.  It's not rocket science.