Author Topic: Back brake, F-set roto, and Hook stem :S  (Read 3368 times)

Offline thatunderscoreguy

• Funky Chicken
Back brake, F-set roto, and Hook stem :S
« on: December 24, 2008, 04:37:23 PM »
I'm having trouble with these three in conjuction, the Hook stem is too wide and obstructing the hole for the back brake. I could leave both the stem and the brake on at a dodgy angle, and watch my bike slowly get destroyed, or I could take off the stem or the back brake.

What do you guys reckon?

Worth taking off the back brake and hope that It will help me learn faster (I'm not very good yet, can almost pull off a tailwhip, backwards wheelie)

OR should I take off the stem, as the weight difference isnt very much (But i will have wasted money)

Cheers

Offline Matt Hulgan

• Backpacker
Re: Back brake, F-set roto, and Hook stem :S
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2008, 04:52:08 PM »
I'm having trouble with these three in conjuction, the Hook stem is too wide and obstructing the hole for the back brake. I could leave both the stem and the brake on at a dodgy angle, and watch my bike slowly get destroyed, or I could take off the stem or the back brake.

What do you guys reckon?

Worth taking off the back brake and hope that It will help me learn faster (I'm not very good yet, can almost pull off a tailwhip, backwards wheelie)

OR should I take off the stem, as the weight difference isnt very much (But i will have wasted money)

Cheers

Take off the stem and either save it for your next frame or sell it so you loss is not too great.  If you're just beginning I'd recommend keeping the back brakes and minimizing the frustrations that come in the early stages of flatland. 

Offline flatlandfan

• Backpacker
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2008, 06:01:37 PM »
You'll want your back brakes on for when it comes time to land those tailwhips. It makes it a tiny bit easier since you can keep the bike from rolling backwards with the brake when the back wheel comes down.

Do you have a picture? Is there a way to modify something to get it all working?

I've had a few small incompatibilities like that happen in the road to building my complete. Now I try to ask a bunch of questions to make sure everything will work before I purchase anything. As you have found, some parts don't go together well.

In my case, it was my Suelo II forks with my gyro and my Mike S bars, but I Was able to modify things and make it work until I got new Ody forks.   
« Last Edit: December 24, 2008, 06:04:26 PM by flatlandfan »

Offline Ken NJ

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2008, 08:18:17 PM »
maybe you could try to drill the hole for the cable bigger..x2 for pic..
flat rules everything around me f.r.e.a.m.